Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With Sky saying he's turned down 2 contracts from us and that we have (very quickly) turned down two offers from Leeds (latest at £22m) suggests to me that he is, wisely, holding out on a new contract until his "value" has been confirmed. Every time Leeds up the if, he can and will ask for a little more money from TB. As soon as Leeds back off, he has to jump quickly for the contract on the table at that point (as he wouldn't want to run out his existing contract).

Brinkmanship but already looking like a tactical ploy from him to get the best deal out of staying than genuinely wanting to leave imho.

Not only that. His agents will be talking to the Albion about the amount of game time he’d get. He’d be first on the team sheet at Leeds Utd. I can’t see Ben signing his new multi million pound 4 or 5 year contract here until Duffy and/or Dunk have moved on.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This is a bit of a non-story.

Leeds were always going to bid and we were always going to reject.

And in terms of his contract, I am sure we have been in talks with his agent about an extension. But it's not in Ben White's interest to sign a new contract with us right now. He is better off waiting to see if an actual big club comes in for him (e.g Liverpool) and then if not, once the transfer window is closed he would likely sign a new contract.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
With Sky saying he's turned down 2 contracts from us and that we have (very quickly) turned down two offers from Leeds (latest at £22m) suggests to me that he is, wisely, holding out on a new contract until his "value" has been confirmed. Every time Leeds up the bid, he can and will ask for a little more money from TB. As soon as Leeds back off, he has to jump quickly for the contract on the table at that point (as he wouldn't want to run out his existing contract).

Brinkmanship but already looking like a tactical ploy from him to get the best deal out of staying than genuinely wanting to leave imho.

On the brinkmanship point, I’m backing Tony.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I can’t agree with that. If that was our mentality then Dunk and Stephens would have gone years ago and we might not be where we are today. Defeatist attitude. We are bigger than Leeds now in all areas that matter, apart from delusion of course.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well I'm afraid I'm another Brighton supporter who regards Leeds as a much bigger club than ourselves. We are being delusional if we think we can match the worldwide support of Leeds, the passion of their supporters,their rivalry with the likes of Man U, the trophies they have won, the great players who have been household names. We could go on and on. We have done so well to narrow the gap and we are probably the closest we have ever been and possibly likely to be. All this doesn't alter the fact we are in the driving seat in all transfer negotiations with ANY club who wishes to secure his services.
I doubt Ben White will have little to say about who he plays for next season but if Leeds make an offer we cant refuse then we would be silly not to except a huge offer.
Its unlikely Ben White will play for Leeds just because he may prefer to play for them, it's all down to money and Leeds wont compete with the big boys if they wave their chequebook around.
Any scenario it's a win win for us.

Spot on... put far better than I could manage!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s a simple step hypothesis, acoording to sky we’ve offered two new deals... these will not be derisory, yet they have reportedly been turned down. Leeds are bidding, I suspect with his and his agents blessing... he will not be being guaranteed first pick, and quite rightly so... yet at Leeds, he’ll be being promised the world and more.

Thus I propose he has made his decision.

Personally I HATE the idea of keeping a player who doesn’t want to stay.

But you’re making a big leap there.

The “he’s turned down contracts from Brighton”, firstly came from Leeds fans tweets. So is questionable to begin with, and secondly as others have mentioned it’s sensible for BW to wait in case a City or Liverpool come in for him this window.

We have him under a good contract, so there’s no pressure on us to renew.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not only that. His agents will be talking to the Albion about the amount of game time he’d get. He’d be first on the team sheet at Leeds Utd. I can’t see Ben signing his new multi million pound 4 or 5 year contract here until Duffy and/or Dunk have moved on.

Duffy must know that he's surplus to requirements now. A huge part of the team's success since joining us but doesn't have the right skills to play Potterball.

Question mark over Dunk. Not sure how much longer he can stay here and still have a successful career at a 'big club'. Much as I'm sure he loves it here, it's a bit now or never for him to have that shot at big money and England call ups - just won't get the money/attention here, even if he is very happy as our captain.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Crikey, I'm glad some on this board aren't anywhere near our transfer dealings. Why on earth would we accept £30m for a player who was widely regarded as the best in the Championship last year who is 22 years of age, touted as a future England player and effectively has 3 years left on his contract with us? Mental.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

Well I'm afraid I'm another Brighton supporter who regards Leeds as a much bigger club than ourselves. We are being delusional if we think we can match the worldwide support of Leeds, the passion of their supporters...

You don’t think we are as passionate as Leeds fans???

Please expound on this. I’m genuinely baffled?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It’s not his decision to make, he’s contracted to us.

So you advocate keeping him (tied) to his current deal?!? I’m sure he’ll be delighted by that, not to mention fully motivated... hmmmm he’s either holding us to ransom or forcing Leeds to meet our valuation... I say again, I dislike upstart unproven PL entities attempting to derail our wage structure based on one good season in the championship. If I’m wrong, obviously I’m doing him a disservice, but I suspect he’ll be gone by next weekend.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Crikey. I'm glad some on this board aren't anywhere near our transfer dealings, why on earth would we accept £30m for a player who was widely regarded as the best in the Championship last year who is 22 years of age, touted as a future England player and effectively has 3 years left on his contract with us. Mental.

Thank you...

Exactly this, thankfully those in charge at our club are more forward thinking

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Thank you...

Exactly this, thankfully those in charge at our club are more forward thinking

I’m amazed anyone thinks he’s worth more than 30 million based on a season flat track bullying Luton Town et al in a broken and uncompetitive championship.

Hey ho... 50 million it is.

Madness.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Crikey, I'm glad some on this board aren't anywhere near our transfer dealings. Why on earth would we accept £30m for a player who was widely regarded as the best in the Championship last year who is 22 years of age, touted as a future England player and effectively has 3 years left on his contract with us? Mental.

Spot on. He’s obviously had his head turned and probably is angling a move to increase his wages. Can’t blame him to a degree but he’s our player and he’ll have to take his head out of the clouds and get on with it at Albion.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So you advocate keeping him (tied) to his current deal?!? I’m sure he’ll be delighted by that, not to mention fully motivated... hmmmm he’s either holding us to ransom or forcing Leeds to meet our valuation... I say again, I dislike upstart unproven PL entities attempting to derail our wage structure based on one good season in the championship. If I’m wrong, obviously I’m doing him a disservice, but I suspect he’ll be gone by next weekend.

If he is gone by next weekend that I for one would be happy. No point in tying a player to a contract he doesn't want to be in. And Leeds will have offered something TB considers fair.

Likewise, if he starts for us in Sept, I will be happy because it will show he is committed to being here and being part of the next push.

Win-win in that regard. The only downside is if too many people have been blowing smoke up his arse and telling him he's a God and actually he can't step up to the pace of the PL immediately. Will wipe out any confidence he has and potentially kill his career.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

He isn’t tied to his current contract though, as I’m sure that we have or will offer him a new one. What did Stephens do when we rejected Burnley bids and his own transfer request. He knuckled down and got on with it and it turned out as a win/win.
At present there’s no sign that Ben wants away, anyway.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I’m amazed anyone thinks he’s worth more than 30 million based on a season flat track bullying Luton Town et al in a broken and uncompetitive championship.

Hey ho... 50 million it is.

Madness.

Yeah **** it just because he's played against Luton for two games last season, he's not going to be able to step up to the Premier League, we'd be lucky to get 50 quid and a pack of quavers...

In all seriousness, of course the Premier League is an entirely different proposition but if you look at some of his play in isolation and the progression he has made from Newport County to the best player in the Championship in a few seasons, why on earth would we sell him for £30m? It's not as if we could reinvest the money and guarantee success elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here