Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
reckon we are open to sensible offers, just not to direct competitor Leeds. if Liverpool offered around 25-30m we'd agree to let him talk, im sure they'd convince him playing in alongside van Dijk, competing for title and champions league is a better propostion than Leeds.

or we could put him into our plans and forego the pay day, or hold out not play him and risk a disgruntled player. eitherways, i dont see him playing for Leeds next season.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-leeds-prepare-new-ben-white-bid-also-want-manchester-city-youngster/

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
The only way the club can lose out on a Ben White deal is if the lad is nowhere good enough for the PL. You would then be kicking yourself you didn’t take the £20m +.

You would also be kicking yourself if you sold White and he ended up being worth £80m in the future.
In my experience, outside football, my biggest regrets have always been selling too early.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
worth noting if he refuses to sign a contract we would likely get less for him next summer

Absolutely depends on how he conducts himself next season. If he plays and he’s as good as the hype, there will be NO doubt that he’s PL/CL quality and the length of remaining contract will be more than offset by the number of suitors and the fact that he’ll be just 24 years old. And, if he plays well, he’ll sign a new contract with a staggering release clause built in because no one (not least his agent) will pass up a year’s worth of substantially increased earnings... they’re too ****ing greedy

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You would also be kicking yourself if you sold White and he ended up being worth £80m in the future.
I my experience, outside football, my biggest regrets have always being selling too early.

unless you inserted sizeable resell clause (which I'm sure Bloom would), but of the clubs you wouldnt trust to actually honour it or try and weasle out of it, Leeds would be up there with Palace.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
reckon we are open to sensible offers, just not to direct competitor Leeds. if Liverpool offered around 25-30m we'd agree to let him talk, im sure they'd convince him playing in alongside van Dijk, competing for title and champions league is a better propostion than Leeds.

or we could put him into our plans and forego the pay day, or hold out not play him and risk a disgruntled player. eitherways, i dont see him playing for Leeds next season.

Why?

Accepting £25m would be a terrible decision.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Absolutely depends on how he conducts himself next season. If he plays and he’s as good as the hype, there will be NO doubt that he’s PL/CL quality and the length of remaining contract will be more than offset by the number of suitors and the fact that he’ll be just 24 years old. And, if he plays well, he’ll sign a new contract with a staggering release clause built in because no one (not least his agent) will pass up a year’s worth of substantially increased earnings... they’re too ****ing greedy

This, if the rumours are true and we've got an option on another year we would still have two more years to run on his current deal at the end of the coming season. Even if he doesn't sign a new deal right now he's not going to accept sitting on 10k a week for another 3 years when there is a contract that could potentially quadruple his pay sat waiting to be signed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This, if the rumours are true and we've got an option on another year we would still have two more years to run on his current deal at the end of the coming season. Even if he doesn't sign a new deal right now he's not going to accept sitting on 10k a week for another 3 years when there is a contract that could potentially quadruple his pay sat waiting to be signed.

reports in press that Leeds are preparing 3rd bid. I wonder if this will be their make or break bid (they will have to move on at some point), you'd guess 25 ish + potential add ons (what will TB do?)

Of course TB and the club are professionals and will handle it as such, but if I could be chairman for a week. I'd tell them, I need a few days to think it over, then go awol, let them try and chase me up a few times as their desperation for an answer increases, before finally refusing again. Nothing like creating a crisis out of a drama. :moo:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

Your last sentence is the clue. We're not prepared to let him go, even at market value. So, if any club DID want him, they would have to pay around double market value.

Correct.

And this is the crux of the matter that seemingly all Leeds fans (and some of our fans don’t get).

It is not our job to give fair market value.

“But but he’s played just one season in the Championship you idiot, how can he be worth £40m lolz?”

I repeat, it is NOT our job to give fair and reasonable market value. He is not for sale. Therefore any interested party would need to make an over the odds offer.

I am genuinely astonished so many can’t grasp this.

“But wait, you would turn down £30m now?? We don’t even need him lol”

Whatever you think about him as a player. He is an asset under contract to us. To sell now, on the eve of his Premier League debut season, where he has a good chance of an England call up would be utter lunacy. His price can literally double in a years time.

And then that’s just the business side.

When was the last time we had big clubs sniffing around one of our young players? Being mentioned by the England manager so early on?

And there are Albion fans quite happy to accept the first bids. Astonishing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Written by a presumably unpaid 'aspiring sports journalist' (because this will be 'great exposure') who happens to be a Leeds fan. About as credible as it gets.

Going by that article they seem to be getting overly excited about signing a 16 and 18 year old from Ireland and another 18 year old from Wigan. Development squad players at best but Leeds fans making them out as something more. Meanwhile we've signed a player who won the Premier League and Champions League in the last year or so and another player who reached the CL semi finals last season. I know who's business I'd consider better at this stage of the window.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Very unlikely £45m keeps them up. They'd have to spend very well

The below link suggests £31.5m is the highest ever paid for a Championship player.....................(and the highest for a defender as we know is Webster at around £20m). The numbers being bandied around for White are quite daft for someone totally untested at the top level....double that paid for Webster ? Can't see it happening, even if we were prepared to let him go.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cha...n_id//altersklasse//leihe//w_s//zuab/0/plus/1

English - tick
22 years old - tick
Problem position for big clubs - tick
Rated by many outside the interested clubs - tick
Championship sale price record a few years old - tick
More than one club in the running - tick

Ridiculously, he could easily top £40m.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Correct.

And this is the crux of the matter that seemingly all Leeds fans (and some of our fans don’t get).

It is not our job to give fair market value.

sure, if we want him to take part in the first team this season. otherwise, he is a valuable asset and need to secure the best return. if he is inclinded to leave, go to Leeds etc, better to let him move on to Liverpool or elsewhere. the business side would know the market rate for a promising but untested player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only way the club can lose out on a Ben White deal is if the lad is nowhere good enough for the PL. You would then be kicking yourself you didn’t take the £20m +.

But he has ALREADY proven himself worth the £20m that we paid for Webster, by being the best defender in the Championship, proving the final bit of the jigsaw that saw Leeds to PL riches. that on his CV is worth £20m to a top championship club, REGARDLESS of what happens next season.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Once again ridiculous drivel from ex Leeds player. Interesting the 5 mill bit if relegation avoided....I though they were meant to win the league..

Why the hell would you help them bank another 150 million by getting just 5 for the privilege? What if we finished 3rd bottom and they 4th bottom. They gain 150, we lose 150, half our squad and get 5 million bonus?

and this crap from an ex pro Leeds player of him being held against his will. I think we have a duty of care to protect Ben from this dangerous brain washing cult.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But he has ALREADY proven himself worth the £20m that we paid for Webster, by being the best defender in the Championship, proving the final bit of the jigsaw that saw Leeds to PL riches. that on his CV is worth £20m to a top championship club, REGARDLESS of what happens next season.

We, a premier league club for two years with at least one more premier league season ahead of us, paid 20m for a top championship player who had potential to be a premier league player. IF Ben White flops in the premier league, would we really expect a championship side at least a year away from premier league football, if not more, to spend 20m on a centre back they now know can't make the step up?

Much of Ben White's worth is potential. A bad season can take that away.

(again, I feel compelled to write because some people (not you hans) struggle with nuance, grey areas, and complexity, no, I'm not saying we should sell him).

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We, a premier league club for two years with at least one more premier league season ahead of us, paid 20m for a top championship player who had potential to be a premier league player. IF Ben White flops in the premier league, would we really expect a championship side at least a year away from premier league football, if not more, to spend 20m on a centre back they now know can't make the step up?

Much of Ben White's worth is potential. A bad season can take that away.

(again, I feel compelled to write because some people (not you hans) struggle with nuance, grey areas, and complexity, no, I'm not saying we should sell him).

And some struggle counting years :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here