Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Uh, not enjoying this transfer window at all. All the fun of Lallana and Veltman at the beginning, now checking in to see if Dunk or White are off. Just eight weeks left to go!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sell him and strengthen the attack which still needs major work. Can’t miss a player I’ve never seen play for us. I did see him play against Arsenal for Leeds Lacazette sold him down the river a few times unlike Webster who’s had him in his back pocket. Every Championship defender needs time to adjust to the PL the question is will he ever get a chance can’t see him dislodging Dunk/Webster.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Cavani move back on to Benfica. Poor Leeds. Got probably the worst squad ever to get promoted and not close to signing anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That simply isn’t true about “worst ever squad”, look at Blackpool and Derby who came up through the play-offs. Or Ipswich in the late 90s.

And Harrison going to set them back at least 10m.

Harrison is on loan until end of 20/21 season, with the option to buy then.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I posted this on another forum and just joined NSC, so here goes...

OPINION: Selling Ben White (at any price) would show a LACK OF AMBITION

tldr; selling Ben White is the wrong move IMO. Even for £30m. What are we going to spend it on? A Locadia? Andone? Jahanbakhsh? Highly talented AMBITIOUS young english players are hard to come by (and attract to Brighton). Even if you spend a large amount of money, at our level, it only guarantees a player who likes money, not AMBITION. Plus, why give a rival like Leeds any type of advantage? Let’s keep him and keep building. Keep the gems, sell the rest.
(EDIT: to add, with all the money in the world we still can't attract top players until we can offer them something more in return, like a shot at Europe)

I have to get this out of my system. It’s cathartic I guess!

SITUATION:

According to Sky Sports Brighton have rejected two bids from Leeds of £18.5m and £22m.

White has rejected renewed contract offers from Brighton.

We have him on a two year contract with an option to extend (so basically a three year contract).

SOURCE: https://www.skysports.com/football/...te-brighton-reject-22m-leeds-bid-for-defender

BEN WHITE:

Ben White has been developed through our youth academy since 2014. He has had loans at Newport (Division 2), Peterborough (Division 1), Leeds (Championship).

He has been lauded as the next Rio Ferdinand and played every single minute of Leeds Championship title winning campaign.

He oozes confidence, is composed, has a commanding presence, is a great passer of the ball.

He’s Potter’s perfect player tbh.

SOURCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pz6q6uZ0uk

THE MEDIA, SOCIAL MEDIA:

Honestly it’s all clickbait and opinions.

Also the media is being used as usual as part of whatever negotiations are happening (hopefully on White’s new contract).

WHAT’S ACTUALLY BEEN SAID:

POTTER wants to keep him and has him playing in the first team next season.

SOURCE: https://www.skysports.com/football/...-expects-ben-white-to-develop-into-top-player

THE CLUB is likely negotiating a new contract but also stated that the one he signed before he went to Leeds is pretty good (can’t find the source but it seems like regular negotiation tactics).

WHITE has thanked Leeds on instagram.

SOURCE: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDL4p29lfp1/

LEEDS have said a LOT and insisted there are more negotiations to come as if the deal is on.

SOURCE: https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/0...n-white-talks-with-brighton-md-admits/464247/

MY OPINION (FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH)

Our development with White has been first class.

He definitely experienced something special at Leeds, can’t deny that. Mutually beneficial I would say.

Comparisons to a young Rio Ferdinand. I think a player of his age, talent and experience in English football is irreplaceable at the moment.

Do we want to climb the premier league table or not? Do we have that ambition of not?

I think selling him, especially to a rival team (likely to be battling for a similar spot in the league) is a sign of lack of ambition.

We basically have a three year contract with him. So let’s keep him for another year. If he wants to go with two years left on his contract then we can think about it.

I’m hoping he really isn’t up for sale and the Leeds boardroom are trying to save face in front of their demanding fans. White also is unlikely to want to make enemies of the fans. He’s not going to flaunt any new deal with Brighton in this atmosphere.

Next year should be a BIG one for our talented young players. They’ve had some time to settle in. I really excited at the prospect of White linking up with Bissouma, Alzate, Lamptey, Connolly, Maupay, Mac Allister, Trossard as well as veterans Lallana, Dunk, etc.

Keep the gems and sell the dross. There are plenty of players we could sell before White.

WHY DID I WRITE THIS?

I dunno. Maybe the Brighton social media team is reading, maybe Ben White is reading, maybe this will reach someone? Maybe it’s cathartic? Obviously I have no power over the situation. It’s frustrating being a Brighton fan sometimes and always being looked down on as a meaningless club. I think we have ambition and maybe this is a “defining moment” that I think is important for the future of the club.

Welcome to NSC.

I for one completely agree with you. I’ve had a few back and forths with some here who seem to think selling Ben White to a rival for circa £25m is a good deal for the club. Going back, pretty much the whole past season.

I have not and still do not see the value in selling a prized hot property at such an early stage of his career.

It doesn’t make sense from a footballing level and from a business perspective.

Additionally the academy is designed to provide us players who can benefit the first team. If Ben White ends up being as good as we hope, we can sell him much further down the line.

As you say, what are we going to spend £30m on who can replace the quality of a young talented English player with a huge amount of potential.

Thankfully those in charge at the club are more forward thinking then most.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

tldr; selling Ben White is the wrong move IMO. Even for £30m. What are we going to spend it on? A Locadia? Andone? Jahanbakhsh? Highly talented AMBITIOUS young english players are hard to come by (and attract to Brighton). Even if you spend a large amount of money, at our level, it only guarantees a player who likes money, not AMBITION. Plus, why give a rival like Leeds any type of advantage? Let’s keep him and keep building. Keep the gems, sell the rest.
(EDIT: to add, with all the money in the world we still can't attract top players until we can offer them something more in return, like a shot at Europe)

SITUATION:

According to Sky Sports Brighton have rejected two bids from Leeds of £18.5m and £22m.

We have him on a two year contract with an option to extend (so basically a three year contract).

SOURCE: https://www.skysports.com/football/...te-brighton-reject-22m-leeds-bid-for-defender

BEN WHITE:

Ben White has been developed through our youth academy since 2014. He has had loans at Newport (Division 2), Peterborough (Division 1), Leeds (Championship).

He has been lauded as the next Rio Ferdinand and played every single minute of Leeds Championship title winning campaign.

He oozes confidence, is composed, has a commanding presence, is a great passer of the ball.

THE MEDIA, SOCIAL MEDIA:

Also the media is being used as usual as part of whatever negotiations are happening (hopefully on White’s new contract).

SOURCE: https://www.skysports.com/football/...-expects-ben-white-to-develop-into-top-player

THE CLUB is likely negotiating a new contract but also stated that the one he signed before he went to Leeds is pretty good (can’t find the source but it seems like regular negotiation tactics).

LEEDS have said a LOT and insisted there are more negotiations to come as if the deal is on.

SOURCE: https://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/0...n-white-talks-with-brighton-md-admits/464247/

He definitely experienced something special at Leeds, can’t deny that. Mutually beneficial I would say.

Comparisons to a young Rio Ferdinand. I think a player of his age, talent and experience in English football is irreplaceable at the moment.

Do we want to climb the premier league table or not? Do we have that ambition of not?

I think selling him, especially to a rival team (likely to be battling for a similar spot in the league) is a sign of lack of ambition.

We basically have a three year contract with him. So let’s keep him for another year. If he wants to go with two years left on his contract then we can think about it.

I’m hoping he really isn’t up for sale and the Leeds boardroom are trying to save face in front of their demanding fans. White also is unlikely to want to make enemies of the fans. He’s not going to flaunt any new deal with Brighton in this atmosphere.

Next year should be a BIG one for our talented young players. They’ve had some time to settle in. I really excited at the prospect of White linking up with Bissouma, Alzate, Lamptey, Connolly, Maupay, Mac Allister, Trossard as well as veterans Lallana, Dunk, etc.

Keep the gems and sell the dross. There are plenty of players we could sell before White.

WHY DID I WRITE THIS?

I dunno. Maybe the Brighton social media team is reading, maybe Ben White is reading, maybe this will reach someone? Maybe it’s cathartic? Obviously I have no power over the situation. It’s frustrating being a Brighton fan sometimes and always being looked down on as a meaningless club. I think we have ambition and maybe this is a “defining moment” that I think is important for the future of the club.

Exceptional first post( mainly cos I agree with everything you say)

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
As you say, what are we going to spend £30m on who can replace the quality of a young talented English player with a huge amount of potential.

Thankfully those in charge at the club are more forward thinking then most.

Yeah, it's not like we can just buy a Van Dijk. It's not just about money.

We have to be in a position to offer top quality players something in return, like European football etc.

We have to get to that position in the league. Where players want to join us.

Or we can spend over the odds on players like Locadia who is more interested in making music (and a nice fat salary).

We've plenty of other players we can sell and get off the wage bill.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

SITUATION:

BEN WHITE:

THE MEDIA, SOCIAL MEDIA:

WHY DID I WRITE THIS?

Absolutely agree 100% with this.
I’m also excited to see BW added to the young talent we have at the club.
Why so many on here want to cash in and make a quick buck amazes me.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
ZERO chance he goes to Leeds for anything less than £40m

Firstly it would make TB look weak in the market and undermine our loan system.

Secondly hes a total Potter type player who clearly would love to be able to play 3 at the back.

Third it would strengthen a relegation rival

Fourth the boy is already being touted by Southgate as an England player.

The absolute joke is that Ostigard and Clark are arguable even better [emoji857]

Anyone even suggesting less than £40m get your tinpot withdean poncho off. Were not that club anymore.

HeadLiner

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
I think it’s probably right to lay out some FACTS, actual quotes and or definitive actions. Ie not heresay.

1. Graham Potter was utterly adamant a few weeks ago that he was looking forward to working with BW and that he’d scouted him whilst at Swansea https://twitter.com/andynaylorbhafc/status/1238875403726532608

2. Dan Ashworth said similarly at the start of the season, paraphrasing (the plan has always been for him to go out on loan and come back to us and play in the first team). “A talent who once back we’re looking to keep here for a number of years” https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/spo...ricky-contract-situation-leeds-united-2848151

3. Ben White himself. There’s a few here who have conjured the scenario that “he wants out”, and or “he’s had his head turned”, but with no facts. How’s this for a fact, BW has not put in a transfer request. If he was desperate to leave do you not think that’d be the easiest way to get things going?

Well here as some more 'facts' for you:

has turned down Brighton offers of a new contract and shows little interest.
his best mate is KP and his GF is a local lass
he has told the club he wants to be there next year
Leeds have bid twice for him and both have been rejected
he would play PL football next season under a world class coach

I think we all know that in modern football a club does not bid for a player unless they have been encouraged to do so by the player via his agent. In fact in most cases personal terms have also been agreed. Sure, you can talk about using it as a bargaining chip but I think we all know it isn't one of those cases.

So what is left is negotiating a good deal. The Mings deal last summer is a good pointer to a fee but with the effects of COVID in mind. I think a fee of 20million plus 2million for PL safety after year 1, a million each for 50 and 100 appearances and 5million for an England cap in a competitive fixture and a 20% sell on clause . . . would be fair. Great player without PL experience. Huge potential but equally some questions over physicality at the top level.

Regards

HeadLiner

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
p.s. I will add that what you never must accept at any club, is a player who doesn't want to be there. We've seen it with Cantona, Kewell, Ferdinand, Currie and McQueen. All you can do is get the best deal you can and get them out. The consequences of not doing so can be difficult and you can see with Bale and Ozil how it can surround a club with negativity unless resolved.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So what is left is negotiating a good deal. The Mings deal last summer is a good pointer to a fee but with the effects of COVID in mind. I think] a fee of 20million plus 2million for PL safety after year 1, a million each for 50 and 100 appearances and 5million for an England cap in a competitive fixture and a 20% sell on clause . . . would be fair. Great player without PL experience. Huge potential but equally some questions over physicality at the top level.

Regards

That part is correct. except it's between Brighton and Ben negotiating a good deal for a new wage structure for him.

What you think is obviously irrelevant because unless you stump up a lot more money he won't be leaving so your fee of 20 million won't get you said player.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
White won't be playing for Leeds next season that I'm certain. As for somebody like Liverpool who knows.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Well here as some more 'facts' for you:

has turned down Brighton offers of a new contract and shows little interest.
his best mate is KP and his GF is a local lass
he has told the club he wants to be there next year
Leeds have bid twice for him and both have been rejected
he would play PL football next season under a world class coach

I think we all know that in modern football a club does not bid for a player unless they have been encouraged to do so by the player via his agent. In fact in most cases personal terms have also been agreed. Sure, you can talk about using it as a bargaining chip but I think we all know it isn't one of those cases.

So what is left is negotiating a good deal. The Mings deal last summer is a good pointer to a fee but with the effects of COVID in mind. I think a fee of 20million plus 2million for PL safety after year 1, a million each for 50 and 100 appearances and 5million for an England cap in a competitive fixture and a 20% sell on clause . . . would be fair. Great player without PL experience. Huge potential but equally some questions over physicality at the top level.

Regards

"facts"

15HLYpo

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
That simply isn’t true about “worst ever squad”, look at Blackpool and Derby who came up through the play-offs. Or Ipswich in the late 90s.

Harrison is on loan until end of 20/21 season, with the option to buy then.

Yep....and going to cost £10m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here