Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Firstly, thank you for providing a point of view from the Leeds fan base.

However I’m sorry to say, you are extremely deluded and being (unintentionally) disrespectful to our club and our chairman.

1. You guys have been away from the top a while now. The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League is MONSTROUS. At times we looked like Barca under Chris Hughton in the Championship, and Knocky was our Messi.

2. Webster was at the level Ben White is now, and it’s taken him most of this season to adapt.

3. There is a world of difference playing against PL strikers, most of which cost more then anyone at your club, compared to whoever’s up front for Wigan these days

4. You casually suggest the sentiment, “oh yeah Ben White will go to Liverpool, but hopefully stays with us..” as if we don’t exist or have a say?

5. You did not make Ben White. He has been highly rated for a long time before we loaned him to you.

There is no scenario where you keep Ben White. Zilch. Even IF he wanted to go (and why would he given the reasons above), you honestly think Tony Bloom would gift one of our relegation rivals such a player? LOL. And why on earth are you guys even discussing a scenario where we sell to Liverpool and they loan him to you? Why would that be in our interests?

Honestly you guys are as arrogant as the Villa fans giving it large the past year, and that’s saying something.

I know it’s hard to accept, but little old Brighton aren’t little anymore. We have a superb chairman who’s an actual fan, a great infrastructure with Ashworth and co. And now have an exciting young, progressive English manager. We are on course to establish ourselves in the PL. in short: we are a club on the up.

If you need a replacement, maybe we could let you have Matt Clarke on loan next year?
I fear you may have wasted your breath. I don’t think Leeds fans get it at all.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
If and it’s a very big if Liverpool or any other club we’re offering £40m for White we’d be mad not to take it.
A striker is our main priority this summer and that money could make all the difference, we got away with it this season, we were lucky IMO.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He definitely could. Duffy has only started 11 games this season though.

Should the club decide to sell Shane it would be interesting to see which Premier League club would want a fearless, dominant in the air, relentlessly hardworking giant who loves defending and is loathed by Blackburn fans.

- Remember how penny-pinching they were over Dale Stephens Tony? Tell them we want Dwight McNeil.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If and it’s a very big if Liverpool or any other club we’re offering £40m for White we’d be mad not to take it.
A striker is our main priority this summer and that money could make all the difference, we got away with it this season, we were lucky IMO.

Assuming the club believes in White and there's not been a single word from them to suggest otherwise, in one years time £40m will look like Tony got mugged off.

How many times do you think that's happened over the years?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d be surprised if Liverpool wanted to spend 40m+ on a player who is totally unproven in the league, maybe after he’s had a season to see how he goes, even in the ridiculous world of football 40m+ for a CB with only one amazing season in the 2nd tier under his belt seems utterly crazy.

Duffy seems like the type of player who is probably frustrated being on the bench, and he’s been very good for us just doesn’t fit perfectly into our style of play, I would be sad to see him move on but I’d understand it from his perspective and ours, he’s at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing. White, hopefully if he has his head screwed on will realise he needs to prove himself and if he has a good pre season he could find himself alongside Dunk, I don’t know much about him as a person though.

The hype over White is dangerous, the strikers and attackers in this league are a HUGE step up and we need to remember that if he does come back, he will need patience as Webster has had.

So true

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I fear you may have wasted your breath. I don’t think Leeds fans get it at all.

TBH, I think most of them do. It is, of course, good fun for us to post links to a few knobheads, but I think most Leeds fans - like #Yorkshireman - are well aware of the situation.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It looks like dirty leeds thought it was try before you buy loan.

They wanted the original loan deal to come with an option to buy, but we told them where to go. I really don't see why after an impressive season in the Championship we'd suddenly want to sell him. Our most promising youngster and possibly better than Lewis Dunk was at the same age.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The most likely options in order are 1) he stays at Brighton for a season or two 2) he moves to a top PL side and we loan him or 3) we sign him on a permanent deal.
I've read that Brighton want to move on Duffy - why couldn't White replace him?

Good post - but you've got option 2 completely wrong - option 2 would be us selling him to a top PL side with a loan back to us, not you.
I think Duffy might well leave this summer to get game time elsewhere - he's been more or less a bit-part player for us this season. I expect White's ambitions will be a little higher than just replacing him!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good post - but you've got option 2 completely wrong - option 2 would be us selling him to a top PL side with a loan back to us, not you.
I think Duffy might well leave this summer to get game time elsewhere - he's been more or less a bit-part player for us this season. I expect White's ambitions will be a little higher than just replacing him!

It's so funny how they think Leeds have a say in White's future.
Leeds fans are unbelievable stupid.

I bet if we play them next season, or White plays against them next season, they will relentlessly boo him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

He wouldn't be able to be loaned to us or any other PL side in the same transfer window, apparently.

I agree with your prediction that Duffy will be sold once the season has concluded, and White will sign a 4 year deal, presumably with a significant salary increase in line with our regular starters. He is an ideal player for GP's style of playing out from the back and will certainly give Webster competition for his place in a 2-man central defence.

We are bloody good at recruiting and developing central defenders, aren't we?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Leeds have as much say in White career / development as Newport County do.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
course. if you ain't wearing our white shirt it doesn't matter who you are or what you did. ;)

loads of factually inaccurate shite from both sides on here, in 15 years some folk are still peddling same agenda, it is almost comforting in a way!

liverpool or whoever would be bonkers to spend 40mil on an unproven 22 year old, different if he's had a season or two scrapping around in the lower reaches of the PL and proven himself, he hasn't. he's been playing luton on a tuesday night who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as liverpool, man city et al. he's done a decent job at leeds but ben white at the back is not what is needed to stay up in pl.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
course. if you ain't wearing our white shirt it doesn't matter who you are or what you did. ;)

loads of factually inaccurate shite from both sides on here, in 15 years some folk are still peddling same agenda, it is almost comforting in a way!

liverpool or whoever would be bonkers to spend 40mil on an unproven 22 year old, different if he's had a season or two scrapping around in the lower reaches of the PL and proven himself, he hasn't. he's been playing luton on a tuesday night who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as liverpool, man city et al. he's done a decent job at leeds but ben white at the back is not what is needed to stay up in pl.

Good post and nice to see you back [MENTION=3003]Starry[/MENTION]

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He wouldn't be able to be loaned to us or any other PL side in the same transfer window, apparently.

That appears to be true. https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

There are ways around the rule, like if Liverpool really wanted him (and wanted to make sure no-one else could come in for him) but wanted him to have a years experience in the PL then we could agree a deal that saw him move at the end of the 20-21 season.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

Mad? Unless we have ambitions of being a top ten club.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just stumbled across this:

But the Reds have been told they must pay more than £35m if they want to sign Brighton's 22-year-old English defender Ben White, who has impressed during a loan spell in the Championship with Leeds United this season. (Football Insider)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just stumbled across this:

But the Reds have been told they must pay more than £35m if they want to sign Brighton's 22-year-old English defender Ben White, who has impressed during a loan spell in the Championship with Leeds United this season. (Football Insider)

That might be acceptable (with add-ons), but only if a workaround is applied so that he plays a season for us and doesn't join Liverpool until 2021.

Yorkshireman

Jun 28, 2020
It's so funny how they think Leeds have a say in White's future.
Leeds fans are unbelievable stupid.

I bet if we play them next season, or White plays against them next season, they will relentlessly boo him.

You have a weird hatred of a club hours from Brighton. Have a word with yourself.

Perhaps - my thinking was on the lines of White's rapid development with us so far and the fact that he's pretty happy here. Can understand why he'd go back to Brighton but it wouldn't make much sense if he wasn't going to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here