Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Will the crossing count as one of the 14 days quarantine?

One idea is book a flexible Eurotunnel fare, best chance of a holiday this summer in Europe. Think forget flying...

I work in aircraft component services and I can tell you, things are looking quite bleak, but mainly for the the airlines, less so for service providers such as us. I am of course, staying positive.

For me, this is the kick up the arse that we needed. Not us in particular, but the airlines. Cheap travel has been great as it's meant more of us can afford to fly, but it's also costly for airlines. EasyJet makes, on average, £90-100 profit on each flight, sometimes, none at all. Because the costs to fly aircraft these days are astronomical, so those profits are nothing. They are so big now though, that it is made up in the sheer number of flights that their aircraft fly plus they have one of the biggest fleets in Europe, so they make a healthy profit, just.

All airlines run like, this unless you are Government backed. This isn't sustainable, not only economically, but environmentally also.

I think this has turned out industry upside down and we'll see some big changes in the coming years, air travel will become more expensive, that's a given. There really does need to be a huge investment into bio-fuels and eventually zero carbon emission aircraft. The technology is there, it's just been brushed to one side for profits by the men in suits, surprise surprise.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ryanair now talking about axing 3000 jobs in a restructure.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryanair now talking about axing 3000 jobs in a restructure.
Ryanair are being absolute tossers about not giving people their money back for cancelled flights.

I hope they go bust, at least then I get 1 or 2 pence in the pound, and a different company can take take over their gap in the market.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ryanair are being absolute tossers about not giving people their money back for cancelled flights.

I hope they go bust, at least then I get 1 or 2 pence in the pound, and a different company can take take over their gap in the market.

No one is going to take any gap in the market for the foreseeable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wizz Air flights resuming today from Luton to Spain, Portugal, Israel etc. How on earth is that allowed to happen when we're supposedly still in lockdown? What gives? ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No one is going to take any gap in the market for the foreseeable.
:shrug:

If there is no demand, then no loss.

I am very, very ANGRY about Ryanair stealing my money, and won't ever be using them again.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Agreed, I would rather take a ferry and then walk than take a Ryanair flight. Michael O’Leary is a despicably arrogant man...imo

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
O'Leary just been interviewed on Radio 4. Said categorically that 'anyone who wants a cash refund can have one' then said 'but it will take many months before they get it because we have a backlog of 25 MILLION refunds to pay with 25% staff working'.

Amazing that they can take the money in seconds but it takes months to comply with legal requirements to refund money.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
O'Leary just been interviewed on Radio 4. Said categorically that 'anyone who wants a cash refund can have one' then said 'but it will take many months before they get it because we have a backlog of 25 MILLION refunds to pay with 25% staff working'.

Amazing that they can take the money in seconds but it takes months to comply with legal requirements to refund money.
I bet he didn't say that all his chat bots go silent when asked about a cash refund, that there is no button on the website, or link, to say that cash is your preference, or that it is impossible to get through on the phones ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Wizz Air flights resuming today from Luton to Spain, Portugal, Israel etc. How on earth is that allowed to happen when we're supposedly still in lockdown? What gives? ???

Complete guess work, but I’m guessing it cargo heavy.

You can still technically travel

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Doesn’t actually apply to Ryanair as they are not on GDS systems but so many major airlines are only permitting online refunds when IATA travel agents could issue a GDS refund in seconds. They are all giving the massive backlog excuse and saying it could take months but it’s just a way of holding onto funds. So frustrating for IATA travel agents having to tell customers they will have to wait for months when we could do it whilst talking to them! We are billed weekly by the airlines and get refunds within the week in normal times. The system still works the same, we are still getting charged for bookings made on a weekly basis, we just can’t process refunds in most cases.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I bet he didn't say that all his chat bots go silent when asked about a cash refund, that there is no button on the website, or link, to say that cash is your preference, or that it is impossible to get through on the phones ?

Anyone who is surprised by the way Ryanair are dealing with this clearly hasn’t been paying attention to how this airline have operated for years, and been very proud of being dicks In the way they operate too!

It’s a cheap airborne bus service, don’t expect customer service too

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's not cargo flights tho, it's passenger flights

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/202...ort-with-enhanced-health-and-safety-measures/

Be interesting to see what checks, if any, are done on passengers on arrival for both the outward and return legs of the flights. Just seems recklessly premature

Seems very odd I agree. But how do people get to and from the airport in lockdown?

Here the borders have been closed for weeks, and before that an enforced two week quarantine for overseas arrivals. We are still locked down (not to the level of the UK) but have had around 6.5k cases and 90 deaths. Seems the complete ban on international travel does make a difference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here