Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52450654

Argentina has banned all internal and international commercial flights until 1 September because of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

The authorities said airlines should not be allowed to sell tickets for flights that may not go ahead in the next four months. Aviation industry groups said thousands of people could lose their jobs. Argentina closed its borders to non-residents in March, imposing tough quarantine measures. The country currently has nearly 4,000 confirmed infections, with 192 deaths, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.

think there is some confusion over banning flights - its more about banning ticket sales for flights unlikely to operate - you can still access fares and tickets through GDS's for countless flights worldwide that are destined never to take off as it stands currently - I think this is more the issue but not such an interesting headline. The media have been appalling throughout this crisis and this is yet more senseless clickbait with far more to it than the "Argentinas banning all flights until September!!!!!" hysteria.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I really can’t see a half empty Gatwick in say 18 months time, things will recover.

If we’re lucky enough to stay healthy, if anything I’d like to travel a bit more once this crisis has eased. Friends and family are similarly minded.

I think we have to ask ourselves what will be left of the global aviation industry in 18 months, until there a vaccine countries countries that have handled things well and ease up will insist in a 14 days quarantine period which essentially kills all short term travel, tourism or business. This summer season is dead in the water for starters

When we do come out of the other end I think we need to be prepared for less choice and higher prices. Glad I had a big holiday last year, going nowhere for the foreseeable future

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think we have to ask ourselves what will be left of the global aviation industry in 18 months, until there a vaccine countries countries that have handled things well and ease up will insist in a 14 days quarantine period which essentially kills all short term travel, tourism or business. This summer season is dead in the water for starters

When we do come out of the other end I think we need to be prepared for less choice and higher prices. Glad I had a big holiday last year, going nowhere for the foreseeable future

To be fair - Spain have released their exit plan / strategy and they seem confident of a July season start in their summer resorts. Although that relies on there not being a relapse

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To be fair - Spain have released their exit plan / strategy and they seem confident of a July season start in their summer resorts. Although that relies on there not being a relapse

What millions of tourists on flights piling in, just how is that going to work?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really? If trans Atlantic travel becomes extraordinarily expensive and you have EuroDisney just a couple of hours away?

EuroDisney is tired and set in a cool/variable climate for half the year, not a patch on visiting the real deal in the States.

Air fares will rise globally, but it’s far too early to say that the hike in price for Orlando will be extraordinary and enough to put large numbers off of going. It’s just one component in a pricey holiday.

Not condoning this, but it wouldn’t surprise me if more UK parents take their kids out of school for holidays to get cheaper deals, not giving a damn what the head or LEA say, taking the penalty on the chin. Pre-covid, I’ve known several tight-arse families on very good money, who did exactly that .... saving a small fortune.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I have this underlying feeling, that worklife, drive-itis and air travel will all bounce back in the not too distant future.

I’ve loved the 3/4 empty roads whilst cycling, and will be sad when that ends.

But the vast majority of people in nations such as the UK are big consumers, drive everywhere, like money and love travel if they can afford it. For better or worse, I don’t see this being a watershed moment where Westerners become forever altruistic and selfless.

The main positives may well be that far more people refuse to commute and insist on WFH, and the NHS will be better funded.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
think there is some confusion over banning flights - its more about banning ticket sales for flights unlikely to operate - you can still access fares and tickets through GDS's for countless flights worldwide that are destined never to take off as it stands currently - I think this is more the issue but not such an interesting headline. The media have been appalling throughout this crisis and this is yet more senseless clickbait with far more to it than the "Argentinas banning all flights until September!!!!!" hysteria.

That's a very interesting post and makes sense, thank you!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can you translate? The bits about allowing overseas tourists back in? Please.

Earliest possible date 22nd June for travel within Spain and possibility of international travel in July.

Would be interesting to see if you could get to Spain by rail or car To then travel around internally

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Just got an airfare alert for Los Angeles to Ecuador return for $150 and US east coast to Athens for $250 return. Not remotely tempted just yet but I wonder how many of these airlines will still be in business later in the year and if this is a cash grab while they can or a genuine attempt to sell tickets?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I imagine there will be a lot of happy climate change activists around for quite some time.

I don’t think so for long.

As time goes, people will realise how miserable an existence it will be on net zero (rationed meat, no more foreign holidays, not being able to drive), they’ll not accept it. There is a fine difference between temporary lock downs and this is it for the rest or your life.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t think so for long.

As time goes, people will realise how miserable an existence it will be on net zero (rationed meat, no more foreign holidays, not being able to drive), they’ll not accept it. There is a fine difference between temporary lock downs and this is it for the rest or your life.

I think you’re right.

People will be raring to go on holiday/travel again.

Many of those who maintained all or most of their income, having found themselves saving through a lack of things to spend on, will want to catch up with their plans.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I wonder if the the ferry routs direct to Spain from Portsmouth & Plymouth would be and option, 24 hour crossing I know but least you could take a car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it does start up again whenever I reccommend the Portsmouth to Bilbao crossing. 24 hrs and sometimes whale watching.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here