Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BA laying off 12,000

That is a hammer blow to the aviation industry as well as the travel industry in the UK imo. BA accepting that they are going to shrink big time for the foreseeable future.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That is a hammer blow to the aviation industry as well as the travel industry in the UK imo

I’m doubtful it will recover

Gatwick/Heathrow will be following up with job losses now as staff won’t be needed.

The whole idea that if Virgin/Norwegian go under BA will just step in has been shown up as the rubbish it always was.

There is a real chance places like Crawley will become a ghost town.

Time to open up the economy

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As well as people sadly passing away due to covid19, 100,000’s (possibly millions, eventually) of households in the UK may find themselves in a terrible financial position in the medium to long term. The threat to BA staff is just one such story.

Blows to family finances and prospects, will undoubtedly have an effect on mental health. This is a time bomb.

As soon as acceptable to public health/scientific advisors, the UK really needs to get far more businesses, tourism, travel and trade, up and running.

Do we have the numbers of job loses so far anywhere

12k just from BA (not all Uk)

Virgin will follow (doubt they will survive)

There are no jobs there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m doubtful it will recover

Gatwick/Heathrow will be following up with job losses now as staff won’t be needed.

The whole idea that if Virgin/Norwegian go under BA will just step in has been shown up as the rubbish it always was.

There is a real chance places like Crawley will become a ghost town.

Time to open up the economy

Opening up the economy in the UK will not help the aviation/travel business at all. Until the world opens up its ****ed. It’s likely to be the very last industry to open up :down:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Opening up the economy in the UK will not help the aviation/travel business at all. Until the world opens up its ****ed. It’s likely to be the very last industry to open up :down:

I think we will see borders open up very quickly tbh.

Governments need airlines and they can’t keep giving out loans.

We need aviation for Brexit to work and trump needs aviation to get jobs back before election.

The pressure being put on governments now will be unreal.

Disney have lost half a billion already

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think we will see borders open up very quickly tbh.

Governments need airlines and they can’t keep giving out loans.

We need aviation for Brexit to work and trump needs aviation to get jobs back before election.

The pressure being put on governments now will be unreal.

Disney have lost half a billion already

Horse has bolted - already seeing huge companies realising how unessential a lot of travel. I'm aware of some big companies already changing travel policy and budgets off the back of this so I think the demand will not be there - and probably never get back there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The only thing they could do is convert to air freight maybe ? Still would cost 000's of jobs in the industry though ? The problem is that air travel has become a luxury item for many almost overnight, expect lots of staycations and short haul stuff to Europe and not much else.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Horse has bolted - already seeing huge companies realising how unessential a lot of travel. I'm aware of some big companies already changing travel policy and budgets off the back of this so I think the demand will not be there - and probably never get back there.

Will be cut backs yes, but people will always want to go to Orlando.

Plus capacity will be down after this

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I agree with you.

Obviously the flight tourism industry will shrink for the short to medium term. But if anything, this crisis would’ve focused the thinking of many that life’s too short stuck in the rat race, living to work. As well as the predicted new 25% who’ll give up long commutes, there’ll be pent up demand by those lucky enough to have kept their jobs to fulfil holiday and travel dreams.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As an aside, just seen on the BBC news website that an Airbus 340 has landed today from China with boxes of PPE strapped in to every seat, It's been repainted with " Thank You NHS " down the sides in large lettering.

Call me old fashioned but, why the hell did they not have the plane in the air getting the PPE instead of it being sat there and repainted for its journey ? Time costs lives at the moment, I have no problem with council gardeners mowing " I Love The NHS "or farmers ploughing "Thank You NHS " in to their fields but this I find an unnecessary luxury at a time of crisis.

Jimmy Grimble

I imagine there will be a lot of happy climate change activists around for quite some time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I always thought it was a business travel that made up a huge amount of load revenue. Frame agreements with big employers etc. I guess it depends if leisure travellers don't mind prices increasing ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree with you.

Obviously the flight tourism industry will shrink for the short to medium term. But if anything, this crisis would’ve focused the thinking of many that life’s too short stuck in the rat race, living to work. As well as the predicted new 25% who’ll give up long commutes, there’ll be pent up demand by those lucky enough to have kept their jobs to fulfil holiday and travel dreams.

I agree, plus I think we will see cuts to aviation tax to help.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I always thought it was a business travel that made up a huge amount of load revenue. Frame agreements with big employers etc. I guess it depends if leisure travellers don't mind prices increasing ?

Depends on the company I guess

Virgins "fortress" routes are Orlando/Barbados/Antigua/Vegas - only Vegas is a business route really.

I think we will see countries paying a lot to have airlines return as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, plus I think we will see cuts to aviation tax to help.

I really can’t see a half empty Gatwick in say 18 months time, things will recover.

If we’re lucky enough to stay healthy, if anything I’d like to travel a bit more once this crisis has eased. Friends and family are similarly minded.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From a BA friend

BA are going to use it as a way to save money. Theyll offer to do that in place of pilots on older contracts taking even more hits. This is a political move more than anything. They want rid of the expensive pilots" 'm sure. But they'll definitely so this so they can finally get what they've wanted. We took permanent pay cuts in 2009 and they went in strike we we never got it returned. Now theyll use this to get even more. Balpa are useless and wont make sure any cute are dependent on getting them back when the tide turns in 4 years time or whatever either. It's all such a mess. It's just all too much right now.

They also got a 1.3 billion fine.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As an aside, just seen on the BBC news website that an Airbus 340 has landed today from China with boxes of PPE strapped in to every seat, It's been repainted with " Thank You NHS " down the sides in large lettering.

Call me old fashioned but, why the hell did they not have the plane in the air getting the PPE instead of it being sat there and repainted for its journey ? Time costs lives at the moment, I have no problem with council gardeners mowing " I Love The NHS "or farmers ploughing "Thank You NHS " in to their fields but this I find an unnecessary luxury at a time of crisis.

Also that was the news clip shown yesterday and today on BBC South news, ergo, BBC mixing up when it arrived which was at Southampton. Unfortunately regional and national BBC news is very repetitive at present.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really can’t see a half empty Gatwick in say 18 months time, things will recover.

If we’re lucky enough to stay healthy, if anything I’d like to travel a bit more once this crisis has eased. Friends and family are similarly minded.

I feel the same. Myself and other people I know are keen to re-book trips which have been postponed but also have some lock-down savings to spend on further trips. The only caveat being our continued health and employment.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52450654

Argentina has banned all internal and international commercial flights until 1 September because of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

The authorities said airlines should not be allowed to sell tickets for flights that may not go ahead in the next four months. Aviation industry groups said thousands of people could lose their jobs. Argentina closed its borders to non-residents in March, imposing tough quarantine measures. The country currently has nearly 4,000 confirmed infections, with 192 deaths, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From a BA friend

BA are going to use it as a way to save money. Theyll offer to do that in place of pilots on older contracts taking even more hits. This is a political move more than anything. They want rid of the expensive pilots" 'm sure. But they'll definitely so this so they can finally get what they've wanted. We took permanent pay cuts in 2009 and they went in strike we we never got it returned. Now theyll use this to get even more. Balpa are useless and wont make sure any cute are dependent on getting them back when the tide turns in 4 years time or whatever either. It's all such a mess. It's just all too much right now.

They also got a 1.3 billion fine.

They've been doing that for years - so no shock. But the job cuts are across every part of BA - Pilots + Crew will only be a smaller part of that. I'm not sure they've gone from record breaking profits to losing £500M in a quarter just to get rid of a few pilots on expensive contracts - but now they have the opportunity no doubt they will.

Most businesses are; my company has a huge wage imbalance for people doing the same job due to acquisitions over the years. Just made 9% of workforce redundant and no coincidence the big earners are first out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here