Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It will be a long, long time - Even when demand starts coming back, it will take months or years for airlines to be back up to speed, Lufthansa are suggesting demand levels to return in 2023, even that's optimistic I think. From a business travel perspective (biz travel essentially pays for airlines), every organisation on the planet is going to look at how they coped during this crisis without travelling and reflect that it's something they need to do less.
I’m pretty confident people will start going away again properly by next summer.

For every 1 person that doesn’t want to go there will be 2 that will

Even for so when hotels/flights pump out deals

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m pretty confident people will start going away again properly by next summer.

A massive fall in long term tourism will crucify so many resorts let alone airlines. How many places rely on tourism?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I don't doubt it but there will be fewer airlines, fewer planes and biz travel will be way down. Things are going to be very very different for a long time.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Virgin Atlantic want a loan, not a bailout.

Easyjet has already had a £600m loan from UK government. Also not a bailout.

Yeah with ZERO climate change conditions attached. I dunno, I was hoping that one good thing to come from this pandemic would be governments, companies and individuals re-setting what's possible and important in relation to the environment. It seems not, well not govt' and companies anyway.
If the latest theory that the virus piggy backs onto pollution particles in the air is backed up by scientific research then it seems we're not only choking the planet we're providing Covid with an easy way into peoples lungs. Awesome. Well done everyone in charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/24/coronavirus-detected-particles-air-pollution

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
While acknowledging it must be very stressful for their employees (obviously not for their tosser of a 'boss'), from a personal perspective I'm quickly looking to offload the small mountain of Virgin miles I've got, would be a touch disappointing to just lose them :-(

Same - think I'm sat on about 75k

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
While acknowledging it must be very stressful for their employees (obviously not for their tosser of a 'boss'), from a personal perspective I'm quickly looking to offload the small mountain of Virgin miles I've got, would be a touch disappointing to just lose them :-(

Didn't really think about that. I think we've got 500-600k currently.

As I'm lazy - what's catching your eye?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
AF5815CC-5551-44B0-B56E-FB831661F66B.png

Norwegian looks like they are going back to being a small start up for a year

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oops

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Didn't really think about that. I think we've got 500-600k currently.

As I'm lazy - what's catching your eye?

Not a lot - Eurostar is a decent option but the vouchers only last 12 months so, I've used these a few times.... Switching them for hotel points also easy but you lose a lot of 'value'. I've long time regretted choosing to use Virgin, I've used some reward flights but it's their limited destinations make it a bit of a pain but given that I've never paid for a Virgin flight, it's not a great loss. I'm left sitting on 900,000, guess I could just buy an awful lot of wine....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BA laying off 12,000

As well as people sadly passing away due to covid19, 100,000’s (possibly millions, eventually) of households in the UK may find themselves in a terrible financial position in the medium to long term. The threat to BA staff is just one such story.

Blows to family finances and prospects, will undoubtedly have an effect on mental health. This is a time bomb.

As soon as acceptable to public health/scientific advisors, the UK really needs to get far more businesses, tourism, travel and trade, up and running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here