Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nor am I, and I shouldn't have included that line in my post, as it has clearly distracted from the point that suppression of virus transmission is a battle waged on multiple fronts.

To suggest that one aspect of that battle should be the priority, suggesting multiple strands can not be worked on in parallel, is up there with the thickos who moan about Albion recruiting for the development squad during a transfer window with "Why have we done this? The recruitment team should be focused on bringing in a first team striker".

I agree completely that a lot of these things should have been done in parallel, something this Government has been particularly poor at.

I think it was identified very early (certainly by S Korea, Germany and the WHO) that efficient testing (<48 hrs) and, subsequently tracking, were a pre-requisite to making many of these parallel actions efficient including Hospital admissions, Care Homes, Health visitors, High risk Categories, Essential Workers, Fatality rates and spread of the disease, as well as any lessening of lockdown rules later on. I'm sorry but hundreds of thousands of test kits being put in the post in order to meet some meaningless 'target' is not helping to focus on setting up an efficient testing system.

To say I am a little disappointed to be this far into the pandemic without an efficient testing system in place (let alone tracking) would be an understatement. But let's hope we finally address this and quickly :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
TUI and other airline/carriers have rocketed since markets reopened yesterday morning, I don’t normally invest in markets but when I saw TUI share prices at 249 the other day compared to 900 before Coronavirus i very nearly bought my first shares :lolol: Then thought better if it as I have no clue how stocks work, share price up from 298 to 565 since yesterday morning.

I think I’ve decided once it is declared safe I’m going to book all aspects of our holiday individually as holiday packages are ridiculously high at the moment plus going direct to the hotel and local transfers could help support them more rather than putting more money in TUI’s pocket, who despite the fact I was one of the lucky ones who did get a refund from, Ive been left less than impressed by how they’ve communicated throughout this entire thing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Self quarantine does not work as proven here. The idea was that people entering Oz would name an address and stay there for two weeks, with the threat of a $1600 fine if they were caught out. So many were caught that the rules were changed to enforced quarantine in commandeered hotels.

But to be honest the virus is out there in the UK in general circulation, it is too little too late now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
TUI and other airline/carriers have rocketed since markets reopened yesterday morning, I don’t normally invest in markets but when I saw TUI share prices at 249 the other day compared to 900 before Coronavirus i very nearly bought my first shares :lolol: Then thought better if it as I have no clue how stocks work, share price up from 298 to 565 since yesterday morning.

I think I’ve decided once it is declared safe I’m going to book all aspects of our holiday individually as holiday packages are ridiculously high at the moment plus going direct to the hotel and local transfers could help support them more rather than putting more money in TUI’s pocket, who despite the fact I was one of the lucky ones who did get a refund from, Ive been left less than impressed by how they’ve communicated throughout this entire thing.

I brought £200 worth of delta shares when they hit $20 a share from $60.

waiting game

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I have flights booked for 27th July Gatwick to Palma. Per their website seats for the flight are still being sold but as I understand it there are no BA planes operating from Gatwick

Has it been announced if/when BA will be flying from Gatwick again?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have flights booked for 27th July Gatwick to Palma. Per their website seats for the flight are still being sold but as I understand it there are no BA planes operating from Gatwick

Has it been announced if/when BA will be flying from Gatwick again?

Nope...... BA will be taking all the revenue they can while there is a chance. They've canned some international routes permanently & pulled out of Leeds Bradford permanently. However just because they are still selling seats on a route, does not mean they are confident it will operate

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Jesus this government is clueless.

So they won’t help support the aviation till they have exhausted all avenues - but then have a go at airlines for cutting costs/jobs

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Jesus this government is clueless.

So they won’t help support the aviation till they have exhausted all avenues - but then have a go at airlines for cutting costs/jobs

By the sounds of it they’ll be introducing air bridges late in the month - murmurs from Portugal that it’s been agreed. Most companies have suspended flights/holidays until the start of July anyway.

Do I remember you saying you work for Virgin don’t you? Hope your job is safe fella.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
By the sounds of it they’ll be introducing air bridges late in the month - murmurs from Portugal that it’s been agreed. Most companies have suspended flights/holidays until the start of July anyway.

Do I remember you saying you work for Virgin don’t you? Hope your job is safe fella.

Think the company is screwed tbh

I’m ok at the moment - how long for who knows.

It’s just more mixed messages from a government who are making stuff as they go.

Don’t agree with what BA are doing, but if they have been told to cut costs before funding what are they meant to do.

EasyJet have cut 30 percent of flights and 30 percent of staff

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As a side

The government are dumb if they don’t think local airports are not going to be decimated.

Emirates are making 30k job cuts and are looking to pull out of every airport except LHR/MAN

They have offered zero support

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[tweet]1268512827456684032[/tweet]

That's a big claim ("you can be sure you can fly safe and well").

What it should actually say is "you can be sure you can fly if you are safe and well (although we cannot guarantee you won't catch Covid-19 from one of our staff who got infected after they were last tested)"

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What it should actually say is "you can be sure you can fly if you are safe and well (although we cannot guarantee you won't catch Covid-19 from one of our staff who got infected after they were last tested)"

(c) Saatchi and Saatchi and Tackle.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
That's a big claim ("you can be sure you can fly safe and well").

That's interesting. My wife's parents, sister, brother-in-law and niece are due to Orlando (Disney et al) in August. We toyed with the idea of going ourselves, but elected to take the kids on our own next year.

That's looking like a good move as it stands. Understandably, they really don't want to go under current circumstances, and have assumed they'll just be entitled to either get their money back or re-book for next year. I'm not sure where they'd stand now, particularly if the idea of the UK's 14 day quarantine is dropped by then. Personally, I think they're going to have to suck it up and go as it is or face losing their money.

Not a nice choice to have to make.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's interesting. My wife's parents, sister, brother-in-law and niece are due to Orlando (Disney et al) in August. We toyed with the idea of going ourselves, but elected to take the kids on our own next year.

That's looking like a good move as it stands. Understandably, they really don't want to go under current circumstances, and have assumed they'll just be entitled to either get their money back or re-book for next year. I'm not sure where they'd stand now, particularly if the idea of the UK's 14 day quarantine is dropped by then. Personally, I think they're going to have to suck it up and go as it is or face losing their money.

Not a nice choice to have to make.

No indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here