Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
IAG (BA parent) also just had a rights issue, tapping the existing shareholders for more cash.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But that can surely only be a short term fix?

They still have massive costs and a tiny fraction of their normal income. There has to be a breaking point because this situation isn’t being resolved any time soon.

I remember back in April or May accepting I wouldn’t be leaving the country in 2020 and it sounded drastic. Now I’ve pretty much accepted I won’t be going anywhere in 2022 either. There must be millions like me.

Norwegian are already on a second bail out

Virgin’s refinancing will work till Feb at latest unless trans Atlantic flying starts

BA are in worse trouble than are letting on - they are now saying they need state aid

Etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I took a fight from Berlin to Gatwick yesterday. A few observations: a few months back when borders started re-opening EasyJet announced a busy schedule for September with 4 flights a day. Over time this reduced to a single flight. Flight was half full when it took off. A guy was in a hurry to disembark, working his way down the aisle claiming he needed the toilet. He was severely reprimanded by a member of the cabin crew, firmly called a c@nt to his face by one passenger and told “stop, and keep away from me” by another female passenger.

Upon arrival at Gatwick the e-gates were in operation, no one was checked to ensure they had filled out the immigration form.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I took a fight from Berlin to Gatwick yesterday. A few observations: a few months back when borders started re-opening EasyJet announced a busy schedule for September with 4 flights a day. Over time this reduced to a single flight. Flight was half full when it took off. A guy was in a hurry to disembark, working his way down the aisle claiming he needed the toilet. He was severely reprimanded by a member of the cabin crew, firmly called a c@nt to his face by one passenger and told “stop, and keep away from me” by another female passenger.

Upon arrival at Gatwick the e-gates were in operation, no one was checked to ensure they had filled out the immigration form.

It wasn’t Alex Ferguson was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Heard a rumour today Gatwick is looking at shutting down till this is over

Apparently they are better off closing the doors and running a loss that way than paying staff etc

I’m 50/50 if I believe it -

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Apparently they are better off closing the doors and running a loss that way than paying staff etc

sounds like sort of thing floated in "everything on the table" business contingency planning. the obvious counter-arguments would be losing experienced staff, time to rehire and get back running, contractual obligations, reputation costs. probably not likely to happen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
sounds like sort of thing floated in "everything on the table" business contingency planning. the obvious counter-arguments would be losing experienced staff, time to rehire and get back running, contractual obligations, reputation costs. probably not likely to happen.

Think the plan is to furlough the remaining staff on 50 percent and allow them to get another job elsewhere.

I know they have been allowing restaurants to hand back space without penalty - Jamies in the North is one of them and they have laid off all the staff.

Talks have already happened about diverting al traffic to LHR as they have plenty of space

They are working on April opening for the second terminal - so I guess they can work on setting up in March.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove

I thought Germany was on the exempt list so no form to fill in?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought Germany was on the exempt list so no form to fill in?

It is, but everyone is supposed to fill one in case you were in a high-risk country prior to Germany. I guess it’s to prevent people doing what Boris’ father did i.e.dodge direct flight bans by routing via a low-risk county. Well, obviously it’s for Cummings big data needs but hopefully you get my drift.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
innovative way to keep some trade going.

For sure, on one level. But on the level most of us experience, imagine voluntarily submitting yourself to the general crapness of the whole flying thing, for SEVEN in-flight hours plus all the BS at either end, only to end up where you left from. Fair play to the SPECIAL kind of person that that kind of experience appeals to. Personally, sounds like just about the worst thing in the world (of aviation)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I took a fight from Berlin to Gatwick yesterday. A guy was in a hurry to disembark, working his way down the aisle claiming he needed the toilet. He was severely reprimanded by a member of the cabin crew, firmly called a c@nt to his face by one passenger and told “stop, and keep away from me” by another female passenger.

A near identical incident happened on our EasyJet flight into Gatwick from Verona last month. On the PA the crew clearly said rows 1 to 5 to disembark first, everyone else to wait. A c.50 year old bloke a few rows further back grabbed his cabin suitcase and charged past almost everyone to try to get off first. We were in row 1, so being an awkward sod, I stepped into the aisle to successfully block the tw*t. The cabin crew told him to go back to his seat, but he disregarded that.

We looked out for the :wanker: at the carousel, but he must’ve just had hand luggage.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

It is nonsense.

Airlines have contracts. They could well get a lot of compensation if Gatwick were to voluntarily close.

Plus UK government would intevene.

If owners of Gatwick cannot make it work, then time for Government to nationalise it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Norwegian today announced that they’re ending their short haul routes from Gatwick, making redundant 259 cabin crew within its 1,142 Gatwick staff. To concentrate on long haul.

The routes affected it seems are Gatwick with Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Norwegian today announced that they’re ending their short haul routes from Gatwick, making redundant 259 cabin crew within its 1,142 Gatwick staff. To concentrate on long haul.

The routes affected it seems are Gatwick with Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Gatwick is on the brink

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Australia have announced they are shutting boarder till end of 21 [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] - is this right?

My Aussie mates are going stir crazy. One that lives in NSW has had to relocate to QLD and shack up in an apartment for business/border reasons. Another, who normally spends more time in the air circumnavigating the globe for fun and surfing than she spends on the ground, finds herself denied permission to leave what she now terms Prison Island :lol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My Aussie mates are going stir crazy. One that lives in NSW has had to relocate to QLD and shack up in an apartment for business/border reasons. Another, who normally spends more time in the air circumnavigating the globe for fun and surfing than she spends on the ground, finds herself denied permission to leave what she now terms Prison Island :lol:

Once a prison colony....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here