Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Cruise ships are a lot more polluting than planes, below is just the carbon footprint, you can add sewage and dumping litter in the ocean as well.

Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017, a new analysis by sustainable transport group Transport & Environment reveals.[1] Royal Caribbean Cruises, the world’s second largest, is second, yet four times worse than the European car fleet. SOX emissions form sulphate (SO4) aerosols that increase human health risks and contribute to acidification in terrestrial and aquatic environments.[2]

Cruise ships and Ocean liners are very different.

Plus we could look for alternate power sources for Ocean Liners.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BA cut 10k jobs today.

Seems Unite have been useless in the whole process playing it out in the public rather than sitting down with BA.

Lots of anger towards BA and Unite

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seem to be a fair few planes flying around Europe now. Interesting how many incidents there have been with cabin crew catching covid, if there are cases doesn't seem to make it into the press.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seem to be a fair few planes flying around Europe now. Interesting how many incidents there have been with cabin crew catching covid, if there are cases doesn't seem to make it into the press.

I follow a few crew forums/pages and there hasn’t been one case reported on one of those.

I get that’s not 100 percent fact - but it’s an insight

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two crucial bits of travel advice (depending on your destination), to avoid a holiday calamity:

1. Wear surgical masks for your flights. Easyjet (for our flight to Italy) at boarding, are turning away everyone with a cloth mask! Some angry punters.

2. Before you travel, even for ‘green light’ destinations, go to gov.uk to check out the specific entry forms you’ll need for particular nations. For Italy for example, every passenger must have with them a completed 4 page form. To be handed in on arrival.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two crucial bits of travel advice (depending on your destination), to avoid a holiday calamity:

1. Wear surgical masks for your flights. Easyjet (for our flight to Italy) at boarding, are turning away everyone with a cloth mask! Some angry punters.

2. Before you travel, even for ‘green light’ destinations, go to gov.uk to check out the specific entry forms you’ll need for particular nations. For Italy for example, every passenger must have with them a completed 4 page form. To be handed in on arrival.

By surgical, I presume you mean the blue/white paper tissue type masks?

Purely out of curiosity....what’s the problem with cloth based masks?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes.

We were okay. I don’t know why, but my guess would be not up to surgical/virological standards. Anyone can make a cloth face mask.

Good to know as I have an EasyJet flight in a few weeks. Thanks. I presume this is an EasyJet directive as opposed to an Italian one?

Hope your trip works out well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good to know as I have an EasyJet flight in a few weeks. Thanks. I presume this is an EasyJet directive as opposed to an Italian one?

Hope your trip works out well.

I overheard conflicting advice from the ground crew. One said it was EasyJet policy, another that it was a destination requirement.

For the first time, we’re in Sud Tirol (the German speaking region of Italy). It’s paradise. If I knew how to reduce the mb size of a pic, I’d put a couple on this thread. Tripadvisor comes up trumps again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I overheard conflicting advice from the ground crew. One said it was EasyJet policy, another that it was a destination requirement.

For the first time, we’re in Sud Tirol (the German speaking region of Italy). It’s paradise. If I knew how to reduce the mb size of a pic, I’d put a couple on this thread. Tripadvisor comes up trumps again.

:thumbsup: I know you like the mountains.Enjoy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes.

We were okay. I don’t know why, but my guess would be not up to surgical/virological standards. Anyone can make a cloth face mask.

do they check they are actual standards comforming, or just look about right so pass them? plenty of disposable ones look like medical grade ones.

difference is non-standard/bit of cloth is only about 50% effective, which is next to nothing for a prolonged exposure in close proxmity.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
do they check they are actual standards comforming, or just look about right so pass them? plenty of disposable ones look like medical grade ones.

difference is non-standard/bit of cloth is only about 50% effective, which is next to nothing for a prolonged exposure in close proxmity.

Very unscientific it appeared .... if it looked surgical, you’re on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Received notification today that my (one-stop) October Ibiza flight is now on it’s 3rd schedule change. Think they’ll be a bit more of this between now and flight day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
600 jobs at Gatwick Airport to go. About 1 in 4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here