Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Virgin Atlantic sale is good at the moment. Can book Direct Upper Class to Cape town (historically very expensive) for £1200 pretty much any time January - May 2021

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will Biden let us in by then?

We're very keen to get to NYC and elsewhere.

No idea but the cancellation terms are decent enough.

We’re not actually banned from entering the US - any British citizen could head there today.

You will, however, have to spend two weeks en route in one of their “safe” countries before your onward flight to the US.

I appreciate this makes a US holiday completely impractical for most, but it seems to be a quite widely held misconception that Brits can’t enter the US currently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No idea but the cancellation terms are decent enough.

We’re not actually banned from entering the US - any British citizen could head there today.

You will, however, have to spend two weeks en route in one of their “safe” countries before your onward flight to the US.

I appreciate this makes a US holiday completely impractical for most, but it seems to be a quite widely held misconception that Brits can’t enter the US currently.

By next summer, with vaccines and testing well established, are you expecting the UK to be a safe country as far as the US is concerned?

Genuinely interested. This thread is motivating me to start looking at returning to the States soon.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
By next summer, with vaccines and testing well established, are you expecting the UK to be a safe country as far as the US is concerned?

Genuinely interested. This thread is motivating me to start looking at returning to the States soon.

Gut feel is yes. I'd put it at something like 70/30.

The US put their "bad list" in place way back when and, as far as I am aware, they've not changed it since, making no allowance for changing conditions in countries in the way we have done, as we've moved countries from "good" to "bad" and vice versa.

I think if you either...

a) Book flights with companies with decent refund options, and accommodation with places where you either only pay a small deposit or pay at check-in, or
b) Book a package where you only pay a deposit now and the balance 4-6 weeks before travel

...you should be in a pretty good position should travel not be possible, with only minor losses if any at all.

Always use a credit card too!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gut feel is yes. I'd put it at something like 70/30.

The US put their "bad list" in place way back when and, as far as I am aware, they've not changed it since, making no allowance for changing conditions in countries in the way we have done, as we've moved countries from "good" to "bad" and vice versa.

I think if you either...

a) Book flights with companies with decent refund options, and accommodation with places where you either only pay a small deposit or pay at check-in, or
b) Book a package where you only pay a deposit now and the balance 4-6 weeks before travel

...you should be in a pretty good position should travel not be possible, with only minor losses if any at all.

Always use a credit card too!

Thanks.

We got lucky in July this year for our aborted US trip - our hotel reservation was through booking.com with no payment due at all if I cancelled by us up to just a few days before arrival, and Norwegian repaid flights cancelled by them promptly with no chasing necessary.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks.

We got lucky in July this year for our aborted US trip - our hotel reservation was through booking.com with no payment due at all if I cancelled by us up to just a few days before arrival, and Norwegian repaid flights cancelled by them promptly with no chasing necessary.

Might need to adjust that 70/30 to a more favourable chance...

The White House is strongly considering lifting sweeping restrictions on travel from the European Union and the United Kingdom, an administration official confirmed.

Discussions have been ongoing for several weeks about lifting the restrictions, which ban entry to most foreigners who have been to Europe in the two weeks before their arrival in the US. Reuters first reported on the discussions.

An administration official told CNN that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expressed some reservations about lifting the restrictions, but the agency is not expected to block the move.

The discussions come at a time when the US is experiencing its worst surge of coronavirus, and as many European countries also face higher levels of coronavirus cases.

President Trump has yet to sign off on the move, but once he does, the restrictions are unlikely to be lifted until the US and European countries have established a protocol for safe travel between the two countries.

The White House did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention directed CNN to the White House and the Health and Human Services Department when asked for comment.

Trump first banned most travel from the European Union and UK in March as the pandemic escalated. The EU soon followed suit, restricting most travel from the US and other countries.​

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-...25-20-intl/h_883a000557472ee335ef077fe26cce70

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Might need to adjust that 70/30 to a more favourable chance...

The White House is strongly considering lifting sweeping restrictions on travel from the European Union and the United Kingdom, an administration official confirmed.

Discussions have been ongoing for several weeks about lifting the restrictions, which ban entry to most foreigners who have been to Europe in the two weeks before their arrival in the US. Reuters first reported on the discussions.

An administration official told CNN that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expressed some reservations about lifting the restrictions, but the agency is not expected to block the move.

The discussions come at a time when the US is experiencing its worst surge of coronavirus, and as many European countries also face higher levels of coronavirus cases.

President Trump has yet to sign off on the move, but once he does, the restrictions are unlikely to be lifted until the US and European countries have established a protocol for safe travel between the two countries.

The White House did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention directed CNN to the White House and the Health and Human Services Department when asked for comment.

Trump first banned most travel from the European Union and UK in March as the pandemic escalated. The EU soon followed suit, restricting most travel from the US and other countries.​

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-...25-20-intl/h_883a000557472ee335ef077fe26cce70

Not unexpected

Among other things,They were waiting till after the election in case of riots.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Virgin Atlantic sale is good at the moment. Can book Direct Upper Class to Cape town (historically very expensive) for £1200 pretty much any time January - May 2021

This morning I went to book using Virgin Atlantic's Black Friday webpage (after a couple of days procrastinating), but their £450 flights to JFK had disappeared with the message "The sale has now ended". Identical flights are now £1,900 :(

But then some luck, Skyscanner still have them with Premium at Economy prices. All sorted :smile:

Thank you [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] & [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] ... this sale would otherwise have passed me by.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This morning I went to book using Virgin Atlantic's Black Friday webpage (after a couple of days procrastinating), but their £450 flights to JFK had disappeared with the message "The sale has now ended". Identical flights are now £1,900 :(

But then some luck, Skyscanner still have them with Premium at Economy prices. All sorted :smile:

Thank you [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] & [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] ... this sale would otherwise have passed me by.

If Vegas is your thing

Just got £260 return for June in Ecc

More is coming tomorrow as well

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Vegas is your thing

Just got £260 return for June in Ecc

More is coming tomorrow as well

Definitely on our list for the future, we'll make it a road trip with The Hoover Dam and some national parks.

But you can multiple the cost of everything by $a lot for the 4 of us, so it won't be in 2021.

Skiing's huge for us too, so there's only so much we can afford.

Did you come across Upper Class bargains too eg with Virgin? Prices a small fraction of anything I've seen before.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Definitely on our list for the future, we'll make it a road trip with The Hoover Dam and some national parks.

But you can multiple the cost of everything by $a lot for the 4 of us, so it won't be in 2021.

Skiing's huge for us too, so there's only so much we can afford.

Did you come across Upper Class bargains too eg with Virgin? Prices a small fraction of anything I've seen before.

Sent you a DM

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Is there any word on being able to prove you've been vaccinated, before being allowed to fly? Are existing jab requirements checked, or are they just recommendations when travelling to certain countries?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is there any word on being able to prove you've been vaccinated, before being allowed to fly? Are existing jab requirements checked, or are they just recommendations when travelling to certain countries?

No news.

Purely based on the requirements of your destination country. It’s normally mandatory and checked before you depart by the airline.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No news.

Purely based on the requirements of your destination country. It’s normally mandatory and checked before you depart by the airline.

Which is my Qantas have shot themselves in the foot a little. Australia are more than likely to bring in an entry requirement.

Airlines will be better off to wait till the countries bring in the rules.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here