Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Norwegian ceasing all long-haul operations, meaning over 1,000 jobs lost at LGW.

86B8A767-CB86-4BF3-99D7-2DB6EE95970E.jpeg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bringing in the hotel system will be end of a few airlines here and certainly many travel companies

It’s complete over kill - we need restrictions in place and the airlines/airports have been pushing for these - but this is OTT

There won’t be a road map out and it won’t be for a few weeks.

We are literally the only big nation (Not in the middle of nowhere) to bring this in, it’s because they think it will be popular rather than following the science, even sage are saying it’s pointless.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bringing in the hotel system will be end of a few airlines here and certainly many travel companies

It’s complete over kill - we need restrictions in place and the airlines/airports have been pushing for these - but this is OTT

There won’t be a road map out and it won’t be for a few weeks.

We are literally the only big nation (Not in the middle of nowhere) to bring this in, it’s because they think it will be popular rather than following the science, even sage are saying it’s pointless.

To bring in the hotel quarantine at this stage would be silly and as you say destructive to the travel business, the horse as already bolted

Just up the required test to the gold standard PCR (the current anti-gen accepted isn't accurate enough). If they want to go a step further impose the quarantine at home on top and / or an additional test to reduce quarantine times

What next Australian style scheme are they going to come up with?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Well Granty boy just put a nail in a few companies by saying no travel till world is vaccinated.

What a peabrain. He might have been selectively quoted, but the Daily Telegraph tends to be pro-release so I doubt it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...arantine-uk-list-countries-vaccine-passports/

Instead of saying that there is no guarantee of even being allowed holidays in this country - which is stating the bleeding obvious, because apart from anything else we might be hit by an asteroid before then - why doesn't he say that assuming the coronavirus vaccine goes well there is no reason to doubt that UK holidays, at least, will go ahead as normal?

Or alternatively he could declare that government policy is that we will not release lockdown until he can guarantee immortality for everyone?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What a peabrain. He might have been selectively quoted, but the Daily Telegraph tends to be pro-release so I doubt it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...arantine-uk-list-countries-vaccine-passports/

Instead of saying that there is no guarantee of even being allowed holidays in this country - which is stating the bleeding obvious, because apart from anything else we might be hit by an asteroid before then - why doesn't he say that assuming the coronavirus vaccine goes well there is no reason to doubt that UK holidays, at least, will go ahead as normal?

Or alternatively he could declare that government policy is that we will not release lockdown until he can guarantee immortality for everyone?

Starting to see more middle ground/siding with lockdown starting to question this now.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well Granty boy just put a nail in a few companies by saying no travel till world is vaccinated.

I listed to Shapps on the Today programme this am and I don't think he said that....

I agree that he certainly said don't book a summer holiday yet, but he did backtrack (surely not) on Vaccination Passports, suggesting they were more than a possibility.

I really hope that if we have the majority of those at risk (over 50s) having had at least one jab by the end of May then Summer Holidays could be on - HOWEVER if you need ' two jabs' to get a 'vaccination passport' then I think summer is pretty much cancelled and the travel industry will fall off a cliff

I have an TUI Aircraft engineer and a BA pilot as two neighbours - both very fearful for their jobs at the moment.....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I listed to Shapps on the Today programme this am and I don't think he said that....

I agree that he certainly said don't book a summer holiday yet, but he did backtrack (surely not) on Vaccination Passports, suggesting they were more than a possibility.

I really hope that if we have the majority of those at risk (over 50s) having had at least one jab by the end of May then Summer Holidays could be on - HOWEVER if you need ' two jabs' to get a 'vaccination passport' then I think summer is pretty much cancelled and the travel industry will fall off a cliff

I have an TUI Aircraft engineer and a BA pilot as two neighbours - both very fearful for their jobs at the moment.....

Sounds like a slightly better message than on breakfast earlier.

I think there will be travel this summer (see holiday thread) but if as you say it’s 2 jabs that’s game over.

Part of me thinks it’s a ploy (it’s clearly PR) to get people to behave

The Gov will have to spend Billions to keep everything afloat.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We had a call with one of the directors today.

He says Gatwick surviving is currently 50/50 and that’s with a summer planned in

I assume the Gov would buy it/bail it out - but that’s gunna be a lot of money

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Many aviation companies only going to make it through the summer by punters saying bollox to it and going to the same amber countries they go to every summer

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Grenada have had 44 cases since this started and are on amber lol

Going by the data :facepalm:

The Caribbean island of Grenada not making the UK’s green list today is a "huge blow for holidaymakers and the travel and tourism sectors", its minister for tourism says.

Dr Clarice Modeste Curwen says there have been just 161 Covid cases since the start of the pandemic and no new cases since February.

She says the country has seen no imported cases after welcoming back overseas travellers and 65% of visitors were vaccinated before arrival.

She says no resources had been spared in putting in a "stringent, rigorous and successful programme to control any spread of the virus".

She says 90% of hotel workers have been vaccinated and regular genomic sequencing is carried out to check for variants.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Blimey I’m glad I don’t go abroad....keeping up to date with it all :facepalm:

Britons who are fully vaccinated against Coronavirus can enter France with proof of a negative antigen test starting next week and do not need a “compelling reason” to be in the country, according to new rules released by the government on Friday.

Fully vaccinated is defined as two weeks after the second dose of an EU-approved jab, which includes all jabs administered in the UK.

Until the changes, which take effect on June 9, anybody entering France from the UK is required to have a “compelling reason” to do so and must promise to self-isolate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sort of comes under this thread

Easyjet moving planes from UK to Germany as a result of European govts more flexible policies on travel: "We are seeing European governments progressively opening up using frameworks in place which enable travel and much of it restriction-free...

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1404789937334013955?s=21

U.K. aviation is ****ed

Following the science though, just a different science to other countries that seem to trust vaccination/testing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
as you say....:facepalm: just spend your money at home , if you have any.

UK households have saved £180b during the pandemic, from having little to spend on. BoE figures. There’s low unemployment due to furlough and WFH meant jobs carried on.

58F32FAE-5E0D-488C-ACD4-4E06DD9AF1E2.png

Many people are holding onto their cash, until they can holiday overseas again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here