Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Alien Invasion?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Or a cluster of low orbiting communications satellites belonging to SpaceX whizzing over the south coast like intergalactic battle cruisers!

Put the proper sh!ts up me & the missus until we googled it. :mad: Anyone else having a gander?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Or a cluster of low orbiting communications satellites belonging to SpaceX whizzing over the south coast like intergalactic battle cruisers!

Put the proper sh!ts up me & the missus until we googled it. :mad: Anyone else having a gander?

ah is that what it was. do you have a link? I was just explaining to my eldest that i'd seen a strange moving star!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That’s ALL we need right now! Sake.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Could always hope. "Hi we're here to sort out this shit for ya". That would be something of a game changer.

A sidenote but I've been reading a lot of 100-200 year old Swedish newspapers the last week. People were really convinced about life on Mars. Fascinating. Translated one newspaper from 1901, "Message from Mars":

"The latest revelation in the world of astronomy is according to Wilfred de Fonvelle a message from planet Mars, recieved on December 8 at the observatory in Flagstaff, Arziona. It was seen my br Douglas, a known astronomer who has made many important observatios.

The incident was reported to the astronomical central bureau in Kiel through a telegram signed by Perkering, director of the observatory at Harvard College. The bureau in Kiel sent the message to all the observatories in the world. The observatory in Paris mentioned the telegram in their "depesch room" (my remark: dont know what this is but I think its the "press room".).

A few days later it was published in the astronomy magazine "Nature" and in "Astronomishe Nachrichten". And consequently, writes a foreign newspaper, it is no longer necessay to be silent about the thing.

For many years the astronomers have been convinced that Mars is populated by creatures, with a very high civilization. Mars surfac is covered by dark spots, presumed to be very large lakes. One of these, close to the first meridian, got the same size as France and have been named the "Icarian Sea".

It was while Douglas was observing this sea he noticed a strange phenomenon. A row of bright lights showed itself over a straight line, many hundred kilometers long. These giant fires burned cotinously for one hour and ten minutes, and then disappeared as quickly as they arrived. From observations, says de Fonvelle, we know that the light never moves geometrically. The straight line of the lights thus indicates that the lights were a voluntary action.

If these light phenomenons really are signals should soon be known, since Mars is observed so meticulously that a repeat of these signals definitely would be seen. Mars is currently moving towards its "opposition" of Earth, which will occur on February 22, giving us another opportunity to study the interesting planet under conditions as good as on the 8th of December. In case the population of Mars really lit these fires, we should definitely let them now that we have understood their intentions, and that we count on them - with their superior intelligence - to create a special alphabet to be used for themselves and us."

Maybe they are finally here to deliver that alphabet!

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

well we've seen 5 now, and that sight isn't reporting any of them.beautiful !

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
According to the web site, 43 satellites will be crossing over Monday night at 10:01. Looks like crossing over Scotland. Is it worth going outside and looking North?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Saw these by chance at around 10 last night, caught 9 of them travelling in a straight line with a couple of others floating around out of formation. We were similarly shitted up until Google gave us the answer :lolol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Could always hope. "Hi we're here to sort out this shit for ya". That would be something of a game changer.

A sidenote but I've been reading a lot of 100-200 year old Swedish newspapers the last week. People were really convinced about life on Mars. Fascinating. Translated one newspaper from 1901, "Message from Mars":

"The latest revelation in the world of astronomy is according to Wilfred de Fonvelle a message from planet Mars, recieved on December 8 at the observatory in Flagstaff, Arziona. It was seen my br Douglas, a known astronomer who has made many important observatios.

The incident was reported to the astronomical central bureau in Kiel through a telegram signed by Perkering, director of the observatory at Harvard College. The bureau in Kiel sent the message to all the observatories in the world. The observatory in Paris mentioned the telegram in their "depesch room" (my remark: dont know what this is but I think its the "press room".).

A few days later it was published in the astronomy magazine "Nature" and in "Astronomishe Nachrichten". And consequently, writes a foreign newspaper, it is no longer necessay to be silent about the thing.

For many years the astronomers have been convinced that Mars is populated by creatures, with a very high civilization. Mars surfac is covered by dark spots, presumed to be very large lakes. One of these, close to the first meridian, got the same size as France and have been named the "Icarian Sea".

It was while Douglas was observing this sea he noticed a strange phenomenon. A row of bright lights showed itself over a straight line, many hundred kilometers long. These giant fires burned cotinously for one hour and ten minutes, and then disappeared as quickly as they arrived. From observations, says de Fonvelle, we know that the light never moves geometrically. The straight line of the lights thus indicates that the lights were a voluntary action.

If these light phenomenons really are signals should soon be known, since Mars is observed so meticulously that a repeat of these signals definitely would be seen. Mars is currently moving towards its "opposition" of Earth, which will occur on February 22, giving us another opportunity to study the interesting planet under conditions as good as on the 8th of December. In case the population of Mars really lit these fires, we should definitely let them now that we have understood their intentions, and that we count on them - with their superior intelligence - to create a special alphabet to be used for themselves and us."

Maybe they are finally here to deliver that alphabet!

The Lowell Observatory, where Pluto was discovered in 1930. Well worth a visit the next time you are in Arizona.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
According to the web site, 43 satellites will be crossing over Monday night at 10:01. Looks like crossing over Scotland. Is it worth going outside and looking North?

The image that first appears does indeed look as though they go over Scotland but if you rotate the image it looks as they first appear flying over Wales and then leave flying over Norfolk.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
The image that first appears does indeed look as though they go over Scotland but if you rotate the image it looks as they first appear flying over Wales and then leave flying over Norfolk.

Having looked at them last night the image for tonight is hardly different. I reckon if the sky stays clear it'll be excellent!!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thursday evening the new flight of Starlink satellites went over at 8:54pm. Very brief but an incredible sight. Anyone who has seen the one then one then one way they come over, well the Starlink 6 came over in a very short row of at least 60 satellites. It looked just like a long train going across the sky. Watching you have to be impressed that this has been man made.
Checking sites it looks like it may come over again tonight (Friday 24th) at 8:58 followed at 9:13 by Starlink 5 which is a long train of 40. Weather permitting.
https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here