Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Construction contractor recommendations.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
We have planning permission approval, all structural drawings and party wall permissions in place for a small rear wrap around/side return extension to our small Edwardian terrace house in Eastbourne. Now looking for estimates and to appoint a main contractor to undertake the whole project, hopefully in 2021. Can anyone on NSC make personal recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We have planning permission approval, all structural drawings and party wall permissions in place for a small rear wrap around/side return extension to our small Edwardian terrace house in Eastbourne. Now looking for estimates and to appoint a main contractor to undertake the whole project, hopefully in 2021. Can anyone on NSC make personal recommendations? Thanks in advance.

If your neighbour is a pretend German make sure he has signed the party wall agreement!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
My advice go for a decent well known and multi recommended company not some single ‘geezer ‘ builder who has a couple of mates helping him out . The very cheap ones usually do a poor job. Ask the main man what building , engineering qualifications he has, if he doesn’t have any advanced qualifications affiliated to building and construction , run a mile .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can't recommend anyone in your area, but as a general rule, get at least 3 to quote, and make sure they are all quoting for the same spec, and to the same point of completion. Consider appointing a Quantity Surveyor to oversee the builders, traditionally architects were used in this role, but a QS is more effective and lower cost, but it is a layer of expense you could avoid if you are confident in your builders, and your ability to manage them to a degree.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My advice go for a decent well known and multi recommended company not some single ‘geezer ‘ builder who has a couple of mates helping him out . The very cheap ones usually do a poor job. Ask the main man what building , engineering qualifications he has, if he doesn’t have any advanced qualifications affiliated to building and construction , run a mile .

Agree with asking for a recommendation, ask as many people as possible and if the same company keeps being mentioned, ask them for a quote.

The main man may have qualifications, but what about his employees or sub contractors?

As for asking about qualifications, good idea but I have got advanced plumbing qualifications and in 18 years of trading not one person has asked what qualifications I have got. Also never had to show any certificates when I went for interviews before I started my own business.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010

pm you

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Many thanks to all those who replied with recommendations and advice on the main board and those that took the time to pm me. It's very much appreciated and I shall certainly follow them up in due course. Cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here