Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus lockdown - the first major success for our technology society?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A thought which occurred, has this lockdown been the first proper time when humanity has relied on our technology to keep things going? From working from home to keeping in touch through various video call platforms to online shopping, it feels like this has been the first time we've really fallen back on this stuff to keep us going. I can't really imagine it being this effective had this happened 10 years ago, for example.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A thought which occurred, has this lockdown been the first proper time when humanity has relied on our technology to keep things going? From working from home to keeping in touch through various video call platforms to online shopping, it feels like this has been the first time we've really fallen back on this stuff to keep us going. I can't really imagine it being this effective had this happened 10 years ago, for example.

Nope, we have relied on technology to keep things going at least since the invention of tools to create fire.

Sure, "modern technology" is useful in this situation but its byproducts like global trade, global interdependency massive travelling and increased exploitation of nature significantly increase the risk of what would previously have been local epidemics now turning into global pandemics.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Personally I would rather go back to when I did not have 24 hour a day doom mongering news coverage, Facebook giving me Covid-19 updates, Government advice via my I-Pad, and Victoria Beckham on Global Citizen telling me how we are all in this together!

Tech does have plus’, it has an awful lot of negatives too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Throughout history we have relied on our technology. Whether that be radar, radio and computers in WW2 or online shopping in 2020.
Technology didn’t begin in the last decade.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Personally I would rather go back to when I did not have 24 hour a day doom mongering news coverage, Facebook giving me Covid-19 updates, Government advice via my I-Pad, and Victoria Beckham on Global Citizen telling me how we are all in this together!

Tech does have plus’, it has an awful lot of negatives too.

You know you don’t have to engage with it ?
I grew very sick, very quickly, of repetitive news coverage, media whores virtue signalling, middle class parents trying to impress the nation because they teach their children maths with a ukele and unfortunately, people on this board disguising the ins and outs of a cat’s ********.
So apart from popping in here rarely, running my online pub nights and listening to the news once a day. I’ve binned off all news media and nearly every scrap of social media. And I don’t see myself going back.
It’s really very easy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I grew very sick, very quickly, of repetitive news coverage, media whores virtue signalling, middle class parents trying to impress the nation because they teach their children maths with a ukele and unfortunately, people on this board disguising the ins and outs of a cat’s ********.
So apart from popping in here rarely, running my online pub nights and listening to the news once a day. I’ve binned off all news media and nearly every scrap of social media. And I don’t see myself going back.
It’s really very easy.

Its really not "very easy" to a lot of people, but happy for you since its the healthy route.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Its really not "very easy" to a lot of people, but happy for you since its the healthy route.

I imagine it’s been a lifeline for a lot of people. Also it’s a green light for any social media slag to absolutely let rip. All the things they may have erred about posting pre-apocalypse? The floodgates are open, whack it up, “they’ll forgive me, I’ll say it’s good for my mental health”.

The shit I was seeing on Facebook beggars belief. I haven’t really been on it for years but I be genuinely had a look at it a few times a day to cringe at the stuff on there. From young Mum’s and their emasculated husbands, mainly.

However , podcasts, virtual pub and online films have been my relaxation, so I suppose maybe tech has become my master during lockdown. And to be fair, books.

But I’m still working so don’t really have any extra time for much.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure 10 years but certainly 20 years ago we couldnt have responded in the same way. ubiquitous internet access, laptops, online tools have meant a substantial portion of business can work from home with limited reduction of productivity.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It’s really very easy.

I applaud you in the main. Well done Sir.

Online pub nights are intregueing...........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I applaud you in the main. Well done Sir.

Online pub nights are intregueing...........

Great fun.
I can’t get my head around why anyone would look at social media if they don’t like it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here