Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I saw a lady up on the Ashdown forest walking along with no one near her wearing plastic gloves and a mask...which I thought was a bit OTT if I am honest.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes, yes I am. The WHO couldn't make up their minds if they were good or bad. If they do work then the UK government imposed them far too late. Equally, if they're so important why not mandate them everywhere ? Also, if having a mask is so important then opening places such as pubs and restaurants somewhat goes against that necessity. It's a gimmick to try and make people think the government are looking after their wellbeing - they are not. They are more concerned about economics than peoples health.

Not that it affects me as I'm exempt from wearing one anyway.

I think for a while the government didn't want people to use them because of the acute PPE shortage, but that's improved now

If a mask stops you from touching your mouth and nose when out and about surely a good move. If you sneeze it offers some protection to others.

Surely, in enclosed public spaces its common sense. Using one outdoors seems a bit OTT especially if reasonable SD is observed

As for pubs and restaurants, I don't wanna sound a kill joy, but these nice things but hardly essential. Better to give these businesses more financial more support until we have the situation under control. We can all eat and drink at home in the meantime

If we don't really get on top of this during the summer, its going to be a winter like no other

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
As another resident of Japan has mentioned, masks are as normal here as using an umbrella when it rains. I've been wearing them for years as I get shocking hay fever, as do millions of Japanese, in the spring. I remember the first time I walked out the house in one self-consciously. Pretty soon realised not a single person gave a single shit that I had one on.
Still, I wore one hoping it would give me a slight advantage through protection from pollen. Even as a mask wearer I thought they would be next to useless up against covid19 because I was still thinking of them as a way of keeping nasties out. Have come round to realising their effectiveness is surely in what they stop all of us spraying out.
Not sure you can put Japan's low death rate solely down to mask wearing but I'm fairly certain they have helped. There's been a lot of focus here on clusters that have started in enclosed social areas, think bars, venues and the like. The government have been warning about the '3 Cs'. Not unlike the social distancing we're all aware of but slightly more specific. When I first saw it, I was a bit skeptical and felt it was over doing it a bit, not uncommon here.
[tweet]1244231002257383424[/tweet]
But now I think advice like avoiding close range conversations, mask wearing, and a kind of natural social distancing Japanese people tend to observe anyway (the trains may be packed, they are mostly silent) has helped matters.

Anyway, wear a face covering. You don't have to be a scientist to realise they will act as a barrier to your spittle. :thumbsup;

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would say 95% of the public are using them incorrectly, thereby significantly increasing the risk of spreading the infection. If you don’t know how to use it properly, you’re better off not using one at all.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would say 95% of the public are using them incorrectly, thereby significantly increasing the risk of spreading the infection. If you don’t know how to use it properly, you’re better off not using one at all.

That was what the WHO have been saying all along, until they were pressurised into changing tack.

I have sat in my car at Maidstone Hospital today and watched people come out. To a man they all took their masks off my grabbing them from the front and then casually dropped them in litter bins.

I know the general thought is that the masks protect others from you, but there has also got to be a risk of vice versa and just chucking in rubbish bin isn't correct means of disposal either

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That was what the WHO have been saying all along, until they were pressurised into changing tack.

I have sat in my car at Maidstone Hospital today and watched people come out. To a man they all took their masks off my grabbing them from the front and then casually dropped them in litter bins.

I know the general thought is that the masks protect others from you, but there has also got to be a risk of vice versa and just chucking in rubbish bin isn't correct means of disposal either

Exactly. People are adjusting them incorrectly, pawing at their faces, wearing them for too long/wearing again and again, putting them down on surfaces... endless ways of passing on infection.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wear them in shops (we told you so), but don't tell everyone whatever you do...

Capture.JPG

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Genuine question, what is the correct means I’d disposal? I’ll put that out to everyone btw.

Here’s what the WHO say to do with them

4cd7806a236a368bb01b9c0149bffa84.jpg

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Genuine question, what is the correct means I’d disposal? I’ll put that out to everyone btw.

Here’s what the WHO say to do with them

4cd7806a236a368bb01b9c0149bffa84.jpg

Interesting last point ref composition. Does this mean I can wear a leather mask? (with the zip done up of course).

The recommendations I saw for making face masks were based on cutting up old shirts or T-shirts. Mine are all cotton......need to look into that point further.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Are we finally waking up to face masks? No need to hurry....

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I expect we'll have to have another "culture war" about this like they're having in the US, rather than just making it a legal requirement and banning anyone not adhering from places where it's required.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Masks are freely available at railway stations and main hub underground stations are handing them out, I would say about 90% of commuters are wearing them, there will always some who will not wear them but on the whole most people traveling on public transport are doing their bit to help control the virus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
From Day 1 of the State of Emergency being declared here on March 12th, heavy fines for not wearing a facemask anywhere but at home. Its now relaxed to just the metro in Prague. There has been a rise in Karvina due to an outbreak at some coal mine, so still in force there.
350 odd fatalities here in CZ. Last time I checked UK numbers it was over 43,000. I really dont understand why it wasnt enforced. Its criminal, there was plenty of warning.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From Day 1 of the State of Emergency being declared here on March 12th, heavy fines for not wearing a facemask anywhere but at home. Its now relaxed to just the metro in Prague. There has been a rise in Karvina due to an outbreak at some coal mine, so still in force there.
350 odd fatalities here in CZ. Last time I checked UK numbers it was over 43,000. I really dont understand why it wasnt enforced. Its criminal, there was plenty of warning.

For the long time I thought the reluctance with masks was down to feared PPE shortage and the potential consequences of depriving the NHS

But now I'm just starting to think there was an element of exceptionalism, we know best.

Bizarrely, I think if more people wore masks in shops it might improve public confidence in entering them and improve footfall

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For the long time I thought the reluctance with masks was down to feared PPE shortage and the potential consequences of depriving the NHS

But now I'm just starting to think there was an element of exceptionalism, we know best.

Bizarrely, I think if more people wore masks in shops it might improve public confidence in entering them and improve footfall

sure the original advise had an eye on supply. however the general advise though follows WTO guidance. some seem to want to follow other advice because that "makes sense" and find some other experts to agree its the right thing to do. it seems sensible to wear them and not make a fuss, though making compulsory to make people content (while other not) seems unsatisfactory solution.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
sure the original advise had an eye on supply. however the general advise though follows WTO guidance. some seem to want to follow other advice because that "makes sense" and find some other experts to agree its the right thing to do. it seems sensible to wear them and not make a fuss, though making compulsory to make people content (while other not) seems unsatisfactory solution.

Sorry don't mean to be pedantic, but are you referring to world trade organisation (wto) or world health organisation (who) ? As i'm unaware of WTO guidance on face masks.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

I should clarify, when I said masks, it didnt have to be a mask particularly, it could be a scarf etc, just some sort of face covering. A cottage industry of making masks soon followed. I got the impression that there was an element off 'im not being forced to wear a mask, im a free man/woman' etc, it happened here to a small degree, but it was people, and not the authorities who started enforcing it..members of the public would be outraged if people were not covering their faces etc, and public shaming kind of eradicated it, plus people just wouldnt serve you in shops etc, and in some cases people would be removed by security. Public transport wouldnt allow you on trams, bus's, the metro.
Personally, I really dont understand the objection to covering your face. Bit selfish really. Some of the conspiracy theorists (mostly Americans, and British people here) crack me up, when they tell me that 'they' (whoever 'they' are, its never really explained) want to control us. If 'they' have managed to persuade governments across the globe, from such politically opposed ideologies such as America, and Iran as an example, fair play them, but its bollocks. Its shit for the economy, obviously, and im sure theres restaurants and bars that wont be there anymore when I visit, but there was government assistance to small business and it should be minimal.
To hear that in the UK, masks in shops is being considered just the other day is astonishing to me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's not enforced as that would mean the Government showing leadership. What they are doing is abdicating their responsibilities. Same during the full lockdown which wasn't by any standard a full lockdown (see Spain!). Very light touch enforcement, especially with high profile government members and advisers breaching it. By not making it mandatory to wear masks then the onus rests with the individual. 95% will respond but the moronic 5% won't.

As a driving instructor I wear a mask as does the pupil but you still see other instructors not bothering. As for shops, if they took the lead and made it mandatory then everyone would have to. If you have a condition preventing it then surely you can get a letter from you GP to confirm that.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
It's not enforced as that would mean the Government showing leadership. What they are doing is abdicating their responsibilities. Same during the full lockdown which wasn't by any standard a full lockdown (see Spain!). Very light touch enforcement, especially with high profile government members and advisers breaching it. By not making it mandatory to wear masks then the onus rests with the individual. 95% will respond but the moronic 5% won't.

As a driving instructor I wear a mask as does the pupil but you still see other instructors not bothering. As for shops, if they took the lead and made it mandatory then everyone would have to. If you have a condition preventing it then surely you can get a letter from you GP to confirm that.

Quite, but I cant think of any major condition that would prevent you covering your face for 10 minutes in a shop. If that is the case, get a family member to get what you need. You shouldnt be out at all. We have dropped face coverings here all but the metro... during the lockdown here, shops just wouldnt serve you if your face wasnt covered. People took responsibility

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Do you have to wear a mask in a bank?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here