Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
For weeks I've been telling my elderly parents in Dorset they should cover their nose and mouth whenever they go shopping etc. I live in a country where people use masks all the time for various different reasons. Normally I don't use them because I don't have any pollen allergies and us westerners just aren't used to wearing them in public, however, I have been since Covid emerged.

It doesn't offer full-proof protection against droplets by any means but will act as some kind of shield going both ways, so stop being stubborn and just cover up when out. Why even question it, what real bother is it going to cause you or others, it's just such a simple thing to do and does have some reducing effect.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well we get our first day since the lock down with less than 1000 cases and the response is lots of easing today from Johnson for July 4.

Yet apart from public transport and a few other places still no need to wear face masks anywhere? Am I over simplifying things but I find this just bizarre, just look over the other side of the channel and its a whole different ball game.

They don't even have to make it mandatory, just making it advisory for indoor spaces. It ain't rocket science...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well we get our first day since the lock down with less than 1000 cases and the response is lots of easing today from Johnson for July 4.

Yet apart from public transport and a few other places still no need to wear face masks anywhere? Am I over simplifying things but I find this just bizarre, just look over the other side of the channel and its a whole different ball game.

They don't even have to make it mandatory, just making it advisory for indoor spaces. It ain't rocket science...

The vast majority of England is delighted with this news nicko!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And from my experience of public transport less than half the punters on the buses and trains are bothering to follow the guidelines//rules.

Very few people on the street either.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
The vast majority of England is delighted with this news nicko!

Good for you CR, I personally am a little concerned, maybe because I am shielding a shielded wife so all this loosening of restrictions will not make a hapenth of difference for us as her life comes first and until this virus is virtually extinct or a viable treatment/vaccine is forthcoming no chances will be taken by us here.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Good for you CR, I personally am a little concerned, maybe because I am shielding a shielded wife so all this loosening of restrictions will not make a hapenth of difference for us as her life comes first and until this virus is virtually extinct or a viable treatment/vaccine is forthcoming no chances will be taken by us here.

Wish you and your wife well

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I feel your pain, it is very difficult for us shielding families to celebrate all these extra freedoms people are getting when it doesn’t feel any better for us!

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I feel your pain, it is very difficult for us shielding families to celebrate all these extra freedoms people are getting when it doesn’t feel any better for us!

Thanks for the support Wolfie, on a very much lighter note, we haven't seen our Grandaughter since March 3rd and also missed her third birthday in that time but her other Grandparents are bringing her down to the coast on Thursday so we can have a socially distanced picnic together, we honestly cannot wait, I think it'll be difficult for Mrs g to resist a hug. Hope all is good with your family.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks for the support Wolfie, on a very much lighter note, we haven't seen our Grandaughter since March 3rd and also missed her third birthday in that time but her other Grandparents are bringing her down to the coast on Thursday so we can have a socially distanced picnic together, we honestly cannot wait, I think it'll be difficult for Mrs g to resist a hug. Hope all is good with your family.

That sounds wonderful for you, I hope the picnic goes well.

My daughter moved to Kent just before Christmas and we had created a lovely bond with her little one, my first grandson, he can’t understand why he can’t come into Dad Dads house when they come round, with us chatting out of an upstairs window - hopefully things will change!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have hospital appointments every other day at the moment and trust me the doctors aren’t happy at all with bungling Boris. All I hear is until a vaccine is available......

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Scotland makes the use of face masks advisory in shops, seems like a pragmatic move.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Just been on a train from shoreham to London Bridge. About 99% of travellers were wearing masks which seems a lot different to what people have said about bus users.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just been on a train from shoreham to London Bridge. About 99% of travellers were wearing masks which seems a lot different to what people have said about bus users.

Miss WS has been using B&H Buses for the last two weeks and nobody wears a mask. She's now stopped as well. Let's be honest it was all a political gimmick anyway - the masks not Covid 19

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The strange thing is that I have seen station staff at numerous stations not wearing masks. The tannoy announcement does say if you are travelling you must wear one, I suppose they aren't travelling... [emoji848]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Miss WS has been using B&H Buses for the last two weeks and nobody wears a mask. She's now stopped as well. Let's be honest it was all a political gimmick anyway - the masks not Covid 19

Are you saying masks are a "political gimmick". Better surely to wear one in a shop or on a bus than not wearing one?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Bus%u00252Bwankers.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you saying masks are a "political gimmick". Better surely to wear one in a shop or on a bus than not wearing one?

Yes, yes I am. The WHO couldn't make up their minds if they were good or bad. If they do work then the UK government imposed them far too late. Equally, if they're so important why not mandate them everywhere ? Also, if having a mask is so important then opening places such as pubs and restaurants somewhat goes against that necessity. It's a gimmick to try and make people think the government are looking after their wellbeing - they are not. They are more concerned about economics than peoples health.

Not that it affects me as I'm exempt from wearing one anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here