Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It just seems basic common sense that if the virus gets spread by coughing or sneezing then it's far safer to cough or sneeze into a mask than into the air. No data required shirley

Yes, but if you are socially distancing they are doing nothing and of course with the worlds Hospitals/Health workers crying out for them you are making more demand on the already creaking supply chain by telling Public to wear them.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Seems a bit pricey for a disposable mask you can only wear once.

I've received it in the post this morning. The instructions say it can be washed, albeit with the caveat of not using too much detergent on it and that it can be wiped with antibacterial wipes, so it appears it's reusable.

It's there if I ever have to wear one though. I'm more than capable of not putting my hands near my face when out and trying to observe social distancing at all times, even if others can't.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've received it in the post this morning. The instructions say it can be washed, albeit with the caveat of not using too much detergent on it and that it can be wiped with antibacterial wipes, so it appears it's reusable.

It's there if I ever have to wear one though. I'm more than capable of not putting my hands near my face when out and trying to observe social distancing at all times, even if others can't.

They definitely aren't designed to be washed. The seller (who is charging over the odds) has copped out by saying "some customers have told us they can be washed."

You'd think a supplier of medical supplies would know.

In fact there is a whole raft of research going on worldwide (now) to work how to re-use them without damaging the effectiveness of the mask.

So they obviously do have a place but that place outside of a medical environment (where they are used only once) is to protect you from given it to somebody else if you aren't suffering symptoms.

What we actually need is testing. If you come back positive you stay inside for 2 weeks.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They definitely aren't designed to be washed. The seller (who is charging over the odds) has copped out by saying "some customers have told us they can be washed."

You'd think a supplier of medical supplies would know.

In fact there is a whole raft of research going on worldwide (now) to work how to re-use them without damaging the effectiveness of the mask.

So they obviously do have a place but that place outside of a medical environment (where they are used only once) is to protect you from given it to somebody else if you aren't suffering symptoms.

What we actually need is testing. If you come back positive you stay inside for 2 weeks.

I know that.

I've listed the company that provided it above. It's a 'KN95 BREATHING PROTECTIVE MASK' CE FFP2 EN149:2001 MEET THE NATIONAL STANDARD GB2626-2006

The washing is done by 'use a damp cloth to wipe it gently. Do not use a lot of water, fertilizer, soap and detergent for washing.'

It can be wiped 'regularly' apparently.

'Shelf life: unopened, three years.'

Manufacturer: Zhongshan Zhongxin Medical Technology Co. Ltd.
'Embrace each day with love, touch everyone with heart'

As I say, it's going back in the draw and it was only bought for things like the reason I gave above, it's wasn't for my protection. I also saw a while ago in Italy it apparently causes a panic if someone turns up at a supermarket without a mask on - it was just for potential reasons like that I got it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thing that gets understated about masks. Ok there is a doubt if 100% work but it can minimize the risk but very importantly , IT STOPS YOU TOUCHING YOUR FACE AND MOUTH which is how most infection is passed.

Wore one a few weeks ago when on holiday for the first time (other than briefly in hospital once a long time ago). It doesn't - it's incredibly irritating and you end up touching your face far more than you would otherwise I reckon (perhaps you get used to it but after 4-5 fairly lengthy spells of doing so I didn't)

I understand the normal cheap paper/fabric masks aren't fine enough to capture the droplets but they must at least stop some of them when you cough (if you have it), and if you don't, must again at least afford some protection, if not 100%.

Biggest problem for me is given there is an evident global shortage and our NHS staff can't get enough, making them mandatory for everyone else is untenable until supplies can be secured.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
My problem with the cheaper, non adjustable masks is that I've got a big head and they're all made in China for smaller headed Chinese folk. So when I put one on it makes my ears protrude to the point that people now call me FA Cup.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I have seen an increasing number of people wandering around wearing them these days, absolutely no idea where they can be bought currently while the NHS says they are crying out for PPE ?

I managed to get hold of some from a family member whose company are involved with supply of them.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
_20200504_170038.JPG

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
In New York you have to wear one if you are on public transport or can't practice social distancing. That seems sensible to me. When I go for my lunchtime walk round the local streets and can easily stay at a safe distance is does seem to be over doing it.

I think people's problems stem from when CV first started being a thing everyone wearing a mask seemed to be in their 20s and acted like it was a magic shield allowing them to duck in and out of people's personal space. Also I think subconsciously we don't like people covering their face.

The Governor has now made them mandatory anywhere outside. I'd say that about 90% of New Yorkers were wearing them until the good weather last weekend when a lot had gone back to not wearing them. The police can issue a summons and up to a $1,000 fine (I think) for not wearing them but in most places their presence is enough for people to put them on. Also since they became mandatory you can buy them in the stores for a dollar each. I have got used to wearing them all the time now outside and it's a minor inconvenience compared to the risks that the medical folk are taking and most stores will not let you in if you are not wearing one

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Seeing increasing reports that wearing of masks/face coverings is more about protection of others rather than yourself, it may well be compulsory on public transport in the early phase of exiting lockdown.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You cannot make them mandatory unless they are readily available at an affordable price.

You can, just means the poor won't be able to go out...!

Seriously though, since the government (Boris) threw out another half-baked morsel at the press conference, there has been no clarity as to what exactly a "mask" means - is it a mask, in the literal sense, or just a face covering, like the Palace ultras?

The Devil, as always is in the detail...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
You cannot make them mandatory unless they are readily available at an affordable price.

Public transport could, if you aren’t wearing a mask/face covering you cannot board buses or trains... it’s just one way of getting the public back on the rattler. I agree they need to be available and affordable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Governor has now made them mandatory anywhere outside. I'd say that about 90% of New Yorkers were wearing them until the good weather last weekend when a lot had gone back to not wearing them. The police can issue a summons and up to a $1,000 fine (I think) for not wearing them but in most places their presence is enough for people to put them on. Also since they became mandatory you can buy them in the stores for a dollar each. I have got used to wearing them all the time now outside and it's a minor inconvenience compared to the risks that the medical folk are taking and most stores will not let you in if you are not wearing one

I imagine that is a very sensible policy if in a busy city and at least they have made them available to buy cheaply. I don't remain convinced they are so effective in less densely packed areas and if they do bring in a similar law here they will need to have them in shops.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I imagine that is a very sensible policy if in a busy city and at least they have made them available to buy cheaply. I don't remain convinced they are so effective in less densely packed areas and if they do bring in a similar law here they will need to have them in shops.

In France they were handing them out for free at their stations. We would have to do something similar I think.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
All those saying masks must be available and cheap do realise we have a market forces driven government in power, don’t they?

Yes, that is a politicised statement, but you only have to listen to Matt Hancock’s response to the question of PPE for returning workers to know it’s every man for themselves, with no help from government.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here