Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Being scared of Covid is far from irrational and if someone feels safer wearing a mask when walking their dog then leave them to it and allow them to return to normal at their own pace.

Can I just comment on this. (And I have not read your previous posts so apologies.)

I don’t wear a mask because I am scared of Covid. I’m double jabbed, so if I do get it I should suffer less.

I wear a mask to protect others and prevent transmission. I wear a mask out of respect to people working in high footfall areas who have no choice over the number of people they meet. I wear a mask so that our hospital beds are free from Covid patients and our doctors and nurses can instead treat that child with leukemia or diagnose breast cancer so a young mother might be treated earlier.

There are some occasions when it’s hard to wear masks e.g. dancing in a club, but where it is possible, why don’t we all just pop one on and help mitigate risk.

I have no problem looking like an idiot wearing a mask and will continue to do so. I think in a few months when death rates are higher and we do hit the numbers of infections that the modeling suggested then we’ll see restrictions and masks back. When that happens we’ll all wish we had behaved differently when we could.

Never “let the people decide” in these matters. It’s an abdication of leadership. Then again, we seem to be bizarrely happy with that in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Vimes

Aug 22, 2008
Can I just comment on this. (And I have not read your previous posts so apologies.)

I don’t wear a mask because I am scared of Covid. I’m double jabbed, so if I do get it I should suffer less.

I wear a mask to protect others and prevent transmission. I wear a mask out of respect to people working in high footfall areas who have no choice over the number of people they meet. I wear a mask so that our hospital beds are free from Covid patients and our doctors and nurses can instead treat that child with leukemia or diagnose breast cancer so a young mother might be treated earlier.

There are some occasions when it’s hard to wear masks e.g. dancing in a club, but where it is possible, why don’t we all just pop one on and help mitigate risk.

I have no problem looking like an idiot wearing a mask and will continue to do so. I think in a few months when death rates are higher and we do hit the numbers of infections that the modeling suggested then we’ll see restrictions and masks back. When that happens we’ll all wish we had behaved differently when we could.

Never “let the people decide” in these matters. It’s an abdication of leadership. Then again, we seem to be bizarrely happy with that in this country.

Absolutely agree!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

I agree there should have been a lot more leadership from the government over mask wearing as the whole let the people decide policy has led to most people not wearing them (I estimate 40% of people wearing them on a packed train going to the football yesterday, although interestingly Brighton fans were bringing the average up).

I was referencing a post about a women walking her dog on her own in the middle of a field. Although masks protect other more than you some people are under the impression it protects them more.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree there should have been a lot more leadership from the government over mask wearing as the whole let the people decide policy has led to most people not wearing them (I estimate 40% of people wearing them on a packed train going to the football yesterday, although interestingly Brighton fans were bringing the average up).

I was referencing a post about a women walking her dog on her own in the middle of a field. Although masks protect other more than you some people are under the impression it protects them more.

[emoji1417]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's sad to read. I find the wholesale abandonment of mask-wearing in and around the Amex really quite concerning. It's like Covid never happened. Maybe 1 in 100 of the folks piling off the packed trains wearing a mask. Doubtless the same ON the trains. Wall-to-wall mask-free shouty conversations on the concourses. Just seems like a superspreader event waiting to happen frankly. In an ideal world there would be strong messaging put out to get a lateral flow test both before games and a few days after games, whether you're vaccinated or whether you're not. But sadly such a message would doubtless fall on deaf ears

The societal sea change on masks appeared to occur at the beginning of this month.

We travelled by train at the end of July to London Bridge, on our way to London City Airport. 99% of adults wearing masks.

8 days later on a packed commuter train going the other way, just a few old people wearing them. Suited workers, holidaymakers/air crew heading to Gatwick, in their 20’s to 50’s not bothering whatsoever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surely there will come a time when the powers that be realise that the education of children is vital? Not just a good idea if convenient; not just important; it is vital. They must insist on a first principle that schools work as normal and the rest of us must work around that if need be.

And for kids mental health. Being amongst their peers, play time at breaks, it’s vital.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Went to Tesco’s today for first time in about 3 weeks, for the last year normally 95% wearing masks, today 50%, looks like the summer holidays have changed a lot of peoples views.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I forgot my mask after changing cars and going to get petrol. That maskless incident really got me out of the mask habit and now I don't bother unless I have one readily to hand.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Went to Tesco’s today for first time in about 3 weeks, for the last year normally 95% wearing masks, today 50%, looks like the summer holidays have changed a lot of peoples views.

From my experience in my locality Tesco 40%, Waitrose 80%, Garden Centre 90%.

I always wear a mask out of respect to the staff that have put themselves on the line for us during the pandemic, many of which earn modest wages...

Yoda

English & European
From my experience in my locality Tesco 40%, Waitrose 80%, Garden Centre 90%.

I always wear a mask out of respect to the staff that have put themselves on the line for us during the pandemic, many of which earn modest wages...

Tend to do a shop at Tesco from about 9:30 or later at night when it's quiet (without wearing a mask ourselves) and I would say it's closer to 15% or less, and that INCLUDES all the staff restocking the shelfs. I suppose the thinking is you can get away with it more due to it being so quiet and being able to effectively keep a distance if required.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tend to do a shop at Tesco from about 9:30 or later at night when it's quiet (without wearing a mask ourselves) and I would say it's closer to 15% or less, and that INCLUDES all the staff restocking the shelfs. I suppose the thinking is you can get away with it more due to it being so quiet and being able to effectively keep a distance if required.
Go after work about 7 not too busy and the majority of the staff aren’t wearing one and personally I don’t

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I've spent a few days in London assisting with set up of a massive exhibition at Somerset House for a couple of exhibitors in their late 70's, one of whom has health issues. We had the option to make the room a mask zone and like many others took up the option.
On the opening day, a handful wandered through without masks and a polite request was usually met with 'sure, no problem' (we also had free disposables available) or they moved on if they didn't want to wear a mask. All fair enough.
The issue was two separate fit looking individuals, smartly dressed, mid 30's who refused and said they were exempt. Well exempt from what - protecting a couple of almost 80 year olds from possibly being extra exposed to Covid breath?
In hindsight, I should have asked them to leave.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here