Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Already started wearing mine :thumbsup:

67551467_10156852851627763_8370704609215250432_n.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No clue, but they seemed to have got it right so far and stemmed it. will have to wait and see. First easing of restriction starts tomorrow. No change regarding masks. Now after over a month of them, I dont understand peoples objection to them. Why are people rejecting them exactly?

Cos they are ********s who don't like to be told what to do by the Government!

Oh and you can't get proper masks for love nor money here in the UK, tried to order some for my wife for when she goes for her chemo treatment, got a month delivery date...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm indifferent as to whether they offer me or others protection, but I reluctantly ordered one from https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/ a few days ago in anticipation of them becoming a future requirement.

Whether or when it even turns up delivered is a different matter.

I've no idea if this is of any use to anyone, but the mask I ordered above has now been dispatched for delivery according to an email I received earlier - https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/hygiene-face-mask-ffp2-n95

As I said, I've only ordered this if wearing one becomes a requirement.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Bearing in mind you aren't allowed to cover your face in a football ground there might be an interesting decision for someone to make when crowds are allowed back in games!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My local chemist sells them for £1.50 or £50 for 50 medical grade which isn’t to bad. The pharmacist says the barrier could be essential between life and death.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
My local chemist sells them for £1.50 or £50 for 50 medical grade which isn’t to bad. The pharmacist says the barrier could be essential between life and death.

'Could be' is the salient part of that sentence. I was at Tesco's last night and was vaguely miffed when a woman stood mid aisle having a mobile phone conversation. When she finished she put her mask back on.

They are actually more effective protecting other people from you than you from other people but some are using them as a fashion accessory and nullifying the benefits.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
'Could be' is the salient part of that sentence. I was at Tesco's last night and was vaguely miffed when a woman stood mid aisle having a mobile phone conversation. When she finished she put her mask back on.

They are actually more effective protecting other people from you than you from other people but some are using them as a fashion accessory and nullifying the benefits.
The one’s wearing normal builder dust masks are wasting their time as they build up moisture levels and could be worse than not wearing one.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just heard seen an item of the Pier Morgan programme (yes, I know). An Oxford professor (Greenhalgh) reported an experiment in the states wherein a 'mask' that was simply constructed of 2 layers of cotton had a significant (possibly 90%) effect on the expulsions from someone's mouth. Sorry for the layman's version but let's assume that for one minute that it's valid.

What could possibly be the arguments against this being rolled out as govt advice? The position at the moment seems to be that they are waiting for 'the science' So what they are worried abut is the behavioural aspects/'science'.

- if folk get this message they'll all run around thinking that they are invincible
- they'll stop washing their hands
- they'll start french kissing strangers?

These would be bad things.

But would the behavioural effects result in a net risk to public health? We simply don't know and we'll never find out. But surely it's a quick and dirty thing worth trying (let's admit that 'proper' masks would be ideal but that the government is rightly concerned there'll be insufficient stocks for key workers - I get this).

My view is that it would be a sensible thing to do IF folk were told that (as I believe is the case) this measure would not protect them as much as it protect other people. What more public-spirited thing could someone do than to wear a mask to (help) protect others? (OK there'd be some that would still think that it protects them and f*ck everyone else.)

The prof was of the view that definite proof that this would work could not be done unitl there was a randomised experiment (eg folk in Worthing are all these things, folk in Horsham don't and let's see the results). this isn't going to happen but she was of the firm opinion that it would be worth doing for its 'precautionary' benefits.

Meanwhile the govt dithers? What data are they waiting for, I (genuinley) wonder? My fear is that they are waiting to see if plan A fails and then they'd do this. In my view this is rather reckless. (Nobody says this is easy.)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just heard seen an item of the Pier Morgan programme (yes, I know). An Oxford professor (Greenhalgh) reported an experiment in the states wherein a 'mask' that was simply constructed of 2 layers of cotton had a significant (possibly 90%) effect on the expulsions from someone's mouth. Sorry for the layman's version but let's assume that for one minute that it's valid.

What could possibly be the arguments against this being rolled out as govt advice? The position at the moment seems to be that they are waiting for 'the science' So what they are worried abut is the behavioural aspects/'science'.

- if folk get this message they'll all run around thinking that they are invincible
- they'll stop washing their hands
- they'll start french kissing strangers?

These would be bad things.

But would the behavioural effects result in a net risk to public health? We simply don't know and we'll never find out. But surely it's a quick and dirty thing worth trying (let's admit that 'proper' masks would be ideal but that the government is rightly concerned there'll be insufficient stocks for key workers - I get this).

My view is that it would be a sensible thing to do IF folk were told that (as I believe is the case) this measure would not protect them as much as it protect other people. What more public-spirited thing could someone do than to wear a mask to (help) protect others? (OK there'd be some that would still think that it protects them and f*ck everyone else.)

The prof was of the view that definite proof that this would work could not be done unitl there was a randomised experiment (eg folk in Worthing are all these things, folk in Horsham don't and let's see the results). this isn't going to happen but she was of the firm opinion that it would be worth doing for its 'precautionary' benefits.

Meanwhile the govt dithers? What data are they waiting for, I (genuinley) wonder? My fear is that they are waiting to see if plan A fails and then they'd do this. In my view this is rather reckless. (Nobody says this is easy.)

It just seems basic common sense that if the virus gets spread by coughing or sneezing then it's far safer to cough or sneeze into a mask than into the air. No data required shirley

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

If masks were recommended, it would be to protect other people from the virus, not yourself (as they are used in other countries). Judging by the comments on this thread, the UK population in general is not bright enough to grasp this concept. I can see why the Government are worried about mask wearing people disregarding social distancing too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've no idea if this is of any use to anyone, but the mask I ordered above has now been dispatched for delivery according to an email I received earlier - https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/hygiene-face-mask-ffp2-n95

As I said, I've only ordered this if wearing one becomes a requirement.

The last thing the Government will want is people ordering medical grade masks when we’ll clearly be better served with NHS staff or carers wearing what little stock of them there is. I can’t see them being recommended any time soon, especially when Mr Johnson makes his inevitable comments about what a Chinese person wearing one looks like.

You only need a simple cloth mask to reduce the chance of you infecting someone by over 70%.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The last thing the Government will want is people ordering medical grade masks when we’ll clearly be better served with NHS staff or carers wearing what little stock of them there is. I can’t see them being recommended any time soon, especially when Mr Johnson makes his inevitable comments about what a Chinese person wearing one looks like.

You only need a simple cloth mask to reduce the chance of you infecting someone by over 70%.

It was the only one I could find online. When it arrives it'll be put away in a draw and only used if it ever becomes a requirement and I doubt now it will based on what I read in The Times yesterday, which is similar to your first sentence above. As some people must be reusing the same mask each time they go out or when working in a shop etc, it does seem somewhat futile in any case.

If that mask is medical grade, I do wonder why UK Meds are still selling to the general public.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Thing that gets understated about masks. Ok there is a doubt if 100% work but it can minimize the risk but very importantly , IT STOPS YOU TOUCHING YOUR FACE AND MOUTH which is how most infection is passed.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
In New York you have to wear one if you are on public transport or can't practice social distancing. That seems sensible to me. When I go for my lunchtime walk round the local streets and can easily stay at a safe distance is does seem to be over doing it.

I think people's problems stem from when CV first started being a thing everyone wearing a mask seemed to be in their 20s and acted like it was a magic shield allowing them to duck in and out of people's personal space. Also I think subconsciously we don't like people covering their face.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thing that gets understated about masks. Ok there is a doubt if 100% work but it can minimize the risk but very importantly , IT STOPS YOU TOUCHING YOUR FACE AND MOUTH which is how most infection is passed.

Indeed many masks aren't much good. Maybe wear one when you go out, then bin it carefully on return to the house, then wash your hands, then clean anything you have touched, then wash your hands again

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But unless you used to putting one on and using it, you end up touching the area around your face more adjusting the mask. It also doesn't protect your eyes.

Lots of people wearing them in London, just fiddling with the things.

The only case for masks is they can help if the person wearing one has the virus but is asymptomatic.

If they know they have the virus they shouldn't be outside.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here