Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a real shame that these directives have ended coming from individual businesses and organisations, rather than from government!

It's all a bit of a sad shoddy mess, isn't it?

Reminds me a bit of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBIa8z_Mts

It's an absolute shambles but one thing is pleasing that the vast majority according to surveys will continue to wear their masks and hopefully peer pressure will make those determined to ditch theirs see sense.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pleasing to see all major supermarkets will continue to ask shoppers to wear masks, also Tesco going the extra mile with continuing to restrict numbers shopping at one time and screens between checkouts to remain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57839990

Yes it’s good that they are allowing us to make our own judgement whilst ‘encouraging’

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes it’s good that they are allowing us to make our own judgement whilst ‘encouraging’

The problem now is that the supermarkets and local authorities will insist on masks until the government says all clear, and the government will say that there are no restrictions and it's up to the supermarkets and local authorities, and no-one will dare say "that's it, let's get on with it".

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The problem now is that the supermarkets and local authorities will insist on masks until the government says all clear, and the government will say that there are no restrictions and it's up to the supermarkets and local authorities, and no-one will dare say "that's it, let's get on with it".

They can’t insist and according to Tesco’s staff won’t be approaching you..so up to the I
Individual..the only side that will be enforceable is the traffic light system

Ps I’m not disagreeing with you

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I really can't believe people have such an issue with wearing a mask in enclosed and crowded places currently when there is so much covid around. For you half an hour or less weekly shop?? To help protect people and stop the spread?? I think for many masks will be here to stay permanently and for a great majority they will probably be here through the Autumn and Winter but if we get through to next spring and cases will hopefully be a small fraction of what they are now then I see no reason why supermarkets would then request masks, it will very much be up to individuals.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hugely clever of 95% of the Conservative Party to go maskless in a packed Parliament today. Heroes, one and all.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm no supporter of the Torys but... who cares if they're not wearing masks :shrug:

Sajid Javid

"If I'm in a crowded or enclosed space, I will wear a face mask. In fact I will wear one if I was next to someone or near someone that felt uncomfortable with others not wearing face masks.

"And that's what I mean by personality responsibility."

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Absolute disgrace in a packed enclosed space that so many MPs who should be leading by example as we enter our 4th wave, go mask less. Never have our MPs been held in so much contempt by their people.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Absolute disgrace in a packed enclosed space that so many MPs who should be leading by example as we enter our 4th wave, go mask less. Never have our MPs been held in so much contempt by their people.
Not by all the people, crodo. Yes, there are people who believe that all possbile precautions should be taken against covid regardless of other considerations. And there are people who believe that coronavirus has become just another illness that requires reasonable precautions that do not impact too much on daily life and that wearing masks is not reasonable in respect of the benefits it gives.

I was at Accrington last weekend watching the football and didn't wear a mask. Nor did anyone else - it stood out, when the physio ran onto the field, that it was the first mask I had seen all day. It's true those people were out of doors, but it was out of doors under a low roof. I don't know if stats exist to show whether a crowd out of doors under a low roof is more or less infectious than a crowd indoors under a high roof - but it's going to be a fine line. Certainly too fine a line to say that those football fans, maskless, under a low roof will feel contempt for MPs, maskless, under a high roof.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's just him playing politics.

In reality we need to phase out the masks. People shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable if others aren't wearing one. There's simply no need anymore.

My 17 year old grandson went to a festival last weekend and now has covid. He is quite ill with it. There is a need for masks, as youngsters haven't been vaccinated yet,

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The masks debate has been a bit of a nonsense for a long time. There's hardly any scientific research behind it, Trish Greenhalgh seems to be the best source of info even though she's completely biased.
From what I've read the standard type mask that everyone puts on will only help if you're coughing as it stops droplets coming out of your mouth/nose. It won't stop covid in it's aerosol form, the only thing that will is a properly fitted ffp3 mask that is sealed around your face and can't be removed. People seem to think they're fully protected because they've got a loosely fitting piece of cloth in front of their mouth that's letting their breath go around the sides.

Unless you've got symptoms it's pointless and if you have got symptoms you shouldn't be going near people in the first place!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Many haven't had the flu vaccine either.

But it doesn't really matter as young people aren't at any real risk from the flu, or covid.

It's not really important that people don't have to wear masks at festivals or nightclubs, as virus transmission isn't an issue at the moment.

If anything it's advantageous for young unvaccinated people to build a natural immunity to it now, rather than pass it on during flu season.

It doesn't really matter if my grandson is ill, and he is. He's also vulnerable having been hospitalised twice with asthma when he was younger.
Wearing masks protects others and is responsible. Some other person passed the virus to him and he is ill.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The masks debate has been a bit of a nonsense for a long time. There's hardly any scientific research behind it, Trish Greenhalgh seems to be the best source of info even though she's completely biased.
From what I've read the standard type mask that everyone puts on will only help if you're coughing as it stops droplets coming out of your mouth/nose. It won't stop covid in it's aerosol form, the only thing that will is a properly fitted ffp3 mask that is sealed around your face and can't be removed. People seem to think they're fully protected because they've got a loosely fitting piece of cloth in front of their mouth that's letting their breath go around the sides.

Unless you've got symptoms it's pointless and if you have got symptoms you shouldn't be going near people in the first place!

When you talk, you expel air from your mouth, which is why singing was banned for a while as it expels the droplets further than just talking. That's why the six foot gap was advised. It doesn't have to be coughing.

Masks do not protect the wearer but do protect people near the wearer. Doctors don't wear masks in theatre to protect themselves, they wear them to protect the patient on the table.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6498/1422

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't mean to appear unsympathetic as I know you're worried, but there really is no need to be. Under 18's EVEN with underlying health issues are at such little risk of covid complications that they carry out considerably more risky activities every day - such as walking down stairs or crossing roads.

Being exposed to bugs is natural and healthy and important for the immune system. Your 17 year old grandson will be poorly at the moment, just as he would be with other bugs, but he will now have gained a strong immune response to covid in the future... which is great for him and great for society.

At a festival, it is possible more than one person passed the virus to him. This would have likely happened even if everyone was wearing masks, given that he is attending a possible super spreader event. So either it was deeply irresponsible for him to attend if he genuinely is vulnerable, or the more likely scenario is that it doesn't really matter that he has caught covid, aside from being poorly for a few days.

Either way - should we wear masks in all public spaces for the rest of time - or should we accept again that bugs exist and people will get poorly from time to time?

Yes, we should wear masks until the vast majority of the public are vaccinated. Herd immunity is achieved by vaccination not survival of the fittest.
I do know the risks of walking downstairs or crossing road having brought up children and as a grandmother to three. Don’t patronise me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, we should wear masks until the vast majority of the public are vaccinated. Herd immunity is achieved by vaccination not survival of the fittest.
I do know the risks of walking downstairs or crossing road having brought up children and as a grandmother to three. Don’t patronise me.

Sorry but ..there’s science we can all quote to support what we think and personally I’ve not worn one since July 18th …having said that if I was in say a packed train for a long period of time I would consider it
Still it’s an opinion and you of course are welcome to yours without patronisation

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry but ..there’s science we can all quote to support what we think and personally I’ve not worn one since July 18th …having said that if I was in say a packed train for a long period of time I would consider it
Still it’s an opinion and you of course are welcome to yours without patronisation

The reference to being patronised wasn’t to do with wearing masks.

How often do you test yourself?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When you talk, you expel air from your mouth, which is why singing was banned for a while as it expels the droplets further than just talking. That's why the six foot gap was advised. It doesn't have to be coughing.

Masks do not protect the wearer but do protect people near the wearer. Doctors don't wear masks in theatre to protect themselves, they wear them to protect the patient on the table.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6498/1422

That backs up what I'm saying. The cheap masks only stop coughs, they don't stop the aerosols that come out when air is expelled. They aren't protecting the wearer or people around them from aerosol transmission.

The aerosols are stopped by properly fitted FFP3 masks, this is what they're wearing on the covid wards and they are there to protect the wearer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here