Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

Yeah, I saw that at the time. When just about every country in Europe was locking down borders, and enforcing masks, the UK government advice was 'wash your hands'. Incredible, and then rolling out excuses for the UK having among the largest death tolls in the world.. Sadly, that advice appears to have caused a lot of unnecessary grief. The government actions have been at best, lax.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hopefully something sensible today for schools and the wearing of masks in communal areas.

Lots of schools here in the Thames Valley sending kids home, one local to me sent the whole of year 8 home (180 kids) for 14 days, it takes just one case.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just read about masks giving a possible similar benefit to a vaccination.

If you catch CV through a mask it is very likely to be a low viral load ( unless you are in a hospital where the viral load is massive anyway ) - which generates an immune response similar to what a vaccine would.

Sounds interesting.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If you catch CV through a mask it is very likely to be a low viral load ( unless you are in a hospital where the viral load is massive anyway ) - which generates an immune response similar to what a vaccine would.

Sounds interesting.

Sounds like absolute bollocks! (In my humble opinion)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, I saw that at the time. When just about every country in Europe was locking down borders, and enforcing masks, the UK government advice was 'wash your hands'. Incredible, and then rolling out excuses for the UK having among the largest death tolls in the world.. Sadly, that advice appears to have caused a lot of unnecessary grief. The government actions have been at best, lax.

The WHO advice until the 5th June was that masks should only be worn by those showing symptoms, or caring for those with the virus. Their virologists, along with those in countries such as UK, always seemed to say in interviews that there’s no evidence that they protect people from viruses of others. So countries such as France, the UK, Ireland, Sweden and NZ didn’t require them in shops for example in those early months. Sweden still doesn’t, their national CV19 guru Tegnell argues that they’re dangerous because people then crowd.

I remember that you said very early on that Czech Republic were quick to make them mandatory.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
The WHO advice until the 5th June was that masks should only be worn by those showing symptoms, or caring for those with the virus. Their virologists, along with those in countries such as UK, always seemed to say in interviews that there’s no evidence that they protect people from viruses of others. So countries such as France, the UK, Ireland, Sweden and NZ didn’t require them in shops for example in those early months. Sweden still doesn’t, their national CV19 guru Tegnell argues that they’re dangerous because people then crowd.

I remember that you said very early on that Czech Republic were quick to make them mandatory.

Back in them for shops and public transport due to a big rise in cases. Prague mayor blaming govt for easing restrictions too early

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Without wishing to repeat what has been said 101 times before on here, the advice about masks changed.

But why would the expert (and 100's of scientists) who's investigated pandemics for decades not have known what masks do from the outset to give this advice? They would have certainly had a TON of information already researched. Don't get me wrong I agree that they must add value on public transport but I also think that mask wearing invitebly leads to people getting closer in all sort of scenarios which is counter productive. I was in the supermarket yesterday and couldnt really say I saw a single person adhering to any social distancing. I think we have again just knee jerked into a rule that is ill thought out and counter productive. Just like 10pm curfews are leading to horrible transport crowding and inpromptu street gathering.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
https://youtu.be/p6pEcgDmEUk

Quite some u turn from a guy being held up as the biggest covid authority and who’s spent decades becoming an expert on pandemics...

It seems to me that more has been learnt about this particular virus, it's transmission and the usefulness of masks, since March and he's therefore changed his position. Seems sensible to me. I'd be more concerned if he was dogmatically banging on and on without taking on any new information.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
But why would the expert (and 100's of scientists) who's investigated pandemics for decades not have known what masks do from the outset to give this advice? They would have certainly had a TON of information already researched. Don't get me wrong I agree that they must add value on public transport but I also think that mask wearing invitebly leads to people getting closer in all sort of scenarios which is counter productive. I was in the supermarket yesterday and couldnt really say I saw a single person adhering to any social distancing. I think we have again just knee jerked into a rule that is ill thought out and counter productive. Just like 10pm curfews are leading to horrible transport crowding and inpromptu street gathering.

Because he is a scientist who changed his opinion as new evidence emerged.

As for social distancing in shops people need to self police or they will restrict the amount of people coming in at one time further and queues will form.

To the best of my knowledge the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in the USA didn't have any say in pub closing times in the UK.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It's getting desperate now, conspiracy theorists dragging out old video clips, from a time before virologists had had time to learn about CV19 and effective preventative measures.

Because if you believe there is someone or something behind the scenes pulling the strings for some nefarious purpose it can allow you to rationalise that the pandemic isn't as serious as everyone is saying and nothing to worry about (or at least less to worry about). It is almost a coping mechanism.

Which isn't to say the details of restrictions shouldn't be debated and any restrictions on civil liberties removed as soon as is necessary.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mask a load of nonsense for me but as we have to wear them , how are people so thick they cant put the mask over their hooter.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Pleasing to see all major supermarkets will continue to ask shoppers to wear masks, also Tesco going the extra mile with continuing to restrict numbers shopping at one time and screens between checkouts to remain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57839990

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Pleasing to see all major supermarkets will continue to ask shoppers to wear masks, also Tesco going the extra mile with continuing to restrict numbers shopping at one time and screens between checkouts to remain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57839990

It's a real shame that these directives have ended coming from individual businesses and organisations, rather than from government!

It's all a bit of a sad shoddy mess, isn't it?

Reminds me a bit of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBIa8z_Mts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here