Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If these become compulsory or recommended as some media reports today suggested, where are you supposed to find one/some/howevermanyyouneed.

I thought they were supposed to be ineffective anyway.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52312906

Sadiq Khan thinks it is a good idea.

UK public health experts are not currently recommending the use of face-coverings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

The World Health Organization (WHO) says it remains the case that medical masks should be reserved for healthcare workers, not the general public.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/de...tage-surgical-masks-respirators2020-03-26.pdf

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control:

Available evidence shows that they are less protective than surgical masks and may
even increase the risk of infection due to moisture, liquid diffusion and retention of the virus. Penetration of
particles through cloth is reported to be high. In one study, 40–90% of particles penetrated the mask. In a cluster
randomised controlled trial, cases of influenza-like illness and laboratory-confirmed viral illness were significantly
higher among healthcare workers using cloth masks compared to the ones using surgical masks

Altogether, common fabric cloth masks are not considered protective against respiratory viruses and their use
should not be encouraged.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have seen an increasing number of people wandering around wearing them these days, absolutely no idea where they can be bought currently while the NHS says they are crying out for PPE ?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I have seen an increasing number of people wandering around wearing them these days, absolutely no idea where they can be bought currently while the NHS says they are crying out for PPE ?

IMO anyone wandering the streets wearing one is robbing the people who really need them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If these become compulsory or recommended as some media reports today suggested, where are you supposed to find one/some/howevermanyyouneed.

and this is why it would be daft to recommend them, let alone compulsory. its also irresponsible to redirect supplies away from those that need them for protection from persistent contact, or non-medical use such as construction. its really very easy to abide by some social distancing and not make them necessary.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Illegal not to wear a mask here, potential 20k kc fine if you are stopped not wearing one. Dont know if they are effective or not, but from what I have read, more people have died in Brighton than Czech Republic. We were issued with them almost immediately at work, you can buy them in chemists, and a cottage industry of people making them has emerged and its become almost a fashion accessory. Its only necessary to cover you face. Could be a scarf, doesnt have to be an actual mask, just as long as you are covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WxtSavZR4

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've got one of these from when I was doing loads of sanding at home. Got to be better than a dodgy bit of cloth.
3m-4251-reusable-dust-mask-a1p2-filters-3314-p-1024x1024.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Illegal not to wear a mask here, potential 20k kc fine if you are stopped not wearing one. Dont know if they are effective or not, but from what I have read, more people have died in Brighton than Czech Republic. We were issued with them almost immediately at work, you can buy them in chemists, and a cottage industry of people making them has emerged and its become almost a fashion accessory. Its only necessary to cover you face. Could be a scarf, doesnt have to be an actual mask, just as long as you are covered.

I'd do most things she ask me for so I might get myself a mask.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I call this look "IRA chic"

Balaclava_3_hole_black.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
IMO anyone wandering the streets wearing one is robbing the people who really need them.

They're not PPE. They might just reduce the chance of the wearer passing on the virus to others, but they offer little or no protection to the wearers. They do make the wearers look like posh people signalling that they don't like having to share Tescos with common people though. Takes all sorts, I guess.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Bit like they did in the trenches in the first world war when under gas attack then. Worked (sort of) OK, but only if you soaked them in piss first. Wonder if that works as well against viruses as it did with chlorine gas? Well, I guess they'll find out ............................................

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Bit like they did in the trenches in the first world war when under gas attack then. Worked (sort of) OK, but only if you soaked them in piss first. Wonder if that works as well against viruses as it did with chlorine gas? Well, I guess they'll find out ............................................

Seems to have been part of the success against this thing here.They locked down pretty quickly, and masks were made compulsory with a heavy fine if ignored. I thought it was draconian at first and moaned, but I cant deny it has been somewhat successful.

Really, its no big deal to comply for a bit, and now think that its selfish not to wear one. Bit of, 'im an individual, **** everybody else. Its really not a hardship for something that is possibly a life saver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Cp72tfeXc

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm indifferent as to whether they offer me or others protection, but I reluctantly ordered one from https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/ a few days ago in anticipation of them becoming a future requirement.

Whether or when it even turns up delivered is a different matter.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I saw a young family yesterday all wearing what looked like handmade masks. Dad was carrying baby. Baby wore a little patterned mask.

I kept well away from them

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Seems to have been part of the success against this thing here.They locked down pretty quickly, and masks were made compulsory with a heavy fine if ignored. I thought it was draconian at first and moaned, but I cant deny it has been somewhat successful.

When you say 'success'... what is going to happen when they relax the lockdown? Presumably more people will be exposed to the virus again. It isn't just going to go away, is it?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
When you say 'success'... what is going to happen when they relax the lockdown? Presumably more people will be exposed to the virus again. It isn't just going to go away, is it?

No clue, but they seemed to have got it right so far and stemmed it. will have to wait and see. First easing of restriction starts tomorrow. No change regarding masks. Now after over a month of them, I dont understand peoples objection to them. Why are people rejecting them exactly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here