Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Powell & Pressburger Binge

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As I have the P&P Box set DVD I have been watching the lot, but tonight is a Double Bill of their finest, first up Life & Death of Colonel Blimp and then A Matter of Life & Death.

Superb performances from Roger Livesey in both, I know he was competing with Gielgud and Oliver at the time but how on earth did he not star in more films / become more famous?

If you can access them somehow then I urge you to watch, British Cinema at its finest...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I have the P&P Box set DVD I have been watching the lot, but tonight is a Double Bill of their finest, first up Life & Death of Colonel Blimp and then A Matter of Life & Death.

Superb performances from Roger Livesey in both, I know he was competing with Gielgud and Oliver at the time but how on earth did he not star in more films / become more famous?

If you can access them somehow then I urge you to watch, British Cinema at its finest...

I must say that I'm immune to the charms of A Matter of Life and Death - although I realise that I'm out of step with a lot of people. I really like A Canterbury Tale, it's probably my favourite P&P, although Colonel Blimp is excellent too.

Is A Small Back Room on the box set? It's one I've never seen

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Is A Small Back Room on the box set? It's one I've never seen

No, its not and not one I have seen either. Just as a matter of interest what don't you like about Matter of Life & Death?

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Must admit I've never heard of Powell and Pressburger, so can't comment. But last night I spotted the full second series of Manifest is available for a binge watch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, its not and not one I have seen either. Just as a matter of interest what don't you like about Matter of Life & Death?

I don't like the stagey trial - it's the sort of thing that was big in the 20s and 30s but I think it looks dated now. The beginning with David Niven in the aircraft is superb though, it just went downhill from there. It's the only P&P film that I don't like

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Peeping Tom" which Michael Powell did without Pressburger is also very good.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I love A Matter of Life Of Death, absolutely superb. Colonel Blimp is great as I know Where I'm Going and Black Narcissus. I have Red Shoes and Battle of River Plate recorded to watch

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I don't like the stagey trial - it's the sort of thing that was big in the 20s and 30s but I think it looks dated now. The beginning with David Niven in the aircraft is superb though, it just went downhill from there. It's the only P&P film that I don't like

Can't agree about the Trial Scene as it is the whole point of the film, the fact it may or may not actually be taking place is of course also the point of the film. Can I presume you don't like fantasy films?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Of course it's dated! It's 70 years old! Maybe if David Niven whipped out his I-phone to call his mates to come and give evidence for him it would be more in keeping with today's viewers? And of course Roger Livesey should be wearing a helmet to be riding that motor-bike legally, and June (Kim Hunter) should be wearing a crop top and displaying a few rubbishy tattoos too .................... and that hairstyle - it's SOOOooo 1940s!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A Canterbury Tale is my favourite of theirs. A lovely summery, magical film.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't agree about the Trial Scene as it is the whole point of the film, the fact it may or may not actually be taking place is of course also the point of the film. Can I presume you don't like fantasy films?

No, I don't - that may be the problem, of course.

Of course it's dated! It's 70 years old!!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant that it was dated in the 1940s, as there'd been quite a few of those films (Heaven Can Wait, Here Comes Mr Jordan, Green Pastures).

As I said, I know I'm out of step with popular opinion on this but it's just not a film that appeals to me in the same way as Colonel Blimp or Canterbury Tale

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No, I don't - that may be the problem, of course.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant that it was dated in the 1940s, as there'd been quite a few of those films (Heaven Can Wait, Here Comes Mr Jordan, Green Pastures).

As I said, I know I'm out of step with popular opinion on this but it's just not a film that appeals to me in the same way as Colonel Blimp or Canterbury Tale

Which is fine - differing opinions are (one of the things) that NSC is about, it's not all abusing Mr Tumble... :wink:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I love Colonel Blimp. Such a romantic and heartfelt film that didn't reek of propaganda, when films of that time of course so often did. At this time i think it would probably rupture a tearduct or two if i saw it. But it has the emotional power to do that out of lockdown too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I love Colonel Blimp. Such a romantic and heartfelt film that didn't reek of propaganda,

And Churchill tried to have it banned for that very reason. It does seem hard to imagine now as it's scarcely anti-British but the idea of a sympathetic German character (even one played by a British-based gay Austrian jew) was anathema then.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
And Churchill tried to have it banned for that very reason. It does seem hard to imagine now as it's scarcely anti-British but the idea of a sympathetic German character (even one played by a British-based gay Austrian jew) was anathema then.

Anton Walbrook did a superb monologue in Colonel Blimp but this is probably even more powerful (49th Parallel from 1941, also Powell & Pressburger of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEpfiER4YY

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A matter of life and death is one of my all time favourites.
The only P&P film I know I have seen is Black Narcissus, which is also a great film.
Used to avidly watch all the old films on BBC2 on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid, so I expect I have also seen some of the others along the way.

Will look them up and add them to my ever growing watchlist.

I suspect

Apr 9, 2020
London

Superb performances from Rogers Livesey in both, I know he was competing with Gielgud and Oliver at the time but how on earth did he not star in more films / become more famous?

You have excellent taste! Brilliant films, especially AMOLAD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here