Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Recession Fashion

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
As I was looking at a pair of jeans that have just worn through and was thinking they needed chucking out, I reminded myself that years ago I would have patched them or turned them into shorts. These days only the most exy jeans are ripped. So I am musing whether or not hand me downs, patched jeans, elbow pads, heck even darning, might, out of necessity, make a comeback. This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but if finances really start to bite who knows.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
original-grid-image-15347-1453473389-1.jpg

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I’m more worried about the shrinkage of my clothes whilst this is going on:eek:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I do remember patching up a pair of jeans with some beer towels that I acquired from the pub. Ahh the memories.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I do remember patching up a pair of jeans with some beer towels that I acquired from the pub. Ahh the memories.

and maybe one on the elbows of a flight jacket . . .not very waterproof.

When I was 16 my levis wore through and my mother moaned at my boxers/arse hanging out . . . I sewed a Henry Wintermnans cigar bar towel across the seat of them :D

I also had a large beach towel made exclusively from 'acquired' bar towels.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
my taste hasn't changed much since I was 14, I have just had my own recessions from time to time over the last 34 years, strangely enough I've just come out of a particularly bad one, so invested in a some decent shirts, lofas and levis stra prest In Dec/Jan. . . It makes a pleasant change from several years of ebay purchases . . .which are hit n miss. Back in the 80's90's the charity shops/jumbles/car boots were brilliant, but 'vintage stores' ruined all that. Fortunately in the last 20 years, anyone with a taste for classic style is well served by reproduction. Whilst a lot of it is crap, there are very good quality options as well, you just need to do your homework. and odd bits do still turn up in charity/vintage stores, but not often.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
my taste hasn't changed much since I was 14, I have just had my own recessions from time to time over the last 34 years, strangely enough I've just come out of a particularly bad one, so invested in a some decent shirts, lofas and levis stra prest In Dec/Jan. . . It makes a pleasant change from several years of ebay purchases . . .which are hit n miss. Back in the 80's90's the charity shops/jumbles/car boots were brilliant, but 'vintage stores' ruined all that. Fortunately in the last 20 years, anyone with a taste for classic style is well served by reproduction. Whilst a lot of it is crap, there are very good quality options as well, you just need to do your homework. and odd bits do still turn up in charity/vintage stores, but not often.

Levi Sta Prest? You are officially an old man now Zef!

I’ve been a Levi man since I was 16 but have never even considered bloody sta prest!

Stayed pressed were brought out for old men to tempt them into jeans in the 70s!

I have some old Levis that have rips in them from wear but have stopped wearing them since my kids suggested that I was trying to “look down with the kids”

Last edited:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

Ah, Sta Prest and Loafers, teamed up with a Fred Perry polo,or Ben Sherman shirt, staple fashion items for a night out at The Top Rank around1969-71!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've been avoiding jeans since I first read about testicular torsion.

I do like the anti-fashion type of fashion though.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Go shorts year-round, the problem with jeans is that the friction of denim on skin while walking burns off the hairs on the backs of your legs; combine that with the limited sun exposure your legs get in jeans and you end up with pasty, hairless pensioner ‘chicken’ legs, which ain’t a great look.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

I remember being able to zip up my jeans. Ahh the memories:lol::lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Levi Sta Prest? You are officially an old man now Zef!

I’ve been a Levi man since I was 16 but have never even considered bloody sta prest!

Stayed pressed were brought out for old men to tempt them into jeans in the 70s!

I have some old Levis that have rips in them from wear but have stopped wearing them since my kids suggested that I was trying to “look down with the kids”

Sta prest vary wildly . . .whilst I'll admit to be rapidly approaching my half century, I'm not wearing nylon or elasticated shit yet, I'm not squeezing into drain pipe ones either, but I refuse to give in to M&S slacks world!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here