Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Firewalls On Newspapers

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Would you pay a flat rate to access all papers?

It would support them all, bring in readers that like to take in all opinions and generally cultivate opinion and support journalism in these difficult times. Why isn’t this being organised by the papers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have signed up to an online version of my regular rag.. Its cheaper than buying the paper version its cheaper.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
How much would you pay though? Have you ever gone out and bought ever newspaper from the newsagent?

Of course I have. Reading news articles is unfortunately, for many people, may be seen as a luxury. We’re fortunate enough to have the BBC to cover most things.

We rightly question everything in the UK. We have a very healthy distrust of the establishment, we love music, history, politics, sport (mainly), art, design, engineering etc. Shouldn’t the access to this be supported?

As far as costs go, limited readerships mean inflated costs. To distribute these costs wider could reduce costs to £10 to £20 a month. Economies of scale. All prints would be distributed further and wider. It would also encourage better journalism.

This doesn’t have to be nationalised after all. Could include New York Times etc. I may speak to a friend about this!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I have signed up to an online version of my regular rag.. Its cheaper than buying the paper version its cheaper.

Where's your mama gone?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

It would support them all, bring in readers that like to take in all opinions and generally cultivate opinion and support journalism in these difficult times. Why isn’t this being organised by the papers?

Brilliant idea! How many people actually do pay an online subscription? 5%, 10% or 20%? And probably only to one rag. I would love to have access to half a dozen varied papers but it would cost too much to do each one individually. But if the industry could come together and offer a ‘bundle’ at one price it would encourage many more people to subscribe. Maybe £30 a month, for 2 x daily (6 days per week), 2 x Sunday and 1 x local (all publications). That would be £360 per year. If three or four times the number of people who currently take one subscription were to join up it would be a massive shot in the arm for journalism.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is surprising that a couple of decades (really?!?) on from the start of the internet revolution, the newspapers have not fixed this yet. the subscription model is usually too much for me to think about to just read a couple of articles, while ads on some sites make them unusable. the whole micro payment thing never took off, even now with crypto currencies which provide an independent mechanism (next to no admin overhead). strange really that journalism is still wedded to the old models of subscription or advertising.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Most of our newspapers are owned by tax-dodging billionaires who have a very similar agenda. Might a better idea be to support those that have different ownership models, that pay their taxes, and promote a diversity of views?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here