Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Charcoal

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fancy a BBQ at the weeekend but have run out of charcoal. Been to Texaco in Hangleton and all sold out. Would prefer lump over those awful little bricks. Anyone know where I can get some locally in or near Hangleton that's actually open ?

For the avoidance of doubt :

1. No gas !!!!
2. It's for household members only
3. No gas !!!!
4. Nextdoor both ways don't mind
5. No gas !!!!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
There's a shortage:

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52289303

For consumers, there could well be periodic shortages to come, says Jody Cleworth, of consultants Marine Transport International.
"In developing nations like South Africa there's an almost complete shutdown in exports, whereby only critical goods are moving through ports. So the seasonal goods we expect in Europe in summer would be limited from such countries.
"For example, charcoal for your summer barbecue. At the moment those containers are not being moved out of South Africa, so they will not be arriving in the UK for their intended dates," he says.

The bulk of our charcoal comes from South Africa

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Fancy a BBQ at the weeekend but have run out of charcoal. Been to Texaco in Hangleton and all sold out. Would prefer lump over those awful little bricks. Anyone know where I can get some locally in or near Hangleton that's actually open ?

1. No gas !!!!
3. No gas !!!!
5. No gas !!!!

You forgot these

6. No women allowed near the grill
7. When people complain of meat being burnt the defence will be " no it's meant to be like that you heathen
8. Delegate the crappy job of scrubbing clean the rack to one of the kids

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Got some delivered from the garden centre a couple of days ago along with some nice bedding plants for my pots n hanging baskets.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Walked past my local butchers in Broadwater yesterday, he had about ten sacks of Sussex charcoal outside this shop. No help to you, I know, but, I haven't seen him selling it before.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There's a shortage:

The garden centres and butchers shops have snapped it all up. :smile:

Got some delivered from the garden centre a couple of days ago along with some nice bedding plants for my pots n hanging baskets.

Walked past my local butchers in Broadwater yesterday, he had about ten sacks of Sussex charcoal outside this shop. No help to you, I know, but, I haven't seen him selling it before.

Barfields Butchers @ 5-ways had some in the shop last weekend.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I went out to find some a couple of weekend’s ago when the weather was nice. Couldn’t find any anywhere, then I inadvertently walked past a Lidl and they had loads of the stuff piled up as you walked in.

That wasn’t in Brighton admittedly, but I guess it’s just not the first place people think of when it comes to buying charcoal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
local metro had bags of it and the disposables, replacing Easter eggs, try there.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ooooooo look who has a garden! Life sounds so hard. :laugh:
Anyone else want to drop things they have? Anyone's Ferrari need new tyres?

Oh bless you Plooks. Still compaining about the bad lot life has dealt you. Tell you what, work hard and climb the work ladder and you be able to afford a garden. Who knows, you might even get 5 stars on your badge. Thank you for your helpful advise as always.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You'll find you'll get better results using peat-free compost. Make sure you WATER LIKE BUGGERY after you've planted them up!

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

1. No gas !!!!
3. No gas !!!!
5. No gas !!!!

Feel free to pop over to mine if you want to pick up some Weber Briquettes. I always have a few spare. PM if you can't find what you are looking for.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

1. No gas !!!!
3. No gas !!!!
5. No gas !!!!

If you’re that desperate to cook outside in the rain this weekend I’ll genuinely lone you my James Martin Whal grill, pm me [emoji106]

c0f13c723eaaa7e2f9e16c18b7f1e560.jpg

You’ll need an extension lead !

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Bought a bag from our butchers this morning, they sell it year round, Sussex made too..

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I started a 'handmade charcoal' business but got my fingers burnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here