Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"The Peak"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been getting annoyed at the repeated talk about the peak. Singular. There's only going to be one peak. Get over that peak, start heading down the other side and things can start to change.

Surely the only way there could be just the one peak is largely keeping the current restrictions in place until such time as there is a vaccine available at scale.

Without serology/antibody testing being available we don't know how many people have had it, ie all those who had very mild cases or were completely asymptomatic, but I've seen nothing credible that suggests this number is going to be particularly high right now.

Any loosening of restrictions will surely see the virus begin to spread again, and result in an upturn of infections, hospitalisations and, sadly, deaths. Now, it may be the case that at those times we ratchet up social restrictions again to throttle the spread to ensure we don't overwhelm the NHS. We then peak again, come down from the peak and have another period of relaxation. Rinse and repeat until a vaccine arrives and/or we just reach the point that so many people have had it, we achieve herd immunity.

I keep meaning to write about this, but didn't get round to it, but have done so having just read the below on the BBC live feed of news items...

UK warned of 'further waves' of infections

Health Secretary Matt Hancock is facing questions from the UK's Health and Social Care Committee about the government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Earlier, Prof Anthony Costello of University College London's Institute for Global Health warned that the UK was "going to face further waves" of infections.

"If we're going to suppress the chain of transmission of this virus in the next stage we all hope that the national lockdown and social distancing will bring about a large suppression of the epidemic so far - but we're going to face further waves," he told the committee at a virtual session.​

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think we have been building all these new hospitals and morgues ready for the real peak which will happen once we release lock down.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think the idea is that by the time you start a gradual release of lockdown measures, enough people have had it already in the population to mean that the momentum has been taken out of the spread and a second wave will not result.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
'Herd immunity' I think means the point where enough people have had it for the virus to die out entirely. We don't need that, we just need enough people to have had it, so that there are significantly less available hosts, and the spread slows significantly. I think Governments envisage that as that scenario evolves, they can also slowly relax lockdown measures, and there won't be second spike / wave, and hospitals will remain below capacity.

Testing and targeted isolation would also help to slow the spread.

Basically, just managing the situation as immunity builds in the population.

Completely with you on this Bozza I just see the peak meaning actual hospital admissions/infections/deaths being the highest in 1 single day as being the peak. Gradually it's slowing up but as u say relaxing any restrictions will presumably the virus will take hold again unless and it's a big unless they think millions of us have had it with only slight or no symptoms and have become immune to it. Is there any conclusive evidence that you would be immune to it yet..?

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
We do now have the opportunity over the next 3 weeks to see what happens in all the countries who are relaxing their lockdown measures. If they continue to see a slowed / reduced spread and no second wave / spike, that suggests that the strategy of managing the situation is one that works, and I guess provides evidence that there is immunity building in the population?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
'Herd immunity' I think means the point where enough people have had it for the virus to die out entirely. We don't need that, we just need enough people to have had it, so that there are significantly less available hosts, and the spread slows significantly. I think Governments envisage that as that scenario evolves, they can also slowly relax lockdown measures, and there won't be second spike / wave, and hospitals will remain below capacity.

There's so many people that I hear, who really should give up the day job, if they have one at the moment - and possibly take up politics...

Targeted isolation = looking up the vulnerable
Shielding = locking up the vulnerable

Just say it, we won't mind

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
graph.jpg

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2018/09/13/the-flu-that-wasnt-spanish/

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

This.......the uk isn’t unique in facing this challenge

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure my use of R0 (how many people each infected person subsequently infects) is technically correct here, but as more and more of a population have had the virus then the R0 of the virus within that population will start to fall as there are less available hosts available for the virus to spread to.

So, as the infected-and-recovered (or infected and didn't even know they had it) percentage of the population increases, there is a greater probability that a newly-infected person meets fewer people susceptible to catching the virus, and that will be a shift that gradually evolves over time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Without serology/antibody testing being available we don't know how many people have had it, ie all those who had very mild cases or were completely asymptomatic, but I've seen nothing credible that suggests this number is going to be particularly high right now.

There seems to be a new study nearly every day that suggests this number will be fairly high - as does the King's College data. Am I missing something?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've been getting annoyed at the repeated talk about the peak. Singular. There's only going to be one peak. Get over that peak, start heading down the other side and things can start to change.

Surely the only way there could be just the one peak is largely keeping the current restrictions in place until such time as there is a vaccine available at scale.

Any loosening of restrictions will surely see the virus begin to spread again, and result in an upturn of infections, hospitalisations and, sadly, deaths. Now, it may be the case that at those times we ratchet up social restrictions again to throttle the spread to ensure we don't overwhelm the NHS. We then peak again, come down from the peak and have another period of relaxation. Rinse and repeat until a vaccine arrives and/or we just reach the point that so many people have had it, we achieve herd immunity.

I keep meaning to write about this, but didn't get round to it, but have done so having just read the below on the BBC live feed of news items...

Health Secretary Matt Hancock is facing questions from the UK's Health and Social Care Committee about the government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Earlier, Prof Anthony Costello of University College London's Institute for Global Health warned that the UK was "going to face further waves" of infections.

"If we're going to suppress the chain of transmission of this virus in the next stage we all hope that the national lockdown and social distancing will bring about a large suppression of the epidemic so far - but we're going to face further waves," he told the committee at a virtual session.​

Well, I don't even like the word peak -- singular or plural. Plateau seems to be what's happened in Italy and Spain.
I've found Anthony Costello to be as good as any commentators on this, and he's certainly got the credentials. That said, reports today suggest that Costello fears there might be eight* peaks/plateaus. If that's the case, it really would have wreaked havoc. The key thing is that we need tests (and then trace, track, isolation -- see South Korea, and WHO guidance) and this is where the government have let us down (alongside "dithering and delaying", and PPE). The more lockdowns we have, and/or the longer the lockdowns, the bigger the economic damage this will cause.
On Costello and those eight peaks, [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] has helpfully provided a chart for Spanish flu (which actually emanated from Kansas) which shows three peaks/plateaus (or that's how I'm reading it).

* I'm not sure if he actually indicated eight, or up to eight

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’ve seen studies from Iceland and Italy that suggests 50-80%.

Seems almost too good to be true, but it’s been repeated several times over.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What are you deeming "fairly high"?

Well the King's College app suggests 2 million had it at once on ~8th April. I don't think they've given a figure for the whole period yet (since the end of Jan), but it would be many more millions.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your general point and clearly antibody testing needs to be done to find out if this is the case.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well the King's College app suggests 2 million had it at once on ~8th April. I don't think they've given a figure for the whole period yet (since the end of Jan), but it would be many more million.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your general point and clearly antibody testing needs to be done to find out if this is the case.

2m, if correct, is tiny. That would mean 64m (or 97%) of the population would still be susceptible, which ties in perfectly with this, also from today:

Costello had earlier suggested the UK may face eight to 10 waves of the virus before herd immunity is possible, citing a study of Dutch blood donors suggesting only three per cent of the country has developed meaningful immunity.​

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

100% as was described by Chris Whitty at the outset as the Hammer and Dance methodology:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

And the only reasonable way out of this but clearly takes time. Personally this is why I’m not planning on being back in the office or freely/normally attending things like football matches for at least a year if they keep following scientific advice.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm not sure my use of R0 (how many people each infected person subsequently infects) is technically correct here, but as more and more of a population have had the virus then the R0 of the virus within that population will start to fall as there are less available hosts available for the virus to spread to.

So, as the infected-and-recovered (or infected and didn't even know they had it) percentage of the population increases, there is a greater probability that a newly-infected person meets fewer people susceptible to catching the virus, and that will be a shift that gradually evolves over time.

The problem with a novel virus is that herd immunity only works if the virus doesn’t mutate.

There is some evidence of people in Asia having contracted it twice suggesting a new mutation or that one of the known strains can re-infect people which of course would be worrying if they fully released lockdown.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nobody knows anything about 'The Peak'. Plenty of good guesses, some more educated than others. Especially those how have made a career out of it. But, to repeat, nobody knows anything about 'The Peak'. Plenty of wishful thinking going on though. Which is only human nature. Simple rule of thumb? Take your steer from Donald Trump - then do the opposite :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem with a novel virus is that herd immunity only works if the virus doesn’t mutate.

There is some evidence of people in Asia having contracted it twice suggesting a new mutation or that one of the known strains can re-infect people which of course would be worrying if they fully released lockdown.

I've posted about this before and I can't be bothered to go and find it again, but there still seems to be confidence that this is a result of either:

- Incorrect test results
- The virus laying dormant in someone and reactivating later (something I believe is relatively common with other viruses)

In the case of the second possibility, the belief is that people are not infectious at that point.

Fingers crossed though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here