Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Norman Hunter

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
RIP Norman, a proper defender who took you if he couldnt get the ball, one of the real hard men along with Chopper Harris and Tommy Smith

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
he'd snap their legs in two, no messing.
the worst news. i only talked to him about 3 weeks ago and he was in fine fettle. bite yer legs, rest easy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One of my favourite players, back when I followed Dirty.

RIP :down:

Edit, that Franny Lee incident was a disgrace, though. Like the Giles and Keegan incident, it looked like it started with a coward's punch (delivered with no preamble when the victim wasn't even looking).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A part of the great Leeds team of the 70s that probably didn't get the full praise they deserved.

You could almost guarantee that if the opposition kicked off, either Hunter or Charlton would commit a foul within 30 seconds to see how the referee would react.

RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Norman. He battled bravely but I heard last night that he was now seriously ill.

PS, leave the factional infighting out please, a man has died, some may not have liked him but he was a hero to many and, no doubt, much loved by his family.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
RIP yes, another victim.
But don't give me this hard defender stuff, he was a classless thug with a dreadful reputation.
It was because of him, Bremner, Giles (and their gobshite fans) and many more of the squad in that era that people dislike Leeds today and still want them to fail and laugh when they continue to do so, including me.
It was an era of hard defenders and Hunter was not the only thug but they didn't all try to take your legs off and punch other players.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Last Leg Bitten...

Wonder how many of that Team are still alive?
enough of them. been our centenary season so they have been back together recently.

dave harvey, terry cooper, paul reaney, sniffer clarke, pete lorimer
and of course johnny giles and eddie gray who will be devastated today.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Really sad to hear this news. Great player.

But please don't mention Harris in the same breath as Norman. He was a talentless thug.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
RIP yes, another victim.
But don't give me this hard defender stuff, he was a classless thug with a dreadful reputation.
It was because of him, Bremner, Giles (and their gobshite fans) and many more of the squad in that era that people dislike Leeds today and still want them to fail and laugh when they continue to do so, including me.
It was an era of hard defenders and Hunter was not the only thug but they didn't all try to take your legs off and punch other players.

only because they couldn't. he was a gem of man.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I found one of 'that' photo that isn't copyrighted.

Leeds-1972-300x180.jpg

He was a World Cup 66 squad member too, he played at Euro 68 when we finished 3rd and came on against West Germany for Martin Peters with 9 minutes to go when we were 2-1 up in Leon in in the 1970 World Cup and you know what followed and he played at Wembley against that Polish 'clown' in 1973 too, when he trod on the ball for Poland's goal. He was a big part of football history.

RIP.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Norman Hunter bites your legs off was a well used discription of his style it was also said if you were tackled by him you would not get up again in a hurry RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
???
Explain yourself.

I have on numerous occasions. Here we go again....

When I was eleven, in 1969, every boy in my class 'followed' a first division side, even though we went to the Goldstone. We all carried our homework in little club sports bags bought from Woolworth. This coincided with most of us being allowed to watch MOTD for the first time (a massive step up from Southern Soccer and The Big Match). The first division was evidently 'proper' football. My dad too me and my middle brother to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea Leeds in front of a 63,000 crowd around 1970. My middle brother is still primarily a Chelsea supporter. My youngest brother, caught up in all this as a 7 year old is still a Dirty fan :mad:

I never saw Brighton on TV till that famous third division game against Villa (which started an episode of MOTD!) where Willy Irvine scored. Brighton were small and the very idea of us competing with the big boys seemed absurd then. Dawson, Irvine, Beamish.....no. So we all followed a first division side. It wasn't till Bamber transformed the club's ambitions from 72 to 74 that I realised I cared more about The Albion than Leeds, so you could call me a glory-hunting jcl :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here