Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] PGA to recommence on June 8th (was mid-May) with no spectators

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From CNN...

The PGA Tour has announced that the professional golf tour will start tournament play again starting June 8.

On Thursday, the PGA Tour unveiled a new schedule modifications for the 2019-2020 season which was postponed in March due to Covid-19 pandemic. Within the announcement, the PGA stated that the first four tournaments of the revised schedule will be held without spectators.

“For health and safety reasons due to Covid-19, today’s announcement delays that timeline three weeks – to June 8, starting with the Charles Schwab Challenge – with additional tournaments being repositioned between then and the season’s conclusion, which is the Tour Championship, ending on Labor Day (September 7),” the PGA said in a press release.

Some context: The PGA Tour had previously aimed to restart the season during the of May 18 – 24, which were the initial dates for the Charles Schwab Challenge. That event was canceled due to the Players Championship being canceled on March 12 amid health safety concerns.

With the new adjustments, the season now consist of 36 events, including three FedExCup Playoffs events concluding with the Tour Championship over Labor Day weekend, where the 2020 FedExCup Champion will be crowned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank f**k for that. Will be great to have live sport back. Hopefully they'll reschedule the masters soon.

That's currently penciled in for late October early November.

They wouldn't even entertain the idea of playing it without fans, there's too much money involved for the surrounding area.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It won't happen. They can announce what they like but deadlines come and deadlines go if the virus is still active.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unfortunately, in The States the President and the right wing electorate/politicians will make it happen, lockdown ending far sooner than the PGA’s date.

Doubt it. He could try but a lot of governors would say "no way anti-José, not in our state".

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Not into golf but idly reading the thread thought, fair enough, if we're allowed out for a walk, why not hit a little ball around a park while you're at it.

But also!

starting with the Charles Schwab Challenge

Really?? :lol:

Love it. Looking forward to the Thomas Facemask Trophy coming up too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
They wouldn't even entertain the idea of playing it without fans, there's too much money involved for the surrounding area.

And American golf just wouldn’t be the same without hordes of gammon-faced Chuck Wiener III Jrs bellowing “geddin da hole” after every shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And American golf just wouldn’t be the same without hordes of gammon-faced Chuck Wiener III Jrs bellowing “geddin da hole” after every shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so much, if at all at Augusta.
Sure absolutely everywhere else, but not The Masters.

You're not even allowed mobile phones on the course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm in two minds.

Golf (on the course) is easily doable behind closed doors and with social distancing. And we're talking about JUNE so no one really knows what the state of play will be then. President Dump will have found a way to open up the US by then anyway. And it will be good to have something live to watch, even better stateside as it will be on in the evening here. Betting comes back. On the other hand....

Golf (the massive PGA version) is a rolling, bloated circus with sponsors, TV, caddies, journalists at the very least needed, even for behind closed doors. And in what hotel would they stay? Foreigners allowed? And it's only JUNE. No way there'll be a vaccine by then and the virus won't just **** off. The State Governors will have found a way to block Trump and possibly impeach him (again). And by then we'll all be used to live TV via Zoom and weekly home games on Pokerstars.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
All in the desperate pursuit of money.
Just watching the NHS Stay Home advert.
Anyone can get it, anyone can spread it. Don't go out unless it's absolutely necessary. Coronavirus is a medical emergency.
Golfers should be OK though. I think I'll book a four-ball, there won't be any spectators.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just when I thought I'd been gifted a few months of golf-free TV at home :rolleyes:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Can't see it happening in June but with the Yanks desperate to open up you never know. There surely wont be any flights from Europe into the States by then for those European players who are on the Tour.

European Tour aren't planning to start until the end of July at the earliest.

Certainly missing playing golf:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here