Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Capacity Reduction, should Social Distancing continue...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With the discussion today in the news surrounding amongst other things the likely continuation of 'Social Distancing' for many months (how long is a piece of string), how many seats would we lose at the Amex next season in order to have some fans at games, but not to contravene the 2 meter policy?

Looking to next season would 5 or 6 seats be lost for every 1 sat in by a fan?

Could a reduced crowd be practical or would it just be simpler to play to empty stadiums until such time as the authorities sanction large mass gatherings? or would even the practicalities of getting just a few thousand to games be impractical?

With many concerts in the summer in July and August now being cancelled I'd rather see the opportunity of some fans being able to attend and be suitably spaced out (no pun intended) for next seasons first few months, rather than matches just being played behind closed doors.

Stupid idea maybe, but I just can't bear the thought of next season starting to completely empty stadiums.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You may be surprised by news to be released regarding the PL this season - expected before too long.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The problem is a football game is still going to be a place where saliva is spread massively by people shouting and chanting. Yet another thing we've given so little thought to ever before.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
With the discussion today in the news surrounding amongst other things the likely continuation of 'Social Distancing' for many months (how long is a piece of string), how many seats would we lose at the Amex next season in order to have some fans at games, but not to contravene the 2 meter policy?

Could a reduced crowd be practical or would it just be simpler to play to empty stadiums until such time as the authorities sanction large mass gatherings? or would even the practicalities of getting just a few thousand to games be impractical?

With many concerts in the summer in July and August now being cancelled I'd rather see the opportunity of some fans being able to attend and be suitably spaced out (no pun intended) for next seasons first few months, rather than matches just being played behind closed doors.

Stupid idea maybe, but I just can't bear the thought of next season starting to completely empty stadiums.

Spacing within the stadium is not the issue really. The issue is that you will still have thousands of people travelling to a venue, queuing for trains etc all trying to keep 2m away from each other. That is hard enough with 100 people trying to get into a supermarket - multiply that by a factor of 50 and you can see that it would be practically impossible to manage.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think it could be possible to get a 5k capacity, but concourse queuing could also be a problem.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

how would you choose the fans who attend, and then get the 5,000 fans there + the associated people required [trains running / buses / catering / media / security and medical teams etc] at a time we are all being told to stay at home my view would be just that. Wait until it is safe to open the stadium for everyone to attend,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You may be surprised by news to be released regarding the PL this season - expected before too long.

30th June 'hard stop' to the season is being lobbied for from what I've read.................to get games finished, means they'll have to start mid May - I guess there's an outside chance of a sufficient relaxation of lockdown to make that technically possible behind closed doors, but with all the variables, and the moral stance to consider, sounds pretty unlikely to be achieved. Bigwigs meeting on Friday but unlikely they'll confirm anything as they really need to wait for UEFA proposals which aren't expected until Mid May..........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9316575 said:
Just kick off in the 80th minute, problem solved. :wink:

Taking care not to allow people who leave on the 80th minute in of course

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here