Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Primary school offer day

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Anyone else going through this today? I guess I shouldn't be concerned as all the schools round here are good, it's just the novelty.

I was told that the offers usually come just after midnight but still waiting for ours - I guess with the current situation etc.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Had ours this morning after a slight hiccup. They seem to have sent 2, the first seemingly an error. (West Sussex area)

My grandson Freddie goes to Bolnore in Haywards Heath. His younger brother Jude starts school in September and there was concern he wouldn't get in to Bolnore which would have either meant either having two young boys at different schools or Freddie moving schools.

But I just heard that Jude has got a place in Bolnore so a great start to the day :clap2::clap2:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes. Not logged in yet. Numbers for new pupils in Brighton & Hove have declined fast recently (which I blame on a lack of affordable family housing in the City). Most should get their 1st choice.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My grandson Freddie goes to Bolnore in Haywards Heath. His younger brother Jude starts school in September and there was concern he wouldn't get in to Bolnore which would have either meant either having two young boys at different schools or Freddie moving schools.

But I just heard that Jude has got a place in Bolnore so a great start to the day :clap2::clap2:

Great name too, I'm a big Thomas Hardy fan.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Yep, found out this morning that little'un got her first school she/we wanted. Never felt so grown up in my life celebrating a school placement!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes. Not logged in yet. Numbers for new pupils in Brighton & Hove have declined fast recently (which I blame on a lack of affordable family housing in the City). Most should get their 1st choice.

No, you can blame incompetence in the strategic long term planning of primary school places instead of pandering to political demands to expand certain schools or open new ones when birth data told you we had a couple of bulge years then a decline in numbers. This was not unknown data.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No, you can blame incompetence in the strategic long term planning of primary school places instead of pandering to political demands to expand certain schools or open new ones when birth data told you we had a couple of bulge years then a decline in numbers. This was not unknown data.

You’re referring mostly to Hove there I think? Mistakes have certainly been made, I wonder if they’ll close or reduce any of those schools now?

But primary school places seem healthy in areas such as Seaford and Newhaven where ex-Brightonians, starting families, have moved to because of the affordable rental costs or house prices.

The Council’s strategic directions on HMO’s should help this issue over the coming years.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

What is the cause of the decline in birth rate in Brighton and Hove though?

Is it enforced celibacy, or more a combination of an increase of buy to let properties, HMOs for students and house prices making it difficult for families to live in the catchment areas of these schools?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is the cause of the decline in birth rate in Brighton and Hove though?

Is it enforced celibacy, or more a combination of an increase of buy to let properties, HMOs for students and house prices making it difficult for families to live in the catchment areas of these schools?

To my understanding, it hasn't actually been a decline in birthrate. We just had a few bulge years rather than subsequent decline.

edit that...probably is more of a trend in line nationally. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/birthsummarytablesenglandandwales/2018?hootPostID=2a920aede9bdac9a7bd1ac3348e4f647#regional-and-local-level-fertility-rates-vary

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Agree with this. I was saying this would happen 15 years ago when I started to realise that I never would be able to afford to buy a house there. It was/is one of the youngest city populations in the country but I think the average age will rise sharply. I imagine places like Newhaven and Worthing, on the other hand, will have great demand for school places in the coming years.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree with this. I was saying this would happen 15 years ago when I started to realise that I never would be able to afford to buy a house there. It was/is one of the youngest city populations in the country but I think the average age will rise sharply. I imagine places like Newhaven and Worthing, on the other hand, will have great demand for school places in the coming years.

You might think that, but more affordable places to live like Portslade, Mile Oak, Hangleton have as big a surplus of places as anywhere in the city.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You might think that, but more affordable places to live like Portslade, Mile Oak, Hangleton have as big a surplus of places as anywhere in the city.

Nowhere in the city is remotely affordable for first time buyers unless they have large inheritence or are very highly paid (and they weren't seven years ago when we were looking).

All of my friends from Brighton have bought in either Worthing, Burgess Hill or Newhaven.

There are no 3-bed homes in any of those areas under £300,000!

This is the second cheapest 3-bed home in Mile Oak: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-89495249.html

A couple would need a £50,000 deposit and to earn £50,000 each within minimal expenses (e.g. childcare) to afford this.

Just by way of comparison we now live in one of the nicest parts of Leeds and a similar house would be ~half the price: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-88712864.html

My boss lives in a reasonably nice part of Pontefract and there you're looking about half again :lol: Look at this for a massive newbuild: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67626351.html

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here