Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People who have impressed/surprised you so far through this crisis (and who's been crap)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So, anyone who's been impressive in your opinion. Particularly someone who you previously thought was completely useless. Doesn't just have to be politicians but.....

Matt Hancock.

Always saw him as a wet lettuce of a man, completely unsuited to his role.

He has, as they say, stepped up to the plate. The most statesmanlike of the government ministers when delivering the daily briefings and has tried to answer questions as simply and honestly as possible under immense pressure.

Especially liked his answer when a reporter quoted Trump talking about the UK "Well, that is just complete rubbish....".

Up with this sort of thing.

And who's been completely shithouse, apart from Trump as that's a given and he has his own thread (well two threads as he's featuring heavily in the "C**" list"). This isn't about utter *****, just those who have been deeply unimpressive.

Priti Patel

Who has just proved exactly what I've always thought about her. Think as mince and a horrible, horrible person. I still have no idea how she has risen to where she is. I wouldn't trust her to look after my cat for an hour. Even if he was out at the time.

One shot each. Fill yet boots.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Those daily briefings are a complete shitshow. There's more value in an episode of "Would I Lie To You?" as at least some of the stories they tell on there are actually true. Today Hancock denied he had promised 25,000 tests per day by this stage. Which is odd given that on the 18th March he promised it would be happening within 4 weeks.

As to who's impressed me, it's been the public at large. After the last few days before lockdown I thought it wouldn't last five minutes but it's actually gone really well. How that lasts when we get to June or beyond I'm not sure, but for now it's a big thumbs up to all of us as it's newsworthy when someone does break the rules.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed. Piers Morgan has been very impressive, which is a total surprise to me.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The Chancellor is a very impressive individual,,to the point,doesn’t try and sugar coat and on the whole does not tolerate stupid questions from idiots like Peston and Kuensberg, those two inadequates have shown themselves to be the two bob hacks that they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
So, anyone who's been impressive in your opinion. Particularly someone who you previously thought was completely useless. Doesn't just have to be politicians but.....

Matt Hancock.

Always saw him as a wet lettuce of a man, completely unsuited to his role.

He has, as they say, stepped up to the plate. The most statesmanlike of the government ministers when delivering the daily briefings and has tried to answer questions as simply and honestly as possible under immense pressure.

Especially liked his answer when a reporter quoted Trump talking about the UK "Well, that is just complete rubbish....".

Up with this sort of thing.

And who's been completely shithouse, apart from Trump as that's a given and he has his own thread (well two threads as he's featuring heavily in the "C**" list"). This isn't about utter *****, just those who have been deeply unimpressive.

Priti Patel

Who has just proved exactly what I've always thought about her. Think as mince and a horrible, horrible person. I still have no idea how she has risen to where she is. I wouldn't trust her to look after my cat for an hour. Even if he was out at the time.

One shot each. Fill yet boots.

I'm with you on Hancock, certainly gone up in my eyes.

Deeply unimpressed with Raab, seems completely out of his depth and uncomfortable in the glare of the media. I guess Boris didn't want anyone with the potential to upstage him as his stand-in.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Rishi Sunak for me, wouldn’t mind him as the next PM

Raab - Raabit in the headlights

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I'm with you on Hancock, certainly gone up in my eyes.

Deeply unimpressed with Raab, seems completely out of his depth and uncomfortable in the glare of the media. I guess Boris didn't want anyone with the potential to upstage him as his stand-in.

Spot on well done!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Priti Patel

Who has just proved exactly what I've always thought about her. Think as mince and a horrible, horrible person.
I agree with you. But just how does mince think?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Sadiq Kahan, what a useless piece of pooh.
As others have said very impressed with Rishik Sunak

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Those daily briefings are a complete shitshow. There's more value in an episode of "Would I Lie To You?" as at least some of the stories they tell on there are actually true. Today Hancock denied he had promised 25,000 tests per day by this stage. Which is odd given that on the 18th March he promised it would be happening within 4 weeks.

As to who's impressed me, it's been the public at large. After the last few days before lockdown I thought it wouldn't last five minutes but it's actually gone really well. How that lasts when we get to June or beyond I'm not sure, but for now it's a big thumbs up to all of us as it's newsworthy when someone does break the rules.

Appropriate for the denial of the original 'herd immunity' policy which would have over-ran the health service.

The international press seemed to think that the UK was going alone.

Johnson seemed to suggest it as an idea.

Patrick Vallance more or less confirmed it in mid-March.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Indeed. Piers Morgan has been very impressive, which is a total surprise to me.

Never forgiven this piece of filth.
3b9760d03c4c614c73dae936e50d2dcd.jpg

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have been very impressed with all of the politicians. Very difficult to report every day which I dont think is needed. Every 4 days would be enough. Not impressed with questions after. So often similar and trying to catch them out. Tnis Morning coverage a joke when asking opinions of Janet Street Porter and Mathew Wright.. Wright said we were lacking leadership when PM in hospital and even suggested he could give instructions on coming out of lockdown by shaking or nodding his head.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Public at large pre lockdown not so impressive though. The panic buying was just so indicative of a feck anyone else attitude.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Really impressed with Alex Jones off The One Show. And Loius Tomlinson for suggesting One Direction might be betting back together, a masterstroke in these dark days.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jeremy Hunt has surprised me - he's extremely well informed and has been an impressive interviewee. I can see why people say Sunak - although it's easy to impress people when you're giving away money. I was also impressed by Maria Caulfield going back to the NHS, closely followed by Rosena Allin-Khan - they didn't have to do that. I note that Liam Fox didn't, probably no money to be made. I think Jon Ashworth has made a good fist of the shadow position, supportive but critical too.

Plenty of useless people: Patel has looked badly out of her depth - how on earth is she a cabinet minister, let alone a senior one? Johnson has been dreadful - but that was expected.

The performance of ITV and BBC reporters has been shockingly bad (and yet Sopel seems pretty good when he's faced with Trump)

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I remember the generosity of that loveable rogue, Wilf, impressing and unsettling in equal measure plenty of Albion supporters on here - getting in there early doors to demonstrate footballers are capable of doing the right thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here