Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle sold for £300m,valuing us at ?

Am assuming we wouldn't be more than them, perhaps a little bit less

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sold. Closer to being sold.

A DULLARD writes (on the BBC)

"The trouble with Mike Ashley is that until you see the final documents, it's never completed but the other parties would not waste their time like this unless there had been progress in terms of a takeover."

I expect the same DULLARD could value us pretty easily.

Apart from that, great thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52284645

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I reckon a lot more, as we are a very well run club, with some very valuable assets.

They have a 50k+ stadium which is (usually) filled and have on paper at least a more valuable squad of players. They are a bigger club than BHA.

Their owner might be a piece of filth, but he has largely kept that club in the top flight without breaking the bank - they have made a profit in 7 of the last 8 seasons, which you certainly can't say about us.

I'd say they are worth significantly more.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not sold. Closer to being sold.

A DULLARD writes (on the BBC)

"The trouble with Mike Ashley is that until you see the final documents, it's never completed but the other parties would not waste their time like this unless there had been progress in terms of a takeover."

I expect the same DULLARD could value us pretty easily.

Apart from that, great thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52284645
Is there an echo in here?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Newcastle is far more internationally recognized as a "brand", bigger stadium (though owned by the city) etc, think they got the higer price tag (not that I think Bloom would sell the club for £300m).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
They have a 50k+ stadium which is (usually) filled and have on paper at least a more valuable squad of players. They are a bigger club than BHA.

Their owner might be a piece of filth, but he has largely kept that club in the top flight without breaking the bank - they have made a profit in 7 of the last 8 seasons, which you certainly can't say about us.

I'd imagine we would come in at around the £200 - 225m mark. which considering everything that TB has stumped up for the stadium, training ground, and 3 seasons of around £60m each summer is a little disappointing. But only a fool goes into football ownership in an attempt to make money

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I reckon a lot more, as we are a very well run club, with some very valuable assets.

And a much smaller ground, much smaller fan base and much lower potential ceiling of achievement.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Am assuming we wouldn't be more than them, perhaps a little bit less

With our debts, annual losses and potential turnover if we drop down a division I'd honestly be surprised if we'd be valued much more than 50 million.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The population of Newcastle is lower than Brighton, and we have a huge catchment area just like they do. They might have a moderately higher fanbase right now because of their history in the top flight, but it's not overly significant surely... and over time we easily have the potential to exceed theirs, with a more affluent population too.

In addition, in terms of material assets, we have a state of the art training ground and stadium in the South. Land value is surely a lot higher than theirs.

We would surely be a better investment and thus worth more money, if thinking surely from a business perspective. You are right though that our relatively low ground capacity limits our potential.

You’re talking shite.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Valuations discussed here >>> https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-%A3210m-worth-%A3700m-within-5-years-a-steal

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 22.15.26.png

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The population of Newcastle is lower than Brighton, and we have a huge catchment area just like they do. They might have a moderately higher fanbase right now because of their history in the top flight, but it's not overly significant surely... and over time we easily have the potential to exceed theirs, with a more affluent population too.

In addition, in terms of material assets, we have a state of the art training ground and stadium in the South. Land value is surely a lot higher than theirs.

We would surely be a better investment and thus worth more money, if thinking surely from a business perspective. You are right though that our relatively low ground capacity limits our potential.

We will never get 50,000 a week. The state of art training ground we have could be replicated or improved by Newcastle if they chose to invest that way.

Newcastle are a much bigger club and a bigger name.

That is fact.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How many brain cells did it take you to come up with this reply. I'm guessing your full capacity :drool:

He is still right though.

Population of Newcastle that would spend money on going to a match, buy a shirt, etc. is far larger, and more loyal. The value that you perceive in being a well run club, could all be lost in any sale, dependent on new owners ability to run a football club.

Not just that but look at their new owners, the Saudi sovereign wealth fund. Tonight, Newcastle may now conceivably be the richest club in the world in the deep pockets the owners have in chucking money at players. They could well be out of sight of us pretty soon in terms of comparison.

Ashley may indeed be a piece of work (he's got an extra 50 mill for refusing to sell last year) but wow how do you compare that to the new guys? MBS, slain journalists and general industrial scale chopping. Bittersweet moment if you are a Geordie fan with some kind of broad moral compass.

One aspect of owning football clubs is alas reputation laundering. The Saudis now will use football for this as they've seen it can work by looking at the owners of other clubs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not just that but look at their new owners, the Saudi sovereign wealth fund. Tonight, Newcastle may now conceivably be the richest club in the world in the deep pockets the owners have in chucking money at players. They could well be out of sight of us pretty soon in terms of comparison.

Ashley may indeed be a piece of work (he's got an extra 50 mill for refusing to sell last year) but wow how do you compare that to the new guys? MBS, slain journalists and general industrial scale chopping. Bittersweet moment if you are a Geordie fan with some kind of broad moral compass.

One aspect of owning football clubs is alas reputation laundering. The Saudis now will use football for this as they've seen it can work by looking at the owners of other clubs.

The Saudi's are an abomination with their medieval regime, beliefs and practices. Their cynical project to "sportwash" themselves into western society to present an acceptable face to their nation is frankly sickening.

But as far as this deal goes, lets not jump the gun. NUFC have been on the "brink" of being sold more often than Klopp runs out of toothpaste. Something always comes up to scupper the deal, usually Mike Ashley wrangling over the valuation by £50m or so.

Its been said before - when these megadeals actually go through, the first you usually hear about it is when its already ALL done and dusted (a-la Chelsea and Man City). If this doris Stavely is fronting an arab consortium with infinite wealth, and they REALLY want to buy the club, then why would they piss about wrangling over paying £300m instead of £350m ? Its peanuts to them. Its not even a Christian Pulisic.

I'll file this latest deal-in-waiting under "believe it when I see it".

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

The population of the cities may be similar, with Brighton & Hove slightly higher but Newcastle is part of a huge urban area (Shared with Sunderland of course- do you think that the urban area that Brighton & Hove is in could sustain two clubs of that size?). Newcastle get support from Newcastle itself (pretty much exclusive), the rest of the Tyne & Wear area (shared), County Durham (shared with Sunderland and Middlesbrough and a few Yorkshire clubs), Northumberland (pretty much exclusively) and even parts of Cumbria. Newcastle also has a much higher percentage of people living there who are from the area, with Brighton attracting a lot of people from elsewhere (although some do convert of course) so comparing Newcastle and Brighton, Newcastle would have a lot more fans actually living in the city than Brighton. People are less likely to move to Newcastle than Brighton as there are much fewer job opportunities/commuting potential. Having lived in both cities I can tell you that people are just a lot more "into" football up there- it just seems to be something ingrained in them from an early age that if you're from Newcastle then you like football, and guess what? You support Newcastle

there's very little chance of Brighton ever replicating the crowds that Newcastle get

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here