Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welsh hospital using blood transfusions from recovered patients to treat new cases

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-transfusion-wales-cardiff-18087216

Wales' biggest hospital has become the first in the UK to use a potentially groundbreaking "antibody transfusion" treatment on coronavirus patients.

The treatment being carried out on patients at the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) in Cardiff uses the blood plasma taken from people who have already recovered from Covid-19.

Their plasma is then transfused into other patients with the coronavirus to help them fight the infection more quickly.

It's worth a try.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who would have thought that instead of Matt Hancock, the inspiration for the first treatment would come from Tony Hancock? ???

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I wonder how much blood you need to effectively immunise someone? Will a pint do or is it a complete transfusion?

Mikey_Barcelona

Mar 8, 2020
This is used all over Europe, on a small scale. I think it can become one of the standard treatments in the upcoming months.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder how much blood you need to effectively immunise someone? Will a pint do or is it a complete transfusion?

This is NOT immunisation. This is taking the thing that your body makes when you are immune (an antibody) out of your blood and giving it to someone else. If it attacks the virus it may bide you time to start making your own antibody to fight the bugger off. If you are lucky it may kill all the virus itself (my guess is this would be unlikely).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here