Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RN SSBN Bomber Patrols

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sort of defeats the object of secrecy if a bomber goes down the Suez Canal and all that entails..
They usually go the long way round.

Your quite right, a bomber wouldn’t transit the Suez Canal but our SSN’s do.

I was watching a doc. the other day which followed HMS Turbulent on deployment and she went through the Suez obviously surfaced.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I always thought that the bombers just stayed in the North Atlantic/ Artic Ocean, a lot more sea there to hide in, because their main job depends on them being invisible until they press the big red button.
Also, less missile flight time to, shall we say, their main target.

I also seem to remember, that going back about 15 years, that we had detected an American bomber, and had even followed quite a few Russian bombers, but, nobody had ever detected one of our SSBNs.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I always thought that the bombers just stayed in the North Atlantic/ Artic Ocean, a lot more sea there to hide in, because their main job depends on them being invisible until they press the big red button.
Also, less missile flight time to, shall we say, their main target.

I also seem to remember, that going back about 15 years, that we had detected an American bomber, and had even followed quite a few Russian bombers, but, nobody had ever detected one of our SSBNs.

What ship were you on?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
In 1974, the US SSBN James Madison was leaving its base at Holy Loch when it collided with a Soviet sub which was waiting to trail it into the Atlantic. Bit awkward.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
We always knew where the Russian subs were. I was at Northwood for a short while, and whilst handing signals through an open door into massive room with giant screen deep, deep underground saw them marked on a wall to wall screen.
The west laid undersea cables that detected them when they passed them.
My 2nd ship was Lowesoft, a sub 'hunter'. We never 'hunted' anything. We were directed to them by London (Northwood)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We always knew where the Russian subs were. I was at Northwood for a short while, and whilst handing signals through an open door into massive room with giant screen deep, deep underground saw them marked on a wall to wall screen.
The west laid undersea cables that detected them when they passed them.
My 2nd ship was Lowesoft, a sub 'hunter'. We never 'hunted' anything. We were directed to them by London (Northwood)

b86c3102810bfc49cde7e3da0a98f560.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I use’we’ as a collective of the RN, not just ships I served on.

I was on Yarmouth, Rothesay,Berwick, Edinburgh, and the Ark( last one)

And a couple of short term loan drafts, Phobie, and Rhyll.

When were you on the Phoebe?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1980, I only did 3 weeks, off shore patrol.

Ah ok. My ex served on her 66-68, and several of the ROs, on that commission, were drafted to where I was based so I knew/worked with four or five of them.

Of course, she was also 'HMS Hero' in the series Warship, in the 70s.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
You are quite correct the USN do call them Boomers, however as the the thread title suggests we are discussing RN boats and in the Royal Navy they are known as Bombers.

428dafc1f1692cd51675cfc28cdb6c7e.jpg

I stand corrected. Shame on me for missing it was referring to the Senior Service. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here