Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs reverse furlough decision

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tottenham have reversed their decision to use the government's furlough scheme for some non-playing staff during the coronavirus crisis following criticism from supporters.

On 31 March, the club announced 550 employees would take a 20% pay cut in an attempt "to protect jobs".

But on Monday, a Spurs statement said non-playing staff will receive "100% of their pay for April and May".

Only board members will now take salary reductions, the statement added.

That includes chairman Daniel Levy, who earned £7m last year.

Levy said: "We regret any concern caused during an anxious time and hope the work our supporters will see us doing in the coming weeks, as our stadium takes on a whole new purpose, will make them proud of their club."

MORE >>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52271235

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Good for them if they can afford it. It's going to be interesting to see how many can't.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Think it’s important to bear in mind , there’s a huge difference financially from the top 6 or 7 established big clubs and everyone else . Yes we are premier league but we are not a global brand , are highly unlikely to ever be one and can’t compete financially . It’s only because we have an extremely successful & clever owner that we can compete at all .

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Good... Made me disgusted to a Spurs fan... still can't get over the fact that they tried it on though... Levy is a ****

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unlike a lot of business Prem football will def have same income stream when it restarts. With 20/25 staff having incomes of £30k plus a week it will be immoral if any club takes tax payers money to pay staff. The scheme was put in place in a hurry to help business survive. I think there would be uproar if club asks government to pay staff and then buys players for £10/20m

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How much does the new Spurs stadium cost?
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Construction
Opened 3 April 2019
Construction cost £1 billion (entire project)

Beggars belief they did it in the first place .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How much does the new Spurs stadium cost?
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Construction
Opened 3 April 2019
Construction cost £1 billion (entire project)

Beggars belief they did it in the first place .
This.

Excuse me for being underwhelmed by this. The very fact they furloughed these people in the first place tells us all we need to know. They only reversed the decision because thousands of people told them what they were doing was immoral. Same goes for the bin dippers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Meanwhile, Norwich have defended their stance by saying you could count the number of staff they have Furloughed on the fingers of one hand.

3 groundstafff and 4 people from the office.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So they should. Now await Bmuff Narwich and the Toon to follow suit
Newcastle, ain't going to happen.

Norwich - I might have given them a pass, I don't know enough about their finances to assume it's blatant profiteering.
Then they sign a player - It might be meaningless but the optics are pure shitehouse.

Bournemouth - Pure shitehouseary.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Norwich - I might have given them a pass, I don't know enough about their finances to assume it's blatant profiteering.
Then they sign a player - It might be meaningless but the optics are pure shitehouse.

networth.jpg

networth2.jpg

As I've said before... Norwich are obviously very immoral since their owners havent had the good taste to get über rich. They are the enemies of society. PL should force them to either get rich or **** off. Maybe if they start paying their employees Walmart wages like Kroenke, or have slaves carry property building like the City owners. Perhaps make a few hundred million pounds off online gambling addicts, there will be plenty of them now in economically difficult times - better get their borrowed money before they jump in the ocean.

But for now, they dont have the same type of resources as other owners so its understandable they do what they do, despite their ugly "not being a billionaire" tendencies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They still deserve to be mentioned in the ***** thread for even thinking of the idea

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This.

Excuse me for being underwhelmed by this. The very fact they furloughed these people in the first place tells us all we need to know. They only reversed the decision because thousands of people told them what they were doing was immoral. Same goes for the bin dippers.

Completely agree.

I still maintain the scousers only reversed the furlough decision, as they know that public sympathy could be vital in not getting this season written off.

Spurs, well I reckon, they've calculated the various costs of the PR disaster and worked out that is likely to tot up to more than they would save by making the tax payer pay for their groundstaff's wages. I don't believe that Levy has woken up as a principled man.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Think it’s important to bear in mind , there’s a huge difference financially from the top 6 or 7 established big clubs and everyone else . Yes we are premier league but we are not a global brand , are highly unlikely to ever be one and can’t compete financially . It’s only because we have an extremely successful & clever owner that we can compete at all .

It doesnt matter who owner is. Fact is all PL clubs have £140m plus income and this unlike a lot of businesses will return. All the time these clubs including Brighton pay many staff £30k a week and buy players for £10/20m they have no right to ask tax payers to help pay any staffs wages

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It doesnt matter who owner is. Fact is all PL clubs have £140m plus income and this unlike a lot of businesses will return. All the time these clubs including Brighton pay many staff £30k a week and buy players for £10/20m they have no right to ask tax payers to help pay any staffs wages
The income only returns for 17 of the 20 PL clubs. The relegated clubs will be in the financial mire, much more than usual this season.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Norwich = chicken feed

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As I said with Liverpool, a little too late in many people's eyes the damage has been done.

Sitting in bed last night, listening to Talk Sport, Goldstein and Cundy were talking about Spurs wanting £200 million for Harry Kane, clearly post Covid that price will drastically change, but highlights the sheer arrogance of Levy to bandy figures around like that at the same time as going cap in hand to the Tax Payer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But don't ignore that some pay more than this out just in player wages. It's not a given they'll all survive. In many cases it will come down to the chairmen to fund even more gigantic losses.

I'm not advocating, them furloughing staff just to be clear

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here