Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Apollo 13 Explosion 50 years ago today

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I saw the film at the old Screen Three at the Brighton Odeon, then the largest screen south of Leicester Square, and it was stunning.

And the book it was based on, written Jim Lovell (played by Tom Hanks in the film) is well worth reading too.

Both are wonderful tributes to human ingenuity and the spirit of adventure.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I saw the film at the old Screen Three at the Brighton Odeon, then the largest screen south of Leicester Square, and it was stunning.

And the book it was based on, written Jim Lovell (played by Tom Hanks in the film) is well worth reading too.

Totally agree, amazing that both Jim and Fred are alive 50 years on, poor old Jack died at 51

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I regard Apollo 13 and the way it overcame adversity and catastrophe as big an achievment of human endeavour as the actual moon landings.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I've always been aware of the symbolism of the number 13 of that Apollo mission but I was never previously aware that the explosion also happened on the 13th.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

And Hope too.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Fabulous track from the movie by the Mavericks.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Lift off was 13 minutes past the hour.

Although the time launch was officially 14:13 EST it was actually at 13:13 Houston time where mission control was.

The launch date of 11th April 1970 when written as 11/4/70 the individual numerals 1+1+4+7 add up to....

I'm sure one could find quite a few if you look for them

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I love that film. Easy to watch again and again.

I’ve said it before on here but for anybody interested in this era of space exploration you could do worse than catch the Tom Hanks produced HBO series From the Earth to the moon! Aired a few years after the film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here