Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Argus

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I noticed today Argus is now charging to read articles. I think I will stick to reading headlines

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I noticed today Argus is now charging to read articles. I think I will stick to reading headlines

The Argus is not charging to read articles.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I must be special then because I can read the articles without paying.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Every conceivable type of ad, the slightest wrong click and you trigger one of their tedious popups, videos or nosey lifestyle surveys.

In the last throes of its life, desperate for any ad income.
It has been for years now, and there will be many adults here, practically middle who, will have no idea just how huge, indeed powerful, this paper was in B&H.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It has been for years now, and there will be many adults here, practically middle who, will have no idea just how huge, indeed powerful, this paper was in B&H.

They were selling 100,000 hard copies a day in the early 80’s.

Now most online articles are blatant clickbait to draw in dozens of lefties and their counterparts in a slanging match.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

All ok here, I believe they make most of their money by "clickbait".
So that would be shot down straight away.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

I remember as a teenager, living in Crowborough, we could go to the game, get the bus back to Churchill Square and pick up a copy with a match report to read on the 729 bus home, pretty impressive !!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Now most online articles are blatant clickbait to draw in dozens of lefties and their counterparts in a slanging match.

Quite the opposite. The comment section has a clear majority of warped provincials.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

there used to be 3 editions, morning, afternoon and a late extra! and saturday reults edition. it used to be a great local paper with some really good journalists. now its just click bait and ads, no proper journalists. Most of the reports read like they are written by a 15 year old in a remedial English class.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sadly it's just the way things have gone for local papers everywhere. The internet robbed them of ad revenue that paid for the decent journalism. Social media took away their ability to break local news.

It's very easy to slag off the Argus or any other provincial paper. The truth is they don't have the resources to do what they did 20 or 30 years ago.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember as a teenager, living in Crowborough, we could go to the game, get the bus back to Churchill Square and pick up a copy with a match report to read on the 729 bus home, pretty impressive !!

The Night Final. My Dad used to buy it after yet another Albion win at the Goldstone, on our way home.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Night Final. My Dad used to buy it after yet another Albion win at the Goldstone, on our way home.

i used to love reading the results in the night final. Especially as, for whatever reason, they put the half time scores beneath each result.

I remember i used to copy the results out as I was learning handwriting. There was one result I remember, a 1-0 victory over Halifax. My mum had just bought me a new exercise book so I set about copying them out. I tracked down the date recently and I would have been 6 at the time. The Argus of yesteryear invokes a catalyst for many a happy memory. Today, quite the opposite.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

two or three print runs a day too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here