Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Magnificent F1 driver RIP

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
RIP Stirling Moss.
I am old enough to remember his crash at Goodwood all those years ago.
A real old fashioned hero to many of a certain age, including me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember a story my Dad told me about him. In the 1960's as a teacher, he was on a school trip on a bus with all the kids going out of London toward Hampshire. On the motorway, one of the kids spotted a sports car with the roof down being driven by someone who looked like Stirling Moss. My Dad, the other teachers, as well as all the kids, rushed over to the right hand side of the bus to look and they saw it was - Stirling Moss. The kids all cheered at him and waved and he saw and waved back apparently, then he smiled then put his foot down and sped off as all the kids screamed in delight at seeing him do it.

I personally always first remember seeing him be a guest on Sports Personality of the Year as a kid, which he won long before I was born. He always seemed to be a gentleman.

RIP.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Sir Stirling, a true legend of the sport and an absolute gentleman.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He was a true Gent and a bloody good laugh, was lucky enough to meet him a few times, and he and Suzy were on the table next to us at the drivers ball at Goodwood in 2007 . . . . a proper laugh! he also presented my Son with a Laurel wreath when he won the pedal car race a few years ago. . Picture 024.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
RIP Stirling Moss.
I am old enough to remember his crash at Goodwood all those years ago.
A real old fashioned hero to many of a certain age, including me.

Me too, heard it on the car radio as a young kid when we were en route up North to my Grandfathers.

RIP, great driver and a real gent.

His sister used to live in Ferring. Pat Moss the excellent rally driver

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
A real legend. RIP to one of the greatest British sportsmen in history - drove cars in an era when it really was seat of the pants stuff.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Lucky enough to have met SSM a few times. Amazing storyteller and excellent company. His wife Susie is lovely too. His victory in the 1955 Mille Miglia with Denis Jenkinson by his side is the superlative racing victory across the decades.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He was a true Gent and a bloody good laugh, was lucky enough to meet him a few times, and he and Suzy were on the table next to us at the drivers ball at Goodwood in 2007 . . . . a proper laugh! he also presented my Son with a Laurel wreath when he won the pedal car race a few years ago.

I'm assuming looking at that photo he was walking with a stick, which he put behind him to stand up straight and look his best for the camera?

A little bit of classy, proper old school personified there in that photo if so.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Lucky enough to have met SSM a few times. Amazing storyteller and excellent company. His wife Susie is lovely too. His victory in the 1955 Mille Miglia with Denis Jenkinson by his side is the superlative racing victory across the decades.

never met the great man

but seeing him on TV

he was the sort of chap you could listen to all day

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A great driver and a true gentleman. As has already been said, it’s difficult to think of anyone better who hasn’t ever won a championship.

RIP

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
R.I.P. Sir Stirling you gent.

Sadly, due to the virus his funeral will not be the fitting tribute it ought to be.
I imagine thousands would want to turn out in some way and pay their respects.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a life he had, and he did so well to come through an era when so many of his contemporaries died driving. RIP SSM.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here