Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your First Taste Of Football Hooliganism

el punal

It was back in 1966 at the end of an Albion match at the Goldstone. At the time you could “hire” leather cushions for comfort if you sat on the hard wooden seats of the West Stand. From what I remember the game was crap, the Albion were crap and the ref was crap. When the final whistle blew dozens of cushions rained down from the sedentary ultras in the West accompanied by a rendition of that sweary song of “Oh my! What a referee!”

Now I have seen danger at every turn but I was never so frightened as witnessing that display of pure evil and anger. Even standing on the Chicken Run (East Terrace) my heart was in my mouth at the thought of a plumped up seat cushion landing on my head. Disgraceful scenes and football has never been the same since. :mad: :drink:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I remember a group of Southampton fans with attitude walking up Queen's Road on a bank holiday years ago. I looked it up recently and it was January 1978. it was a bit threatening, although there was no fisticuffs. I was 8. Where was PPF to protect me from my angst ?

My first proper experience was at my, I think, sixth away match. Oldham Athletic in 1986. There were always problems there. It's nearly always at the smaller places.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Southend Utd v Cardiff c1977

Sitting in the car with my school friend and his dad waiting to get out of the car park, 8 'diff fans 4 on each side of the car trying to flip it over...

Lucky it was a British Leyland lump

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I remember a group of Southampton fans with attitude walking up Queen's Road on a bank holiday years ago. I looked it up recently and it was January 1978. it was a bit threatening, although there was no fisticuffs. I was 8. Where was PPF to protect me from my angst ?

My first proper experience was at my, I think, sixth away match. Oldham Athletic in 1986. There were always problems there. It's nearly always at the smaller places.

Soton took liberties that day

nearly killed at Oldham

but,my first taste was the Challis game at Stamford Bridge

too young to be allowed in the pub with all the other Brighton fans (including my Dad!)

so stood outside,where I recieved a punch in the face from some passers by and had my bobble hat and scarf nicked

all in all,not a good night!

Jan 30, 2008

All kicked off in a pub in town after the game , Brighton lad got put through the window , you're right there were issues with Oldham
Regards
DF

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Early 80,s I was young very young, I remember it kicking off after the game in hove park and my dad hoisting me up onto his shoulders and my dad legging it away with lads fighting around us, my dad said later that his priority was getting me away from it but I remember thinking it was all very exciting!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Strange, I must have a sixth sense to avoid trouble, as the worst I've ever experienced at Oldham is getting soaked or freezing or both.

Jan 30, 2008
Strange, I must have a sixth sense to avoid trouble, as the worst I've ever experienced at Oldham is getting soaked or freezing or both.

If my memory is correct, that game at Oldham in 86 was a cold one with sleet throughout the game
Went up on the train,when we got off the train at Manchester Victoria after the game there was a mass of steam walking down the platform, great days
Regards
DF

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Chelsea - 1984. We were in front of the Lego stand which was full of Chelsea. My dad got a copper to move us at half time - just as well as that was where they piled on from. Nearly got kicked by a police horse outside after the game as well. My dad would never stand on a terrace again so was in the South or West for the next few years.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Standard outcome at Oldham. Been quite a few times including (when I lived in the NW) with mates watching other teams and its always frozen. Never seen trouble either.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
FA Cup v Chelsea 1973. Chelsea fans ran from the East Terrace into the North Stand long before kick off. There weren't many of us there at that point, so they "took it" easily. I think later on more Brighton arrived and the two sets of fans were kept apart by police. I remember outside the ground some Chelsea fans wearing butcher's coats with writing on them, make-up and Doc Martens. It was all a bit weird and scary for a young Hove boy.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
the worst behaviour I've seen from Brighton fans

would have been Chesterfield away,last game of the season

when we missed out on winning the old div3 to Mansfield

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Got a smack in the mooey, first game of the season in Div 1 against Arsenal. I was 14 at the time and My old man and me were in the chicken run right next to the herd. My Nan ( god bless her) lives in Sackville Rd, so my old man naively said we walk back around through the Arsenal lot. Wrong move.
I had a blue and white scarf on and some pissed up gooner smacked me right in the gob and split my lip. We laughed about it when we got through it, probably nervously.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've gone to three different games that were abandoned or delayed because of different types of hooliganism:

First time I went to a Scania derby a spectator from Malmö threw a banger at the Helsingborg goalkeeper and then him or someone else ran onto the pitch trying to hit him:

Game was obviously abandonded.

One of my first games since moving to Gothenburg was ruined by Ultras finding fireworks in a shed close to the arena:

Just so ****ing stupid. Game was abandoned.

Second time I went to a derby in Stockholm, in 2011, it was a pretty special occasion. The Swedish FA wanted to implement more restrictions on what fans could or could not do so fans of both teams were quiet for the first 10 minutes... after that they started singing and shortly after that the pyro began.

I was really worried the game was going to abandoned, you could feel the heat from the burning and I was actually quite worried that something (except for the pyros) was on fire, but it was difficult to see. However it ended up fine, the game was just delayed for some 30 minutes before it began again.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If my memory is correct, that game at Oldham in 86 was a cold one with sleet throughout the game
Went up on the train,when we got off the train at Manchester Victoria after the game there was a mass of steam walking down the platform, great days
Regards
DF

The 1986 match was in September. I was 17 and had gone on my own. I did travel back and have a few tinnies with some older Albion fans.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Standard outcome at Oldham. Been quite a few times including (when I lived in the NW) with mates watching other teams and its always frozen. Never seen trouble either.

Had trouble there on two occasions. First time on the way back to the station (one Albion lad got a kicking), second time in 1990 just inside the ground. Not a lot, but in the north western towns (I've seen trouble at Bolton and Wigan and got ambushed in Preston) you needed to be mindful.

Preston was funny. I got approached by a group of lads in a high street. They asked me for my wallet. Naturally, tight as I am, there was no way they were getting it. I simply said 'no' and walked away and into a supermarket. All a bit surreal.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
FA Cup v Chelsea 1973. Chelsea fans ran from the East Terrace into the North Stand long before kick off. There weren't many of us there at that point, so they "took it" easily. I think later on more Brighton arrived and the two sets of fans were kept apart by police. I remember outside the ground some Chelsea fans wearing butcher's coats with writing on them, make-up and Doc Martens. It was all a bit weird and scary for a young Hove boy.

FA Cup V Chelsea 1967.
My mate said "I think Osgood is crap" and got smacked in the mouth. We were 14.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Wasnt my first experience but was in the Albion mob that got chased back to the station at Luton. Bottles and bricks rained down on the platform which was a little hairy.

A hairy platform ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here