Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis, Noel and Liam

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes, yes, lots of people hate them and think they are a pair of t###s but anyway.

I've always been a fan (not massive but I like them) and have been listening to Liam's "As You Were" a bit recently.

I've decided it's my favourite album that Oasis or either of the brothers have made individually. It's really very good.

Possibly as controversial as my "Foo Fighters are a better band than Nirvana" opinion. Or possibly nobody will give a shit. But the question is there (for a bit of light relief).

What's the best album they've made? As a band or on their own. And the best tune?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A big fan here also of Oasis.
Definitely Maybe fave album.
Wonderwall fave tune.
Should never make a come back.
Liam is a pain, whereas Noel is the sly windup merchant.

Jimmy Grimble

Good luck getting through this thread without someone being too desperate to chip in and slate all their music.

I think Definitely Maybe is the ‘best’ musically but What’s The Story gets my emotions running all over like very few other albums can do, especially on a blazing hot day like this.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
5E6008CE-06E1-4662-9664-E68B27E31F2F.jpeg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Have seen Oasis 3 time’s now, Knebworth , MK bowl and Wembley. Probably not my favourite but the one that stands out the most was at MK bowl and was Lyla. Proper mayhem that.
I went to see Green Day a couple weeks before at the bowl and that was like a kids party to compare to the Oasis gig, it was more like an England away game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They sort of grew on me after they split rather than at the time. I think that when they were on song they were quite brilliant at times, the Noel/Liam spats are petty, stupid and pathetic really, they should have their heads knocked together and be told to play nicely.

Found myself at The George and Dragon in Worthing just before the Covid-19 business took off and saw a mates band there on a Saturday night. One of the local lads was having a birthday piss up with mates and they kept asking the band for more Oasis covers,,, so the band responded at it was quite an atmosphere... as quoted up the thread, a bit like an England football match...

Before long nearly all the audience were drunkenly singing along with the band and it was bloody good fun.... 40 odd people in a little pub shouting out the lyrics to Don't look Back in Anger was brill !

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I find Liam strangely likeable and an excellent front man. Noel I find often amusing but I think he's probably a nasty *******. Definitely maybe is a great album. They have many many fantastic songs and imo the best band of the last 30 years.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I saw them at Heaton Park in the tour just before they split up. Bloody good gig.

Totally love the new Liam stuff though. Someone posted a thread about this but it's worth a repost....

https://youtu.be/MDhiQfekdxo

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Best album : definitely maybe,
Song : acquiesce

As a side note, Noel’s recent solo stuff is excellent

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have always thought their best song was " don't go away "

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I had tickets to one of their gigs in 97 but the brothers had a spat and the tour was cancelled. I enjoyed Definitely Maybe but they were never as good as they were hyped up to be. Blur were better :thumbsup:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Heresy. Couple of decent tunes.

Gorillaz and Graham Coxon's solo stuff is better.

Agree, Blur couldn’t touch Oasis for me, like you say a couple of decent tunes.
Saw Graham Coxon when he was doing his solo stuff at Leicester uni. Very good

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Heresy. Couple of decent tunes.

Gorillaz and Graham Coxon's solo stuff is better.

Indeed.

Oasis are an iconic band, and were for me the last Big Band to emerge in Pop Music who were Really Brilliant. Plenty of Big Bands and plenty of Really Brilliant band (oh, so many) but none I can recall where the two properties coincide.

I haven't taken too much notice of the solo stuff. Heard a bit. Somewhat apprehensive it is too 'dad rock' for me. Don't want to shine too much daylight on magic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that one of the brothers has spent his whole life at the other's throat, driven by guilt over the fact their dad left him alone and beat the crap out of the other. I think it may be Noel who got the beatings.

Another sad thing is the fate of Adorable, a realy magical band, on Creation, whose career died when McGee put all his energy into Oasis. I love adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-K9bVCuBUE&list=PLILZpLhf83L8G_O2pR5Re8DFgQuGKraR7&index=19

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Indeed.

Oasis are an iconic band, and were for me the last Big Band to emerge in Pop Music who were Really Brilliant. Plenty of Big Bands and plenty of Really Brilliant band (oh, so many) but none I can recall where the two properties coincide.

I haven't taken too much notice of the solo stuff. Heard a bit. Somewhat apprehensive it is too 'dad rock' for me. Don't want to shine too much daylight on magic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that one of the brothers has spent his whole life at the other's throat, driven by guilt over the fact their dad left him alone and beat the crap out of the other. I think it may be Noel who got the beatings.

Another sad thing is the fate of Adorable, a realy magical band, on Creation, whose career died when McGee put all his energy into Oasis. I love adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-K9bVCuBUE&list=PLILZpLhf83L8G_O2pR5Re8DFgQuGKraR7&index=19
I shall check them out Harry.

Do me a deal and listen to Liam's album. I think it's lyrically better than anything Noel has written.

In fairness Noel has said that a lot of what he wrote was just words to fit a tune and although some of his songs have real meaning, a lot are just nonsense fitted around a meaningful chorus.

For What It's Worth is a superb song. Also Wall Of Glass, Paper Crown, Greedy Soul..... It's a genuinely good album and gets better with more listening.

It's variations on a theme (bitterness, forgiveness, it wasn't me guv) and obviously a dig at Noel in many areas. But give it a go.

If you like Oasis then I can't see why you wouldn't like it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I shall check them out Harry.

Do me a deal and listen to Liam's album. I think it's lyrically better than anything Noel has written.

In fairness Noel has said that a lot of what he wrote was just words to fit a tune and although some of his songs have real meaning, a lot are just nonsense fitted around a meaningful chorus.

For What It's Worth is a superb song. Also Wall Of Glass, Paper Crown, Greedy Soul..... It's a genuinely good album and gets better with more listening.

It's variations on a theme (bitterness, forgiveness, it wasn't me guv) and obviously a dig at Noel in many areas. But give it a go.

If you like Oasis then I can't see why you wouldn't like it.

Ok, I will :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here