Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Green Bin collection "paused"

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Here in Mid Sussex it is anyway. Reason given because staff needed for increase in volume of recycling and rubbish collections. How many people are there out there who can drive trucks who are currently deprived of their livelihoods due to this governments draconian restrictions? Surely some of these people could be given temporary work driving green bin collection trucks and would welcome the opportunity to work? Not rocket science. But no. Let's piss the population off in every way we can. Close the garden centres AND cancel the green bin collections.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
They should pick up the general rubbish bins less frequently. They still pick up here every week when, with huge mixed recycle bins and food waste bins, every 3/4 weeks would be more than adequate.

It would also encourage more recycle ... but that's too easy for local gov't to grasp

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They should pick up the general rubbish bins less frequently. They still pick up here every week when, with huge mixed recycle bins and food waste bins, every 3/4 weeks would be more than adequate.

It would also encourage more recycle ... but that's too easy for local gov't to grasp

Not in Brighton and Hove. The main bin collection has been prioritised over recycling which is exactly correct. In a disease pandemic you really do not want unsanitary waste going uncollected for more than a week.

Recycling finally came down our road on Good Friday after a three week absence of collection. They collected everything, even the excess spilling out of recycling bins and were cheered and wished well down the road. Well done, key workers working on a bank holiday and council prioritising the correct things :clap2:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not in Brighton and Hove. The main bin collection has been prioritised over recycling which is exactly correct. In a disease pandemic you really do not want unsanitary waste going uncollected for more than a week.

Recycling finally came down our road on Good Friday after a three week absence of collection. They collected everything, even the excess spilling out of recycling bins and were cheered and wished well down the road. Well done, key workers working on a bank holiday and council prioritising the correct things :clap2:

Not so sure ... after mixed recycling and food waste we put virtually nothing in our general rubbish. Just looked and after a week there's a couple of pieces of non recyclable plastic, the contents of Mrs vacuum and a few assorted wrappers.

I totally agree the well wishes to bin men (and ladies) though :clap:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Difficult to sit 2m away from each other in a truck cab.

Most of the time there's only one person in the cab. It's a poor decision to stop collecting the garden waste, when half the country has to stay at home with nothing to do except tackle the jobs in the garden that they haven't had time to do for ages - they'll be whinging and sending out threatening letters the first time there's a whiff of a bonfire.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Here in Mid Sussex it is anyway. Reason given because staff needed for increase in volume of recycling and rubbish collections. How many people are there out there who can drive trucks who are currently deprived of their livelihoods due to this governments draconian restrictions? Surely some of these people could be given temporary work driving green bin collection trucks and would welcome the opportunity to work? Not rocket science. But no. Let's piss the population off in every way we can. Close the garden centres AND cancel the green bin collections.

What a ridiculous, short sighted and self centred view point.

There's many staff self isolating and there aren't many people that willing to jump in their shoes, including drivers. Saw a advert for casual workers to join the Brighton team. £9 an hour. You want to apply? Quite a high risk job at the moment too.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

There's many staff self isolating and there aren't many people that willing to jump in their shoes, including drivers. Saw a advert for casual workers to join the Brighton team. £9 an hour. You want to apply? Quite a high risk job at the moment too.

Indeed. And sorry I'm part of the population that has zero interest in garden centres and DIY stores for that matter. With 5 year old twins and a love of cricket I've managed to minimise visits to either establishment quite easily.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm in Mid Sussex and we've also been told that the trial for the three bins has been postponed (recyling, food waste and general waste). Do I think it's a disgrace? Of course not.

Guess you have been watching the news lately as you might appreciate what is going on in the world!!

That said, the fact that you posted a load of drivel and haven't yet come back on the thread makes me think you're :fishing: I hope that's the case otherwise you're just a stupid ****,

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ive got an HGV license, and would gladly drive a bin truck for a while as my business is currently flat on its arse, I let my CPC lapse though, I wonder if They would telex the rules in this time of crisis ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

If you bothered to read my post properly, I was suggesting that there are probably many people with truck driving experience who are struggling financially at the moment and would welcome a job driving a green bin collection truck. Not sure what's self centred about that?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm in Mid Sussex and we've also been told that the trial for the three bins has been postponed (recyling, food waste and general waste). Do I think it's a disgrace? Of course not.

Guess you have been watching the news lately as you might appreciate what is going on in the world!!

That said, the fact that you posted a load of drivel and haven't yet come back on the thread makes me think you're :fishing: I hope that's the case otherwise you're just a stupid ****,

I hadn't come back on the thread because I actually have better things to do with my life than sit logged in to NSC all day. I've been to a family BBQ on the beach, played football in the park with some mates, and went for a long drive in the country.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The recycling collection came through this morning, the thing is, they weren't due to come today, they're next scheduled to come on Wednesday. I've had a look at the council website and there's nothing about any changes to the schedule. I hope they still come next week because I didn't get the grey bin out in time.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Agree with the principal.

How do you interview these people make sure they are safe to drive,do they have to pass a test for insurance to drive for the council, do they have to learn a route etc.?

So many questions. Not so many answers.
Its really not as simple as that.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
If you bothered to read my post properly, I was suggesting that there are probably many people with truck driving experience who are struggling financially at the moment and would welcome a job driving a green bin collection truck. Not sure what's self centred about that?

You could be right - but may be there’s a shortage of drivers because they’re suffering from Covid as a result of going out and doing unessential stuff like collecting garden refuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here