Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best local radio commentator

Your favourite local Albion commentator(s)

• Total voters

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
With a lack of current Albion action to feast upon, I've been enjoying some of the old videos on the club website - particularly those involving our ever-partisan (in a good way) local commentators. For me, the best local match day commentator blends broadcasting professionalism, an articulate style, knowledgeability of both sets of players, but with a natural bias, an ability to think and feel like a fan and convey fan-like ecstasy when we score, or secure that crucial point or 3.

It got me thinking, which local radio commentator has been our all-time favourite? I remember John Lees and Tony Millard in the 80s and 90s as well as the late great Brackers who then went on to bigger things. However, as a BHA fan, I reckon the two most enjoyable to listen to have been Andrew 'goal for Brighton & Hove Albion' Hawes, and Johnny 'he's simply box office' Cantor. Sorry - not sure of the name of the current chap, with the Aussie-twang who covers games for MyAlbionTV.

Jul 7, 2003
No Jim Proudfoot or Neil Coppendale on the list? Damn kids!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A big shout for Warren Aspinal. I really do enjoy listening to him and he provides the right balance of passion and analysis. Unlike a lot of radio commentators, and because of his style and also his connections I guess, I find he conveys a very holistic view of each match incredibly well. I’m not sure he could do this in general, but for Albion games and my listening he is brilliant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A big shout for Warren Aspinal. I really do enjoy listening to him and he provides the right balance of passion and analysis. Unlike a lot of radio commentators, and because of his style and also his connections I guess, I find he conveys a very holistic view of each match incredibly well. I’m not sure he could do this in general, but for Albion games and my listening he is brilliant.

Agreed JC and Waspinall are a great combo too

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Agreed JC but can’t stand Warren Aspinal, sometimes I have to turn off the radio. His content is good but his voice drives me mad. Sorry Warren.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

I like Warren too - you get the inside track that comes from him being an ex-pro / BHAFC insider - yet he's not afraid to criticise the club. That said, I think he belongs in the category of 'summariser' rather than 'commentator'.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
JC is probably the best of the lot, but it has to be said that John 'Voice of Sussex Sport' Lees is a total and absolute legend, while Millard was a unique broadcaster. His finest moment was undoubtedly leaving the mic open one evening during a match at The Goldstone back in the early 80s. Andy Ritchie failed to chase after a ball that was going out of play and those unmistakable tones came over the PA: '****ing Hell, pull your finger out, Andy!" He divided opinion among fans, players and managers but it was standing room only at his funeral with dozens unable to get in.

Last edited:

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Slightly off topic, but it annoys me when listening to commentary on Radio 5 that each commentator only does one half of each half.

On local radio, presumably for much less money, they do the full game and then the interviews. I much prefer the local radio way and think they should be applauded for their stamina.

Like so many things it life it seems, the more you are paid, the less you actually have to do.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not sure of his name but there has been yet another change of commentator for the Seagulls TV highlights , if there was a season long prize for the dullest ever commentator the season would be over already .... oh .

I'm guessing he was the only one to show up for the job vacancy , or the directive was you have to be very low key and uncontroversial as to not upset Gladys of hove and Mike from Withdean , the 2 listeners we usually have when there's no football on .

Anyway back to the question , not a clue , as i'm not sure where they live .

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not sure of his name but there has been yet another change of commentator for the Seagulls TV highlights , if there was a season long prize for the dullest ever commentator the season would be over already .... oh .

I'm guessing he was the only one to show up for the job vacancy , or the directive was you have to be very low key and uncontroversial as to not upset Gladys of hove and Mike from Withdean , the 2 listeners we usually have when there's no football on .

Anyway back to the question , not a clue , as i'm not sure where they live .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The answers will be generational. Tony Millard's 'I go mad, we all go mad' has to be the best quote of all.

In the 70s we were only given radio link reports. Not many of them either. Johnny and Warren are a splendid double act. But it's hard to compare eras.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Agreed, love Warren, a proper converted Seagull. Passionate, entertaining, knowledgable and a gent.

I’ve always liked JC too but he has annoyed me this season with, I think, naive and wrong opinions about Potter. He persists with this line that under Potter we will be more entertaining but have to accept we will be poorer defensively and take a few large beatings. Well blatently that’s not true yet he still says it nearly every week. Our problem is not creating or taking enough clear cut chances.

I’ve got a bit annoyed by him, Harms and Durrans on the radio/Albion Unlimited this season generally with the constant harking back to Hughton and at times it comes across like they almost want Potter to fail.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
John Lees, when Sussex finally, finally won the County Championship he stopped his commentary and gave a rousing rendition of Sussex By the Sea.

Probably not in the BBC Training Manual...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here