Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Advice or opinion on a furlough dilemma.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My son in law is to go on furlough but his boss has asked them to come in for 4-6 hours a week to keep the business alive. The boss has said if they don’t he cannot do anything but shut the place down for good. I don’t know the boss although he is prepared to put this in writing. My son in law knows that if they are all made redundant then he won’t be able to get within 7k on earnings at a similar job and that would scupper plans for them to get on the property ladder which at this moment is only the first rung...... it’s a dilemma as well as the whole legal aspect... any input ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think you are allowed to have any input to the business whatsoever if you are furloughed? Love to be wrong

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know how many people work there, or what they do - but wouldn't it be an option to keep one person on full time (the equivalent of half a dozen people doing 4-6 hours a week) and furlough the rest? Or if it's larger numbers of employees, keep one in six working and again furlough the rest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You aren’t - but I think if I was in the same position as the OPs son I would be going in in his position.

So would I but it will be interesting to see if the Government use IT investigations on companies emails etc to check what has been happening during the furlough period. They no doubt have the capability to do this imo.

We are taking no risks, furloughed employees are not working in any capacity.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Clearly this is illegal, but if he is on full pay then he may not want to rock the boat for the sake of doing 4-6 hours per week.

But why doesn't the boss furlough most of the staff properly, and keep 1 or 2 on full time instead ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
May not be legal but I'd do it anyway unless its risking peoples health in any way. Saving his job, saving his boss, plus its probably pretty good from a mental health aspect to spend a few hours a week doing something "important".

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Agree with other responses. Don't forget that furlough is a minimum of 3 weeks so some rotation of staff could happen three weekly as an alternative.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm aware of a couple of small businesses who have furloughed all their staff, but where a very small number pop in for a couple of hours to run payroll, check security, chase up invoices etc. Where there are only 2-20 staff, having them come off furlough in rotation may not be possible to cover the areas needing attention.

All I can say is that if it was me in that situation, I would certainly be happy to do it if it keeps the company running and means there's a job for me to get back to. I assume he's being paid at least 80% of his salary, so I don't think it's unreasonable of them to ask, if it's needed (which, of course, only he will know).

And yes, it's not strictly legal, but I can't see the Government wanting to chase up these situations after it's all over.

And besides, what would like be like if we never did anything illegal, immoral of fattening :wink:

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
No company can FORCE a furloughed worker to work. But, being in a similar situation, I volunteer to do some basic security/Maintenance checks weekly. Slightly different as I live in company accommodation.

One thing I would check though, make sure you would be insured for any work place accidents before deciding.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't know how many people work there, or what they do - but wouldn't it be an option to keep one person on full time (the equivalent of half a dozen people doing 4-6 hours a week) and furlough the rest? Or if it's larger numbers of employees, keep one in six working and again furlough the rest.

this is the correct answer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
So would I but it will be interesting to see if the Government use IT investigations on companies emails etc to check what has been happening during the furlough period. They no doubt have the capability to do this imo.

Whether or not they have the capability - realistically there is absolutely no value in them doing that - and the infrastructure the government we need to put in doing so wouldn’t be worth the return.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Strictly speaking if you’re furloughed you can’t give your employer any service at all.

Is your son in laws boss topping up the wages or just paying the 80%?

If it’s put in writing that staff are required to work while furloughed it could get everyone involved in a whole heap of trouble down the line so I would suggest not documenting it.

In my opinion it’s about give and take on both sides, I’m doing a security check on my branch every 2 or 3 days and have moved a few bits of stock about while I’ve been there purely because it will make my job easier when we all go back. Some of my team have asked to go in and do some bits and bobs but I’ve politely declined.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
IMO the government should have thought about cases such as this. Maybe they will in future so they are just as much culpable if not more. I would, the only issue you may have is if the police start checking more on travel they may ask where he is going. But they have more important things to worry about at the moment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My son in law is to go on furlough but his boss has asked them to come in for 4-6 hours a week to keep the business alive. The boss has said if they don’t he cannot do anything but shut the place down for good. I don’t know the boss although he is prepared to put this in writing. My son in law knows that if they are all made redundant then he won’t be able to get within 7k on earnings at a similar job and that would scupper plans for them to get on the property ladder which at this moment is only the first rung...... it’s a dilemma as well as the whole legal aspect... any input ?

As I understand it, it's the employer that is taking the risk here, in that if he has staff come in at all, he will not be eligible to reclaim 80% wage from HMRC. If it was me I would ask the boss to check the rules and see if he still wants to do that, especially if he thinks the firm will close if his boss can't reclaim, but it should be no legal issue for your son in law.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No company can FORCE a furloughed worker to work. But, being in a similar situation, I volunteer to do some basic security/Maintenance checks weekly. Slightly different as I live in company accommodation.

One thing I would check though, make sure you would be insured for any work place accidents before deciding.

That’s a very good point re insurance, as that could equally apply to your car insurance too, I would imagine, if you have social, domestic and commuting!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why not drop everyone down to 1 day a week and just pay them for that ?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

So the choice seems to be to sit at home and do nothing for 80% of wages for a few weeks, and then get made redundant, vs sit at home and do nothing except 4-6 hrs a week for a few weeks, and then go back to work full-time and continue to earn c£7K more than the average for that work?
Not much of a dilemna for me.

The only issue that none of us can know is how much to believe the boss, regarding shutting the company if your in-law does not go in. Can't say it is a gamble that I would be prepared to take.
(For comparison, I am classed as a 'key worker', am probably working at 120% of normal hours, still getting usual pay, and don't expect any kind of pay rise from the Govt when this is all over, as they will be financially bust from paying the 80% to all the furloughed workers. I don't have a problem with that, BTW.)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So the choice seems to be to sit at home and do nothing for 80% of wages for a few weeks, and then get made redundant, vs sit at home and do nothing except 4-6 hrs a week for a few weeks, and then go back to work full-time and continue to earn c£7K more than the average for that work?
Not much of a dilemna for me.

The only issue that none of us can know is how much to believe the boss, regarding shutting the company if your in-law does not go in. Can't say it is a gamble that I would be prepared to take.
(For comparison, I am classed as a 'key worker', am probably working at 120% of normal hours, still getting usual pay, and don't expect any kind of pay rise from the Govt when this is all over, as they will be financially bust from paying the 80% to all the furloughed workers. I don't have a problem with that, BTW.)
The only issue is the legal one. Practically it makes total sense to do the work and save your job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here