Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Life in Lockdown: which bits do you quite like?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Spending more time with the family is quite nice, although I'm still working we've dropped down to 1 in the office instead of 2 so I'm "on call" a lot of the time.

So far I have been called in 0 times.

Got a 7 week old daughter who is very much attached to her mother at the moment so it is allowing me to concentrate on spending time with our 2 year old. He's awesome and is the youngest teenager in the world, he woke up at 0900 this morning and didn't fancy getting out of bed so just stayed there for another 45 minutes.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nothing. I want to see my family - in real life, not on Skype or on the phone. My grandson could be walking before I see him again! I'd like to drive for ten minutes up to the top of the Cotswolds and admire the view and watch the sun go down.

I'd like a hug too ...........................................

I'm the same, there's nothing I like about it either. On a personal level, I started a new job in February, partly because I hate WFH having done it for too long, but now, whenever they condescend to actually provide me with the right equipment, (I've been issued with dud stuff 2 weeks back) I'll be WFH like everyone else. I so enjoyed finishing work, walking out the office and going for a pint again afterwards. I'm lucky to have a job at all for now at least though.

Talking to people on Skype, WhatsApp, Messenger - it's necessary, but I hate it.

The thought of people I know getting this is awful. I have been in touch with a lot of people I haven't spoken to a while, but to be talking to people I know in a developing country that I lived in and the thought of what may be coming their way and what impact it will on their lives is heartbreaking.

I'm not religious, but I was christened, therefore I have 2 Godfathers and a Godmother, who passed away 26 years ago. One of my Godfather's, a friend of My Dad's, who I've known all my life and has done so much for me, has just been diagnosed with cancer. His family are having to weigh up whether to even start treatment. He lives in Wales. If the worst happens during this, I wouldn't even be able to go to his funeral, that would have about ten people there, instead of the hundred's it would do normally. I want to stroll round the outfield on a hot day at my Dad's cricket club this summer some time, like I've always done. I don't know if I'll ever do that again. I can't even give him a hug now either.

It's all just nothing but disruption, stress and anxiety all of the time, so there's nothing for me either.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It’s nice not rushing around and I am
enjoying the pace of life and the extra time not commuting gives you back

With many businesses and employees now set up for remote working I would hope that one positive that comes out of this is more balance between office based and remote working as it gives people family time back and takes the pressure off of the transport system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm the same, there's nothing I like about it either. On a personal level, I started a new job in February, partly because I hate WFH having done it for too long, but now, whenever they condescend to actually provide me with the right equipment, (I've been issued with dud stuff 2 weeks back) I'll be WFH like everyone else. I so enjoyed finishing work, walking out the office and going for a pint again afterwards. I'm lucky to have a job at all for now at least though.

Talking to people on Skype, WhatsApp, Messenger - it's necessary, but I hate it.

The thought of people I know getting this is awful. I have been in touch with a lot of people I haven't spoken to a while, but to be talking to people I know in a developing country that I lived in and the thought of what may be coming their way and what impact it will on their lives is heartbreaking.

I'm not religious, but I was christened, therefore I have 2 Godfathers and a Godmother, who passed away 26 years ago. One of my Godfather's, a friend of My Dad's, who I've known all my life and has done so much for me, has just been diagnosed with cancer. His family are having to weigh up whether to even start treatment. He lives in Wales. If the worst happens during this, I wouldn't even be able to go to his funeral, that would have about ten people there, instead of the hundred's it would do normally. I want to stroll round the outfield on a hot day at my Dad's cricket club this summer some time, like I've always done. I don't know if I'll ever do that again. I can't even give him a hug now either.

It's all just nothing but disruption, stress and anxiety all of the time, so there's nothing for me either.
Cancer is always a worry of course, but even worse at the moment. Cancer sufferers are certainly going to be victims of Covid-19 without even catching the bloody disease - many people survive cancer these days, but early diagnosis is often a crucial part of the successes. With many, if not all, routine out-patient appointments cancelled, there will be many cancer diagnoses not made - and a three month or more delay could be fatal in many cases.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nothing. I want to see my family - in real life, not on Skype or on the phone. My grandson could be walking before I see him again! I'd like to drive for ten minutes up to the top of the Cotswolds and admire the view and watch the sun go down.

I'd like a hug too ...........................................

Here you go:
hug.PNGhug.PNG

We were due to fly in on 14th March to see the Arsenal game and then a week to see the Grandchildren.

Maybe will see them in late July if flights are resumed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lack of traffic?? I can honestly say, Hangleton has more cars on the road than pre-lockdown. I continue to be confused and amazed as to why so many people are in their cars. Where are they going?

Really, without the constant ebb and flow of learner drivers. Everyone time I have walked in Hangleton during the lockdown there have been far fewer vehicles, maybe I'm not going out at the right time to see this steady stream of vehicles that you see.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s nice not rushing around and I am
enjoying the pace of life and the extra time not commuting gives you back

With many businesses and employees now set up for remote working I would hope that one positive that comes out of this is more balance between office based and remote working as it gives people family time back and takes the pressure off of the transport system.

A salient point.

My company has always been very anti-WFH. I've asked a couple of times if I could WFH one day a week, but got the predictable answer even though there's very little I can do in the office that I can't do at home. Now their hand has been forced and the whole company is WFH. Everything is still functioning, there haven't been any noticable problems so far. If we come through this ok, then there may be room for a rethink.

The lease is up on our office next June and we WILL have to move, as the current office block is being levelled and redeveloped. It would be moronic not to consider drastically downsizing on the office space we rent in order to accommodate WFH.

If there is a real sea-change after this and WFH becomes more prevailant than traipsing in to an office every day, then look at all those empty office blocks that could be converted into social housing for people in need. Talk about a massive WIN/WIN.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seeing far more variety of butterfly than i have for years.

Maybe down to the fact that we're walking for fun (exercise) rather than rushing from A to B

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A salient point.

My company has always been very anti-WFH. I've asked a couple of times if I could WFH one day a week, but got the predictable answer even though there's very little I can do in the office that I can't do at home. Now their hand has been forced and the whole company is WFH. Everything is still functioning, there haven't been any noticable problems so far. If we come through this ok, then there may be room for a rethink.

The lease is up on our office next June and we WILL have to move, as the current office block is being levelled and redeveloped. It would be moronic not to consider drastically downsizing on the office space we rent in order to accommodate WFH.

If there is a real sea-change after this and WFH becomes more prevailant than traipsing in to an office every day, then look at all those empty office blocks that could be converted into social housing for people in need. Talk about a massive WIN/WIN.

its definatly going to make a lot businesses and managers think more positively about working from home. i dont believe its for everyone though, there are downsides as well as the upsides. more flexible working as a default will be the ideal outcome, rather than 9-5, 5 days a week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've spent my entire life trying to avoid talking to other people.

Now I have the full weight of the Government behind me.

Excellent.

The opposite sex has spent the last 35 years recoiling away from me in horror.
Now I'll allowed to get to within 2.1m.

I reckon I'm now 3 metres up on the deal. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not having to find an excuse to stay in and not go to that social thing.
Exploring all the streaming services (several had some very good offers - starzplay 3 months 99p each, shudder free month).
My daily exercise of a bike ride on emptier roads.
Because I only go out when I go for a ride, that's the only time I shop which has restricted how much I buy, saving me money.
Flexible working hours, and no commute (meaning no need to get up as early, and more time at the end of the 'work day' because of no commute home).
Not having to interact with the annoying people at work as much.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Really, without the constant ebb and flow of learner drivers. Everyone time I have walked in Hangleton during the lockdown there have been far fewer vehicles, maybe I'm not going out at the right time to see this steady stream of vehicles that you see.

I live opposite the Grenadier so not much to do but watch out the window at the roundabout. Still queues forming there at all hours of the day. Just don't get it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
More time with the kids
Saving 15 hours communing a week
Saving £500 a month on rail season ticket being cancelled
Still working full time

Going out is overrated anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not having to commute to London on the train and tube, getting ~8 hours sleep a night for the first time in years, finally making the most of our garden and best of all, getting to spend time with my boys (5 & 2). I am normally out of the house before they're up and just get back in time for bedtime. I feel like I haven't been able to connect with my youngest to the same extent as the eldest because of this but we've grown really close spending so much time together.

I am really enjoying it actually.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Having more access to the bar in my house helps.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Still going to work so the only difference for me is I can’t see friends. We have partially gotten over that with our virtual pub that has about 15 regulars. Was busy last night. But it’s not like being with them in person.

Air pollution has cut right down though. I like that. I can see all the way to The Seven Sisters o most days now. Lovely view. Less traffic is a joy.

And I’ve genuinely noticed the wildlife thriving.

Last edited:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I’m loving the routine. I usually spend 2-3 nights away with work, often overseas. Being at home for 4 weeks now has been great. I get the bath the kids rather than FaceTime them. Cook meals rather than eat on the go. I can run most days. On top of this I’m saving north of £1000 a month on childcare and other day to day expenses.

I’m loving it. Although I would probably think differently if it had been pissing with rain for last 3 weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here