Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How COVID is going to affect higher education

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those of you with kids at uni may be interested in a tip off I got from a senior colleague today.

I am at one of the big 3 in London. We teach tens of thousands of students. I was assuming that we would be planning to pick up the pieces in October. Not so. The presumption is there may be still be restrictions on movement and proximity due to COVID. This means the institution must have a plan. And of course the plan is cautious:

"we have been warned to prepare for all taught programmes to deliver teaching online from September, with campus based teaching from January. This is considered an optimistic scenario"

What this means is even if COVID is over by September, because we have to set up everything well in advance - curriculum, assessment, room bookings, staff timetabling (I have 1400 teaching hours a year), all of which has to fit together, we have to decide what to do in the next couple of weeks, and stick to the plan. We can't possible think about improvisation. Before I bore you to death....

The same applies to football as well. What happens from August 2020 to May 2021 will need to be decided soon. Again, the plan will have to be for the worst case scenario. To me that means no football till 2021, for sure.

Back to higher education, a lot of what we do is lab based. That will go out of the window (you can't do a practical online). We will have to invent new delivery and new assessment. We will need to start on that in the next couple of weeks. **** knows how medics will be tought. You can't learn how to become expert at examining a patient and delivering diagnosis and treatment by watching a video (if that were true, England would be awash with imaginative and versatile lovers - what say you about that? ???).

I am a bit taken aback by this. We are quite poor, where I work, at dealing with disruption to teaching at the best of times (vide the recent industrial action). Not good.

If you have kids planning on starting uni in 2020 I'd start looking into a gap year. If you have kids already in uni, especially if lab work, performance and interaction are part of training and assessment, I'd start looking into an interruption. :down:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Crikey. Thanks very much for this. I wonder if you can advise me. My eldest is 19. Last September he started at a uni in the midlands, quickly decided it was not for him, came home and reapplied for this September at Norwich Uni. Given he has already had a gap year, we are not that keen for another. He is taking a foundational year then a degree in humanities and literature which was necessary as previously he was science based. Do you think it would be a disaster for him to work under the scenario you envisage? He is pretty self-motivated and likes working on his own in any case.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Crikey. Thanks very much for this. I wonder if you can advise me. My eldest is 19. Last September he started at a uni in the midlands, quickly decided it was not for him, came home and reapplied for this September at Norwich Uni. Given he has already had a gap year, we are not that keen for another. He is taking a foundational year then a degree in humanities and literature which was necessary as previously he was science based. Do you think it would be a disaster for him to work under the scenario you envisage? He is pretty self-motivated and likes working on his own in any case.

What's wrong with another gap year if he does something productive? Or even if he doesn't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sure. It sounds like his foundation year will require reading and writing. He will need to listen to lectures too. At my place we have 'lecture capture' which means all lectures are recorded with the slides. I would be astonished if Norwich doesn't have the same set up. My guess is that if all unis opt for remote learning till the eand of 2020 (or longer) then this is eminently doable for humanities and literature. All you need is a good internet connection and a decent laptop. This is how I am working right now.

It is also possible to do small group teaching using 'Teams' so if everywhere is like my place Norwich will be setting this up as part of the strategy in the next few weeks.

Keep your eye on the Norwich home pages, and also the BBC web pages. Ignore all the other shite.

If I get further news I'll post it on this thread (in the next few weeks).

Hope that helps :wave:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sure. It sounds like his foundation year will require reading and writing. He will need to listen to lectures too. At my place we have 'lecture capture' which means all lectures are recorded with the slides. I would be astonished if Norwich doesn't have the same set up. My guess is that if all unis opt for remote learning till the eand of 2020 (or longer) then this is eminently doable for humanities and literature. All you need is a good internet connection and a decent laptop. This is how I am working right now.

It is also possible to do small group teaching using 'Teams' so if everywhere is like my place Norwich will be setting this up as part of the strategy in the next few weeks.

Keep your eye on the Norwich home pages, and also the BBC web pages. Ignore all the other shite.

If I get further news I'll post it on this thread (in the next few weeks).

Hope that helps :wave:

Thanks very much. You confirmed what I hoped.
Have a great evening!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What's wrong with another gap year if he does something productive? Or even if he doesn't.

Nothing wrong with the premise you set out. However, he is quite like me when I was that age. The danger is he procrastinates or loses direction. I know he has to find his own way and I want him to make his own mistakes, so I am not putting pressure on him.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nothing wrong with the premise you set out. However, he is quite like me when I was that age. The danger is he procrastinates or loses direction. I know he has to find his own way and I want him to make his own mistakes, so I am not putting pressure on him.

Fair enough, completely get what you're saying. Bear in mind though that life's a marathon. Sometimes I wonder why we push the young to make life-changing decisions when it might be better to wait.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough, completely get what you're saying. Bear in mind though that life's a marathon. Sometimes I wonder why we push the young to make life-changing decisions when it might be better to wait.

Good point.

Many get studying/exam fatigue at 16, 17, 18, etc. Having studied since primary school, bored of the academic part of their life.

I know fulfilled and ‘successful’ people who started Uni at various times in their 20’s. In the intervening period, they had the time of their lives, in the prime years of their life. Then resumed Uni or professional exams when they were ready.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

im sorry, did i read that correctly, a foundation year to do humanities? what have we come to? shirely better to do a proper degree if has done science to now, and leave the literature to his spare time :whistle:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with that. However, unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way of achieving a degree and personal circumstances, tragedies, marriage, children, come along and then it all becomes a little hectic and unaffordable. At least that was my experience. At least when one is young there are likely to be less responsibilities tying one down.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
im sorry, did i read that correctly, a foundation year to do humanities? what have we come to? shirely better to do a proper degree if has done science to now, and leave the literature to his spare time :whistle:
Haha, yeah. He is clever enough to know that science based degrees would have given more opportunity and certainly more remuneration. But in the end, he's following his heart. I have, for the majority of my life, chosen to work in some low paid jobs simply because I could (usually) afford to, and because they interested me and gave me satisfaction. Money is all well and good, but this crisis will probably help a lot of people think about what is really important to them. I hope.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is severe, glad my youngest graduated last year

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Those of you with kids at uni may be interested in a tip off I got from a senior colleague today.

I am at one of the big 3 in London. We teach tens of thousands of students. I was assuming that we would be planning to pick up the pieces in October. Not so. The presumption is there may be still be restrictions on movement and proximity due to COVID. This means the institution must have a plan. And of course the plan is cautious:

"we have been warned to prepare for all taught programmes to deliver teaching online from September, with campus based teaching from January. This is considered an optimistic scenario"

What this means is even if COVID is over by September, because we have to set up everything well in advance - curriculum, assessment, room bookings, staff timetabling (I have 1400 teaching hours a year), all of which has to fit together, we have to decide what to do in the next couple of weeks, and stick to the plan. We can't possible think about improvisation. Before I bore you to death....

I’ve heard this too.

I’m guessing that to conform with ACAS, entry and continuity, all Universities would adopt this one off academic year.

On a typical two semester cycle for a typical course, it would look like:

Jan 2021 - March 2021 Teaching.
April 2021 Easter & Exams.
May 2021 - July 2021 Teaching
August 2021 Exams

Academic years begin as normal for 21/22 on Sept or Oct.

Let’s hope it does not come to this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here