[Politics] MPs give themselves an extra £10k

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not a cash bonus going in their pocket though is it!?

Maybe not their own pocket directly. But we found out during the expenses scandal that many have their partners and relatives and friends on the office pay roll. So it’s fair to say that this money will find its way into the household one way or another.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't see an issue and I think the title is quite misleading. This will just allow them to claim additional costs incurred doing their job when working from home.

Remember that paying MPs well is good for democracy. Otherwise only rich people can afford to be an MP and represent others.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's odd at the very least.

At best, it is a WFH contingency fund that allows for 4/5 good laptops for staff to work on from home. (This then begs the question of why aren't the government prepared for WFH anyway?)

At worst, as [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] notes it will head straight back to MPs directly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't see an issue and I think the title is quite misleading. This will just allow them to claim additional costs incurred doing their job when working from home.

Remember that paying MPs well is good for democracy. Otherwise only rich people can afford to be an MP and represent others.

Quite. I think there should be more ordinary workers as MPs not fewer. I thought we'd moved away from the idea that only people with a private income should become MPs

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure what the issue is. Of course they should supply their staff with the equipment to be able to work from home such as a laptop ( my employer has for me ) and staff claiming electricity bills etc - well anyone can that works from home but directly from HMRC. Clearly the OP just trying to make a political point.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
WFH one day now and then is different from having to buy and find your entire staff networking costs...

Is it? The only thing I can think of is about moving documents if not digital - so postal/courier costs.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just as someone who has set up a WFH protocol (for a far different industry), I am struggling to think of anything that would cost £10,000 needed to "cover any additional costs you may incur to set working remotely as a result of coronavirus" bar new IT supplies - then it is a question of why aren't those supplies already in place?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is it? The only thing I can think of is about moving documents if not digital - so postal/courier costs.

MPs receive on average 300 letters a week; answering all of them by second class post will cost £9,500 - remember they won't be able to use the House mailing facilities. There'll also be courier costs for urgent items.

And there's no guarantee that secretarial staff will have the facilities to work from home (and they certainly won't have the levels of security that's needed).

I thought £10k sounded a bit on the low side - they're obviously assuming things will be back to normal very quickly

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just as someone who has set up a WFH protocol (for a far different industry), I am struggling to think of anything that would cost £10,000 needed to "cover any additional costs you may incur to set working remotely as a result of coronavirus" bar new IT supplies - then it is a question of why aren't those supplies already in place?

Yes, definitely is. If you're office based (especially these days with the H&S stazi around) you need to have a suitable desk, monitor, chair, ergonomic mouse and keyboard etc etc. Occasional WFHers won't usually have this, but will make do with a laptop on the kitchen table or similar for the odd day. Longer term this doesn't work and firms (in this case the Government) will get all sorts of issues with sickness, long term conditions etc - you really do need a sensible setup to prevent things like backache etc. I did this myself (self-funded though) several years ago as my WFH % increased. My home desk set up is better than the office now by a long way (and I don't have a crisp-eating Sharon sharing it when I'm not in, leaving her crumbs all over the ****ing desk) :smile:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How out of touch are these idiots.

Everyone else who is working from home isn't getting an extra £10k, and many others are on 80% wages or even less in this crisis.

Let's hope that the 1st 2nd 3rd question at this afternoons update, is why are MPs getting more rather than standing with everyone else.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/mps-given-extra-10000-work-home-coronavirus-pandemi-12531786/

It’s not a wage though, is it?

Wait till you find out those working at the council have been able to buy things on expenses for things they need to work from home too!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The article states MPs have 26k a year to fund their office. This extra 10k is almost 40% of the annual budget. How does WFH incur such a high addition cost?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
MPs receive on average 300 letters a week; answering all of them by second class post will cost £9,500 - remember they won't be able to use the House mailing facilities. There'll also be courier costs for urgent items.

And there's no guarantee that secretarial staff will have the facilities to work from home (and they certainly won't have the levels of security that's needed).

I thought £10k sounded a bit on the low side - they're obviously assuming things will be back to normal very quickly

It’s 2020, do MPs receive 300 physical letters and reply with a snail mail physical letter?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It’s 2020, do MPs receive 300 physical letters and reply with a snail mail physical letter?

Yes, they do receive 300 letters - a lot more emails. I don't expect they reply to them all, they'll ignore the abusive ones. But the few times I've written to my MP, I've had a reply every time.

Postal and stationery costs will be a big part of that £10k

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, they do receive 300 letters - a lot more emails. I don't expect they reply to them all, they'll ignore the abusive ones. But the few times I've written to my MP, I've had a reply every time.

Postal and stationery costs will be a big part of that £10k

If this is the case then Parliament really does need to be dragged into the 21st century and use electronic methods of communication. I guess they’d then ask for another huge sum to install the internet on their computers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If this is the case then Parliament really does need to be dragged into the 21st century and use electronic methods of communication. I guess they’d then ask for another huge sum to install the internet on their computers.

Probably cheaper than trying to train all 60+ year olds how to use a computer and email I imagine

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The article states MPs have 26k a year to fund their office. This extra 10k is almost 40% of the annual budget. How does WFH incur such a high addition cost?

Because they will still have to pay rent on their office. They probably have desktops in their office so need to get laptops for their staff to be able to work from home. Throw in encryption requirements for those laptops, software costs, paying their staffs' internet, electricity etc for a home office and other one off costs you can easily get to £10k extra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here