Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Restrictions Do You Think Should Be Eased After Current 3 Week Review Period Ends?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For me it's nursery plants and garden centres. This is their one shot in the year to sell their produce. Garden centres by their nature tend to be largely outdoors. Which should serve as an aid to social distancing. And apart from anything else, being able to tend and nurture plants would go a long way towards reassuring huge numbers of gentle fretful people that Life Renews. Green Shoots, literally

Very sad report here the other day:

Coronavirus: Millions of garden plants set to be binned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52098436

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Yes, that should be lifted.

After another three weeks I’d expect smaller businesses to open (fewer than 50 employees seem to be the best idea).

Three weeks after that, pubs, restaurants, cinemas... and dare I say it football stadiums?

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
None.

Garden centres generally tend to be out of town meaning unnecessary journeys for most shoppers. We go to them a lot and would like them to be open but for the greater good just keep it as it is. They should also give clarity in how long one can exercise for.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Nothing should be relaxed IMO, if anything, stricter lockdown measures should be put in place to stop the idiots who don't think it applies to them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No restrictions lifted just yet.

Give it another month, and then review.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is no chance of any easing on Monday. I expect lock down to carry on for 2 more months at least, probably longer

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
None of course. This lockdown needs to continue until at least May with pubs having to close until Christmas.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
None.

Garden centres generally tend to be out of town meaning unnecessary journeys for most shoppers. We go to them a lot and would like them to be open but for the greater good just keep it as it is. They should also give clarity in how long one can exercise for.

They also tend to cater to the ageing population with their ancillary services - cafes, toot shops etc - and we really can’t risk tempting them out into the open until we have a vaccine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our local garden centre is delivering plants to keep their business going.

As for other restrictions, keep them in place until this thing starts dying off.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
people discussing restrictions being lifted haha.

Spain were hitting our numbers a couple of weeks back and are still churning big numbers and that will be for the foreseable.

We are way way off even thinking about it.

Peak seems to go on and on so media even talking about this the same breath as announcing our worst figures yet is astounding. How do they even get air time with those questions at the briefing.

Just makes the public more likely to give in the restrictions the more its discussed and debated.

Way off

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Surely it is too early to lift any restrictions.
Even after there is a loosening of the lockdown, the huge matter of social distancing will presumably still be with us and that precludes an awful lot of activities restarting, for heaven knows how long.
Personally, I think for many people and sectors, this year will be a 'write-off' in so many ways.
The social and economic costs will be huge.
Nevertheless, there has, of course, to be an exit plan.
I hope I am being over gloomy!

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Nothing on Monday.

What to relax first, at whatever stage we can do that, is a good question though.

I would try something low-key which is easy to reverse if the number started to go up again. On this basis I would suggest removing the 'one trip out for exercise a day' limit, and allow people to go out as many times as they want per day. Possibly could look at allowing people more leisure activities- e.g. the sort 'sit down on the beach / park' stuff which is banned at the moment.

Give that a couple of weeks and if no uplift in figures then maybe look at getting some economic activity back up and running, e.g. could re-open shops, hairdressers etc. get the high street open apart from cafes restaurants and pubs. And go on from there until all businesses are back open. Schools followed by large gatherings e.g. football matches with fans attending may be the last to come back on stream.

No idea when holidays / foreign travel may open up again as there is a clear concern about people travelling en-mass to areas where they could bring the virus to. But the countries reliant on tourism e.g. Spain and Greece will be v. keen i guess.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is this a joke thread? No change for at least next feview period. Let up now and the peak will become a thousand times worse.

Spare us the fake outrage and hyperbole. Hmgov will feel under severe pressure to throw the populace some form of a pat on the head, however meagre and symbolic

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This is the exit plan for Austria:

From 14 April, small shops, do-it-yourself stores and garden centres will be allowed to reopen
From 1 May, all shops, shopping centres and hairdressers will be allowed to reopen
Restaurants, hotels and other service providers will probably be able to open gradually from mid-May.

The curfew will be extended until the end of April, allowing people to leave the house for just four reasons; to go to work, to make urgent errands such as to buy groceries, to help other people in need and to go for a walk or exercise. Also, bigger events may not take place until the end of June. The measures will be reviewed every two to three weeks and will be adjusted on the basis of the data available.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
people discussing restrictions being lifted haha.

Spain were hitting our numbers a couple of weeks back and are still churning big numbers and that will be for the foreseable.

We are way way off even thinking about it.

Peak seems to go on and on so media even talking about this the same breath as announcing our worst figures yet is astounding. How do they even get air time with those questions at the briefing.

Just makes the public more likely to give in the restrictions the more its discussed and debated.

Way off

Agreed - Spain were a few weeks ahead of us and announced lockdown until end of April at least now. Can't see much changing here with our numbers still climbing

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agreed - Spain were a few weeks ahead of us and announced lockdown until end of April at least now. Can't see much changing here with our numbers still climbing

The Spanish government are talking about relaxing restrictions at the end of the current lockdown period, 26th April, so I imagine the UK will follow shortly after. Measures here are currently stricter than in the UK though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here